The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:52pm
In Time Out

New 3 Man Mechanics?

I saw this in an American Association game about two weeks ago.

No runners on and batter hits a hard ground ball between the bag and F5. U2 points the ball fair and turns as the ball is rolling down into the LF corner. U2 then immediately starts chasing the ball down into the corner. U1 comes in and pivots and takes the BR into second. HPU just stands at home.

My question is why did U2 chase the ball down into the corner and HPU stay at home? I don't recall ever seeing an umpire go out on a ground ball before.

I suppose the crew reverted back to two man when the U2 went out and U1 would have take the BR into third. Should HPU have been at 3B?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I saw this in an American Association game about two weeks ago.

No runners on and batter hits a hard ground ball between the bag and F5. U2 points the ball fair and turns as the ball is rolling down into the LF corner. U2 then immediately starts chasing the ball down into the corner. U1 comes in and pivots and takes the BR into second. HPU just stands at home.

My question is why did U2 chase the ball down into the corner and HPU stay at home? I don't recall ever seeing an umpire go out on a ground ball before.

I suppose the crew reverted back to two man when the U2 went out and U1 would have take the BR into third. Should HPU have been at 3B?
Was there a possibility that the ball could have gotten lodged in something down the third base line?
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

WHat field? Are their ground rule / DBA issues in left field at that field? I think you know the answers to the other questions.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My question is why did U2 chase the ball down into the corner and HPU stay at home?
If there's "trouble" in the corner (gate, tarp, fans, etc.), then the umpire should chase the ball.

When an umpire goes out, the others revert to two-person.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Depends upon the field. Also, it's better to be "safe then sorry" meaning perhaps this umpire thought there could be "trouble" out in the LF corner somewhere so he followed the ball.

You still have 2 umpires left so the 2 umpires who are left simply revert back to 2 man mechanics.

Since we only have one runner U1 would take the BR all the way around just like he would in 2 man. The PU stays home.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

We are instructed to take the ball if there is a possibility of the ball going into trouble spots or possible fan interference. Some parks have funky areas where the ball could get hung up, dead ball areas, or fans close to the field. As stated earlier, when U2 goes out, it reverts to 2 man and U1 has the BR into third.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

BTW its U3...

and yes he was going down following it in case it gets lodged or touched by a fan. Was this game in Pensacola?
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 03:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
We are instructed to take the ball if there is a possibility of the ball going into trouble spots or possible fan interference. Some parks have funky areas where the ball could get hung up, dead ball areas, or fans close to the field. As stated earlier, when U2 goes out, it reverts to 2 man and U1 has the BR into third.
The reason I asked is because I have seen similar hits that U2 didn't go out on at the same ballpark. I've worked just maybe four or five games of three man and wasn't sure if the mechanic was something that had been added recently. The only thing that would have made the it a trouble ball was is that there is a tunnel down the left field line that goes under a walkway and the players exit to the playing field.

It didn't look like it would even come close to the tunnel. I suppose it was a case of preventive umpiring.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reason I asked is because I have seen similar hits that U2 didn't go out on at the same ballpark. I've worked just maybe four or five games of three man and wasn't sure if the mechanic was something that had been added recently. The only thing that would have made the it a trouble ball was is that there is a tunnel down the left field line that goes under a walkway and the players exit to the playing field.

It didn't look like it would even come close to the tunnel. I suppose it was a case of preventive umpiring.
Different U3's, different hits = different results.

Or, one or more of them may have been mis-read.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I've been told before that if you have to point it fair, stay with the ball. Overly simplifying it but effective. This was a pregame so we all knew how it would work (that day).
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Grand Prairie?
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 04:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Grand Prairie?
As the Fonz would say, "Correctamundo".