The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

NFHS "Low Block" on defense

NFHS-Looking for some help with low contact on the defense. It was a point of emphasis this year, that defense player's can not simply "cut' lead blockers. We had a HS Varsity coach all over our WH last week about this. I did not see the play as I am the HL and it went in to the opposite corner on a try.

But as I read further in to it, it also talks extensively about the low contact on the defense being legal on a runner, or "pretended runner."

This leaves lots to interpretation.

So I do not know if the defender just submarined the Fullback or tackled him or what. I guess my question is, what do we need to be looking for to make sure we get this right. Because it will cause some waves when called.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I think the focus here is on the lead blockers. Blocker is the key here, they are not pretending to be runners. A pulling guard or tackle, the lead back, these are the people who are getting illegally cut.

I know for me, I start watching those lead blockers for potential holds and its not always in my mind to be aware of them getting cut. We've just got to be aware that they can't be cut down when clearing the way.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

The focus simply has to be on the rule of when and by whom it is lega to BBW. It is legal to BBW if
1. all the players involved in the blocking are on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap
2. the contact is in the zone
3. the ball is still in the zone

PaulJak, you cannot just look at the lead blocker, cuz a pulling guard could legally get cut by a d-lineman if they were both on the LOS at the snap, the block was in the zone, and the ball was in the zone. Now, a full back could not be cuz he was not on the LOS at the snap.

These three things are all you need to know and be able to explain to a coach.

BTW, I have a good document I created for one of our pregames on blocking, free blocking zones, illegal blocks. Send me a private message if you want me to email it to you.

Last edited by MJT; Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 11:12am.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJak
I think the focus here is on the lead blockers. Blocker is the key here, they are not pretending to be runners. A pulling guard or tackle, the lead back, these are the people who are getting illegally cut.

I know for me, I start watching those lead blockers for potential holds and its not always in my mind to be aware of them getting cut. We've just got to be aware that they can't be cut down when clearing the way.
There's no harm done cutting down a lead blocker once he's thru the hole, which you can hardly distinguish from getting low and in the way of the runner or submarining in an attempt to avoid a block. What the rule is against is the tactic of cutting pulling linemen as they're pulling across the backfield getting to the hole. Defenses had been formulated to make use of their back side linemen, who would wind up uselessly behind the play, by throwing them across the path of pulling OLs. When the current restrictions on BBW were adopted, it must've been this tactic they had in mind when they made it legal for team A but not team B.

Robert
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
PaulJak, you cannot just look at the lead blocker, cuz a pulling guard could legally get cut by a d-lineman if they were both on the LOS at the snap, the block was in the zone, and the ball was in the zone.
Didn't Fed specify that only the D linemen could be cut by the O linemen, and not vice versa? Or am I getting mixed up with some other rule set or behind on recent changes?

Robnert
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Didn't Fed specify that only the D linemen could be cut by the O linemen, and not vice versa? Or am I getting mixed up with some other rule set or behind on recent changes?

Robnert
REPLY: No Robert...BBW is legal for both D and O linemen provided all the criteria are met. They specifically allow D-linemen to go low at the LOS so that they can try to submarine the offensive line on short-yardage or goal line defenses.

You might be thinking of legal clipping and legal blocks in the back which are only permitted by O-linemen against D-players subject to the restrictions in 2-17.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
There's no harm done cutting down a lead blocker once he's thru the hole, which you can hardly distinguish from getting low and in the way of the runner or submarining in an attempt to avoid a block. What the rule is against is the tactic of cutting pulling linemen as they're pulling across the backfield getting to the hole. Defenses had been formulated to make use of their back side linemen, who would wind up uselessly behind the play, by throwing them across the path of pulling OLs. When the current restrictions on BBW were adopted, it must've been this tactic they had in mind when they made it legal for team A but not team B.

Robert
Robert, there are 2 things you stated that I do not understand. I assume you are talking about NF rules here.

1. You said "there's no harm done cutting down a lead blocker once he's thru the hole," which is a foul unless "the players are on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap, the contact is in the zone, and the ball is still in the zone."
You also said "submarining in an attempt to avoid a block" is ok, which it is not unless "the players are on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap, the contact is in the zone, and the ball is still in the zone."

2. It seems you are you saying that B cannot cut A if the players are on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap, the contact is in the zone, and the ball is still in the zone? If so, you are incorrect. Both A and B can BBW if the 3 points I mentioned above are in place.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

once the ball leaves the zone the zone disintegrates. It does not reappear if the ball reenters the zone. Pulling guards can not be cut by DLs unless the QB keeps the ball in the zone to run it or hand it off. In shotgun it definately leaves the zone immediately.

I often see LBs start out of the zone and then cut the lead blocker who was also out of the zone at the snap. Seldom if ever is this called.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 08:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd5521
NFHS-Looking for some help with low contact on the defense. It was a point of emphasis this year, that defense player's can not simply "cut' lead blockers. We had a HS Varsity coach all over our WH last week about this. I did not see the play as I am the HL and it went in to the opposite corner on a try.

But as I read further in to it, it also talks extensively about the low contact on the defense being legal on a runner, or "pretended runner."

This leaves lots to interpretation.

So I do not know if the defender just submarined the Fullback or tackled him or what. I guess my question is, what do we need to be looking for to make sure we get this right. Because it will cause some waves when called.
CANADIAN RULING:

Blocking below the waist is legal only in the CLPA (close line play area), similar to your FBZ.

CLPA: tackle to tackle, and within 2y of LS.