Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
maybe im missing something.

my post was a simple yes or no question that should be a very easy question for any baseball ump to answer with a simple yes or no.

as you can see by my first followup post, i have nothing to do with the question, i was simply trying to help someone else out, bc i knew of this forum, and i knew it was a simple yes or no question.

i dont play baseball, i dont umpire baseball, heck, i hardly even watch baseball, so, i dont care about pouring over the rulebook, or purchasing manuals.
I really don't care either way what you think or what you choose to purchase or not purchase. If you want help on this board, I'm simply giving you advice just like some of the other veterans on here. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Steve --

1) My original response was offered in the spirit of the "give a man a fish...teach a man to fish" saying.

2) You'd be surprised what else you can learn by looking through the "13 pages" of rules.
thats lovely.

if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?

the reason i ask is bc i would assume the answer would be no, and that an actual response, maybe with a rule mixed in, would be given. thus one could only deduce that a certain "obscure" rulebook question threshold would have to be crossed to receive a straight answer. which would lead me to ask why my original question was deemed so mundane that it couldnt be answered legitimately.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes it depends on who answers first.

I will point out that a follow-up question in that thread elicited the following response: "I and most on this forum could easily tell you but I listed the rule from the book in post #2. See if you can figure it out. Learn on your own and it will be much clearer for you. "

That's similar to the advice you received.

(If I was being sarcastic, I'd wonder why you didn't read that thread first and then read the rule referenced therein. But, I'm not, so I won't.
)
maybe that was the 100% best thread reference i could have used, BUT, i looked at the first page of the forum, saw what seemed to be a relatively easy question, read the first few responses and noted how they all were legitimate, and stopped reading the thread bc i wasnt looking for words of wisdom, just a thread were ppl were given real answers to a simple question.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thats lovely.

if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?
No. It would have recieved the reply of "Do any of the exceptions in the "how a run scores" rule apply?"

Neither cryptic, nor sarcastic to the usual types of people who post questions here.
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:

i dont play baseball, i dont umpire baseball, heck, i hardly even watch baseball, so, i dont care about pouring over the rulebook, or purchasing manuals.
steve,

Have you considered coaching? Sounds like you're eminently qualified.

JM
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I really don't care either way what you think or what you choose to purchase or not purchase. If you want help on this board, I'm simply giving you advice just like some of the other veterans on here. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me
that seems to be the crux of our situation, i dont want help, i wanted a simple yes or no answer.

i tried to preface that when i said "quick question". lesson learned, next time i post on an "experts" forum looking for a simple answer, ill explicitely say that and that i want a yes or no response.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
quick question,

2 outs, runner on 1st misses 3rd base on a HR. defense appeals, does the batters run count?
No.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. It would have recieved the reply of "Do any of the exceptions in the "how a run scores" rule apply?"

Neither cryptic, nor sarcastic to the usual types of people who post questions here.
thats the problem with your philosophy of answering questions. IF I KNEW IF ANY OF THE EXCEPTIONS IN THE "HOW A RUN SCORES" RULE APPLY, I WOULDNT HAVE ASKED.

maybe its different in the baseball umpiring world, but in the real world, when someone asks a question, its most often bc they dont the answer. if your boss asked you if you are working tomorrow, would you reply "am i on the schedule?" of course you wouldnt and of course your boss would think you are being a prick. if your spouse (if thats possible) asked you if its supposed to be sunny out tomorrow, would you reply "what does the forecast say?" of course you wouldnt, unless you wanted to get slapped in the face.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

its amazing how quiet this thread got. its almost as if mr jenkins werent scurrying away back onto his high horse, just waiting for his next chance to pounce on an innocent rules question, after being shown the lunacy in his ways.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

steveshane,

Thanks for your input.

You got your answer, so how about you just run along now?

Your comments are ill-informed and absurd.

Bob actually provides an immense amount of value to the content of this forum, while you provide "less than zero".

JM
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I ran into Steve over the weekend.

I was in the local sporting goods store and he was asking the manager where he could find a bat with hands attached to it.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
maybe its different in the baseball umpiring world, but in the real world, when someone asks a question, its most often bc they dont the answer. if your boss asked you if you are working tomorrow, would you reply "am i on the schedule?" of course you wouldnt and of course your boss would think you are being a prick. if your spouse (if thats possible) asked you if its supposed to be sunny out tomorrow, would you reply "what does the forecast say?" of course you wouldnt, unless you wanted to get slapped in the face.
For one, if my boss didn't know if I was working tomorrow, I'd have to make assumptions he's an idiot, since we have a leave calendar, and I keep my boss informed.

But more importantly: you're neither my boss nor my wife. So it's really irrelevant how I respond to them. And actually, since you AREN'T my boss or wife, you're MORE likely to get the sarcastic version.

And let's not forget: you're on an officials forum, asking a question that isn't an ridiculously easy one, but certainly one that can be answered on one's own by looking for it. That's what we do as officials - study the rules. You don't want to? Go to a different place to look for it. Or at least don't wait until your feelings get hurt to mention that you're not an umpire, but a casual fan.

Mr Jenkins didn't scurry away; he was tired of dealing with your whining. Go away now.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:55pm
In Time Out

Wow! What a great read. A running two hour thread of bullshiite.........

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Jul 07, 2010 at 04:21pm.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 03:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

steve, you've been around here long enough to not be surprised when you get slapped around for being lazy. Please quit acting like a victim.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I thought there was no crying in Baseball?