The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Slow Down, You Move to Fast - Strasburg (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58341-slow-down-you-move-fast-strasburg.html)

grunewar Wed Jun 09, 2010 07:10am

Slow Down, You Move too Fast - Strasburg

Well, I was at the Nats game last night and saw the debut of our young phenom. One of the most exciting sporting events (not just baseball) I've ever been to. Very cool.

Read this online today and thought it was interesting:

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warmups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

Ever made a suggestion to a pitcher or any other player like that or anything else? I thought it to be unusual.

GA Umpire Wed Jun 09, 2010 07:57am

No. All they have to do is give me time to get a drink if necessary and it's time to go.

Of course, I don't have to wait on commercials to continue. But, I wish I did. :cool:

jdmara Wed Jun 09, 2010 08:28am

why put people to sleep by taking longer? if he is comfortable going that fast, let him do it

-Josh

mbyron Wed Jun 09, 2010 08:31am

The umpire's comment made sense in a TV game. I would never tell a pitcher to slow down unless he was risking a quick pitch.

Rich Ives Wed Jun 09, 2010 09:26am

The betweeen-inning times in MLB are specified at 2:05 for most games and 2:25 for ESPN, FOX amd TBS games. (2009 MLBUM)

If you watch closely sometimes you can see U2 pull out the stopwatch to time it.

BaBa Booey Wed Jun 09, 2010 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 680908)
Well, I was at the Nats game last night and saw the debut of our young phenom. One of the most exciting sporting events (not just baseball) I've ever been to. Very cool.

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warmups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

Ever made a suggestion to a pitcher or any other player like that or anything else? I thought it to be unusual.

He's just trying to help the kid out. Better to tell him to slow down than have him warm up in 45 seconds and have to wait another minute and a half before he can throw another pitch.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Jun 09, 2010 09:58am

I'm at most of the UCLA games, which routinely run over three hours without any help. They have the deepest pitching staff in the country, and they make a lot of pitching changes in every game. One game went into extra innings, but at the end of nine, it was coming up on four hours. It's a celebrated phenomenon among the regular attendees at Jackie Robinson.

Last weekend, during the regionals, there was the ESPN delay routine going on, and some of us looked at each other and quipped that we don't need any outside help playing a four-hour game.

I love watching the umpires try vainly to speed up these Bruin games.

Steven Tyler Wed Jun 09, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 680908)

"Strasburg always pitches in a hurry - the game took only 2 hours, 19 minutes - and plate umpire Tom Hallion even suggested to him that he slow down his warm ups because the breaks between innings are longer in the majors."

I don't see anything wrong with a little friendly advice. The kid was more than likely jacked with adrenaline, and quite possibly entertained the heads up.