The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How do you folks handle coaches or players that argue balls and strikes?

In the pre game I like to make it clear that it won't be tolerated. If a coach or player argues a pitch, I give them a warning that arguing balls and stikes will not be tolerated and that if it happens again they will be ejected. I will only give one warning. I sent a coach home the other night for this very thing. Just wondering should this be the policy I use or is there another way to handle this?
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Moaning and groaning about strikes is part of the game. Arguments about strikes and balls is another thing. In ASA, Rule 10-9-D says it will not be tolerated. After the 1st instance, a team warning will be issued. On 2nd offense, there's an ejection. If it's really bad, that means the ejection is either a pitcher or catcher on my field.

Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Same in NFHS Rule 3-6-17. Course if you figure the
incident is minor in nature, just warn'em. ONCE is
all they get. Nope, sending coacher. Then if it
continues, F1 or F2, if involved.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

"In the pre game I like to make it clear that it won't be tolerated."

I would NOT discuss this in a pre-game. Keep things positive in the conference.

What do you mean by arguing? Are they coming out and having a "discussion" with you at home plate during the game or between innings. If so, at that time you can inform them the subject is not open for discussion and then walk away.

If they are sniping at you from the dugout or coaches boxes then you have to accept a certain amount. Try to enjoy it. Sometimes coaches can get very inventive and humorous ("Bring em up, Blue - that's not a sand wedge she's holding.")

But if it gets too loud, or personal, or it starts to embolden players or fans, then you need to bring it under control.

I'd call time, pull out my lineup card, check the number of the batter, and then move over to the coach. The conversation might be as follows:

“Uh, Coach, I want you to look at this lineup card with me, BUT we are not here to talk about the lineup. Keep looking at the card while I tell you that I am not going to tolerate any more of your carping at me. You know that you are not allowed to question my judgment calls and it has got to end. So tone it down Coach, or I’ll be asking you for the name of your assistant coach – cause you’ll be watching the rest of the game from the parking lot.”

Coach: “Yeah, well your strike zone sucks.”

Me: “We are not going to talk about any more Coach. Now smile” (pointing at the lineup card) “and agree with me that this is OK now, RIGHT COACH! Thanks!”

You made it a private conversation. And you remained in control. You started the conversation, you made your point, and you ended it on your terms and then walked away. If he thinks about it, the coach will probably be happy that you didn’t embarrass him in public.

WMB

Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

WMB, Great idea focusing the discussion around the line-up card. Keeps non involved parties out of the "discussion".
I'll keep that one in the back of my mind for later use.
I will usually give the coach one answer on a close pitch on the corner.

Coach: Where was that pitch?
Blue: Outside or Inside.

2nd time -
Blue: Out of the strike zone.

Generally do not have a problem after that. Keep the strike zone "consistently acurate"

[Edited by Duke on Apr 11th, 2004 at 10:07 AM]
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
WMB, Great idea focusing the discussion around the line-up card. Keeps non involved parties out of the "discussion".
I'll keep that one in the back of my mind for later use.
I will usually give the coach one, on a close one on the corner.

Blue: Outside or Inside.

2nd time -
Blue: Out of the strike zone.

Generally do not have a problem after that. Keep the strike zone "consistently acurate"
If the umpire uses the slight nuances taught at the schools concerning pitch indicators, the coach should never have to ask that question. That is assuming the coach understands the game.

I will not respond to any coach's request for ball location. If the coach wants to know where it is, he can ask his catcher. Of course, the catcher will know where I thought the pitch was if she is paying attention.

Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

The card is a great idea. Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Like Mike, I don't respond to coaches on strike zone questions. I do talk to the catchers, as long as they do it in a non-confrontational manner. If they just ask "Where was that Blue?" without turning her head, or dropping her glove or any other way to show her frustration, I'll tell her, inside , outside, low, whatever. If the ball is very close to a spot, ie, misses a strike by just an inch or so, I'll declare "Ball" and just loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear say "inside". That way, when the coach yells loud enough for the next ball field to hear "Where was that, Sally?", she can look at him and tell him. This kinda reinforces your call, to him and the crowd. A lot of times, if you and your catcher are working together well, they can be your best tool for crowd control concerning balls and strikes.

Like WestMichBlue said, have fun with it as long as you can. One night my brain decided to not register the outside corner as a strike for the whole game. I was hearing it from the coaches and crowd pretty good. Finally a dad sitting in a lawn chair about 30 feet the other side of 1st base yells at me that "that caught the corner, I could see it from here!" I had to call time, stand up and look at my partner who was already laughing and walking to the OF so the crowd couldn't see him doing it. I couldn't keep the grin off my face, but I did keep from bustin out laughing. The catcher was making a few insulting comments about the intelligence of the crowd. I asked her if that was her dad and she told me no way. I got myself back together and finished the game.

Have fun.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: "Where was that pitch blue".

Me: "Outside the prescribed strike zone coach".

If a catcher asked in a nice way, I told her/him.