The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 07:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Slow Down, You Move too Fast - Strasburg

Well, I was at the Nats game last night and saw the debut of our young phenom. One of the most exciting sporting events (not just baseball) I've ever been to. Very cool.

Read this online today and thought it was interesting:

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warmups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

Ever made a suggestion to a pitcher or any other player like that or anything else? I thought it to be unusual.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Jun 09, 2010 at 12:12pm. Reason: trying to avoid spelling and grammar police
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

No. All they have to do is give me time to get a drink if necessary and it's time to go.

Of course, I don't have to wait on commercials to continue. But, I wish I did.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

why put people to sleep by taking longer? if he is comfortable going that fast, let him do it

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

The umpire's comment made sense in a TV game. I would never tell a pitcher to slow down unless he was risking a quick pitch.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

The betweeen-inning times in MLB are specified at 2:05 for most games and 2:25 for ESPN, FOX amd TBS games. (2009 MLBUM)

If you watch closely sometimes you can see U2 pull out the stopwatch to time it.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Well, I was at the Nats game last night and saw the debut of our young phenom. One of the most exciting sporting events (not just baseball) I've ever been to. Very cool.

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warmups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

Ever made a suggestion to a pitcher or any other player like that or anything else? I thought it to be unusual.
He's just trying to help the kid out. Better to tell him to slow down than have him warm up in 45 seconds and have to wait another minute and a half before he can throw another pitch.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm at most of the UCLA games, which routinely run over three hours without any help. They have the deepest pitching staff in the country, and they make a lot of pitching changes in every game. One game went into extra innings, but at the end of nine, it was coming up on four hours. It's a celebrated phenomenon among the regular attendees at Jackie Robinson.

Last weekend, during the regionals, there was the ESPN delay routine going on, and some of us looked at each other and quipped that we don't need any outside help playing a four-hour game.

I love watching the umpires try vainly to speed up these Bruin games.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 01:23pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warm ups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

I don't see anything wrong with a little friendly advice. The kid was more than likely jacked with adrenaline, and quite possibly entertained the heads up.