The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Arguing balls and strikes? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58500-arguing-balls-strikes.html)

bsaucer Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:50am

Arguing balls and strikes?

In an NCAA game, the umpire had obviously been making questionable calls behind the plate. The home team coach went to the umpire and confronted him about the "bad calls" he'd been making throughout the game.

This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected.

On this one occasion, the umpire warned him, and the coach replied, "I didn't argue a SINGLE PITCH!"

It was either this occasion, or another time, when the coach asked the umpire, "How come you never call the third strike?"

I don't remember the outcome of this argument.

There was another occasion where the umpire sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him. Later, he approached the umpire from the dugout. The umpire said, "STOP! Not one more step!" The coach said, "This is about something else!" He took one more step, and the umpire tossed him.

Comments, please?

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01pm

My first question is ... how do you know all of this? Were you the umpire? Coach? Someone close enough to hear all this?

And define "obviously questionable".

LMan Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16pm

Error:404 Question Not Found.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

GoodwillRef Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53pm

"This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected."

Sportsmanship at its finest...if he wants to be dumped...dump him. :D

bob jenkins Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 683752)
Comments, please?

Comments about what?

asdf Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:08pm

Quote:

In an NCAA game, the umpire had obviously been making questionable calls behind the plate. The home team coach went to the umpire and confronted him about the "bad calls" he'd been making throughout the game.

This must have been the same plate umpire that you witnessed overruling the base umpire on an attempted steal of second base.

bsaucer Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 683814)
This must have been the same plate umpire that you witnessed overruling the base umpire on an attempted steal of second base.

Not the same umpire. However, I know that the "overruling" umpire wears glasses at his day job. (They might be for reading).

bsaucer Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 683762)
My first question is ... how do you know all of this? Were you the umpire? Coach? Someone close enough to hear all this?

And define "obviously questionable".

I was a fan, and attended many home games over the past several years. Sometimes I could hear the actual words that were said, especially if they were shouted loudly enough.

bob jenkins Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 683825)
I was a fan, and attended many home games over the past several years. Sometimes the I could hear the actual words that were said, especially if they were shouted loudly enough.

I, for one, am still not clear on what, if anything, you are asking in this thread.

Adam Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:46pm

Comment: There must not be any accountability for this coach if he can get ejected repeatedly and still be coaching.

Comment: If it happens regularly, you really can't blame the umps in any given game; he's lost the credibility required for that.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 29, 2010 01:56pm

Quote:

This coach has a reputation for "in your face" arguing with umpires, and has been ejected many times. In fact, as a fan, I feel that the coach hasn't finished his "job" with the umpire until he succeeds in getting himself ejected. The fans usually cheer him when he finally does get ejected.

On this one occasion, the umpire warned him, and the coach replied, "I didn't argue a SINGLE PITCH!"

It was either this occasion, or another time, when the coach asked the umpire, "How come you never call the third strike?"

I don't remember the outcome of this argument.

There was another occasion where the umpire sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him. Later, he approached the umpire from the dugout. The umpire said, "STOP! Not one more step!" The coach said, "This is about something else!" He took one more step, and the umpire tossed him.

Comments, please?

None of this sounds "real" to me... for various reasons. Umpires at the NCAA level aren't going to waste their time catering to this nonsense. I seriously doubt your ability to determine whether the umpire was making questionable ball-strike calls or not, regardless of where you were sitting. And if he's ejected this often, he's not going to last long at that level.

Also, Umpires at the NCAA level are not going to "sent him to the dugout after an argument and refused to talk to him". Either he's ejected or he's not - there's no seatbelt rule in college. And no umpire at the NCAA level would ever say, "STOP! Not one more step!"

All of that said... we're all still wondering if you had a question, or were just looking to gripe.

bsaucer Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 683830)
Comment: There must not be any accountability for this coach if he can get ejected repeatedly and still be coaching.

Comment: If it happens regularly, you really can't blame the umps in any given game; he's lost the credibility required for that.

He's been coaching for many years, and has set career records for his team victories.

As for his tendancies for arguing, I've seen him actually WIN arguments several times.

Welpe Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:02pm

Was this a day game or a night game?

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaucer (Post 683836)
He's been coaching for many years, and has set career records for his team victories.

As for his tendancies for arguing, I've seen him actually WIN arguments several times.

Can you describe one for us? I'm not sure I've EVER seen a coach "win" an argument... the closest might be when a coach comes out and says, "I think you may have missed a pulled foot there - can you go ask for help?" But that's not really an argument ... nor is it "winning". Examples please?

What level of NCAA is this anyway? The umpires you describe don't sound like NCAA umpires to me.

mbyron Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 683837)
Was this a day game or a night game?

Finally, a question to answer! :D