The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Arguing balls and strikes?

In an NCAA game, the umpire had obviously been making questionable calls behind the plate. The home team coach went to the umpire and confronted him about the "bad calls" he'd been making throughout the game.

This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected.

On this one occasion, the umpire warned him, and the coach replied, "I didn't argue a SINGLE PITCH!"

It was either this occasion, or another time, when the coach asked the umpire, "How come you never call the third strike?"

I don't remember the outcome of this argument.

There was another occasion where the umpire sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him. Later, he approached the umpire from the dugout. The umpire said, "STOP! Not one more step!" The coach said, "This is about something else!" He took one more step, and the umpire tossed him.

Comments, please?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

My first question is ... how do you know all of this? Were you the umpire? Coach? Someone close enough to hear all this?

And define "obviously questionable".

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Error:404 Question Not Found.

Is there a question in there somewhere?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

"This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected."

Sportsmanship at its finest...if he wants to be dumped...dump him.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
Comments, please?
Comments about what?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In an NCAA game, the umpire had obviously been making questionable calls behind the plate. The home team coach went to the umpire and confronted him about the "bad calls" he'd been making throughout the game.
This must have been the same plate umpire that you witnessed overruling the base umpire on an attempted steal of second base.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
This must have been the same plate umpire that you witnessed overruling the base umpire on an attempted steal of second base.
Not the same umpire. However, I know that the "overruling" umpire wears glasses at his day job. (They might be for reading).
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
My first question is ... how do you know all of this? Were you the umpire? Coach? Someone close enough to hear all this?

And define "obviously questionable".
I was a fan, and attended many home games over the past several years. Sometimes I could hear the actual words that were said, especially if they were shouted loudly enough.

Last edited by bsaucer; Tue Jun 29, 2010 at 01:47pm. Reason: wording
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was a fan, and attended many home games over the past several years. Sometimes the I could hear the actual words that were said, especially if they were shouted loudly enough.
I, for one, am still not clear on what, if anything, you are asking in this thread.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Comment: There must not be any accountability for this coach if he can get ejected repeatedly and still be coaching.

Comment: If it happens regularly, you really can't blame the umps in any given game; he's lost the credibility required for that.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected.

On this one occasion, the umpire warned him, and the coach replied, "I didn't argue a SINGLE PITCH!"

It was either this occasion, or another time, when the coach asked the umpire, "How come you never call the third strike?"

I don't remember the outcome of this argument.

There was another occasion where the umpire sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him. Later, he approached the umpire from the dugout. The umpire said, "STOP! Not one more step!" The coach said, "This is about something else!" He took one more step, and the umpire tossed him.

Comments, please?
None of this sounds "real" to me... for various reasons. Umpires at the NCAA level aren't going to waste their time catering to this nonsense. I seriously doubt your ability to determine whether the umpire was making questionable ball-strike calls or not, regardless of where you were sitting. And if he's ejected this often, he's not going to last long at that level.

Also, Umpires at the NCAA level are not going to "sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him". Either he's ejected or he's not - there's no seatbelt rule in college. And no umpire at the NCAA level would ever say, "STOP! Not one more step!"

All of that said... we're all still wondering if you had a question, or were just looking to gripe.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Comment: There must not be any accountability for this coach if he can get ejected repeatedly and still be coaching.

Comment: If it happens regularly, you really can't blame the umps in any given game; he's lost the credibility required for that.
He's been coaching for many years, and has set career records for his team victories.

As for his tendancies for arguing, I've seen him actually WIN arguments several times.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Was this a day game or a night game?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's been coaching for many years, and has set career records for his team victories.

As for his tendancies for arguing, I've seen him actually WIN arguments several times.
Can you describe one for us? I'm not sure I've EVER seen a coach "win" an argument... the closest might be when a coach comes out and says, "I think you may have missed a pulled foot there - can you go ask for help?" But that's not really an argument ... nor is it "winning". Examples please?

What level of NCAA is this anyway? The umpires you describe don't sound like NCAA umpires to me.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Was this a day game or a night game?
Finally, a question to answer!