The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

While not mitigating the blown call, Cabrera should be last guy to argue. Looking a replay ball was directly hit at 2B Carlos Guillen and if Cabrera stays put it is a routine 4-3.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Our association meets tonight. I'm guessing this call might become an unofficial topic of discussion.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
Our association meets tonight. I'm guessing this call might become an unofficial topic of discussion.
What's going on the other 55 minutes?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

At the risk of being abused by my fellow officials for supporting instant replay. I am watching the Stanley Cup Finals and there was a replay that awarded a goal correctly. This is an example of how instant replay can work(only at the major league level). I say give the Major league managers one challenge during a game. If they are wrong on the challenge, they go bye-bye.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
While not mitigating the blown call, Cabrera should be last guy to argue. Looking a replay ball was directly hit at 2B Carlos Guillen and if Cabrera stays put it is a routine 4-3.
Say what?
That was pretty stupid.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
Say what?
That was pretty stupid.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Um - watch the replay again. Good call. My son and I both instantly said "out" when seeing the first shot in real time. However, we both just as quickly said "wow - good call" when seeing the other angle slow motion replay. First baseman did not have control.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a baseball umpire. I frequent two other forums on this board.

I would like the opinions of the experts here on these points:

1. The ball was not caught cleanly. It hits the heel of the glove and rolls forward to the fingertips. You can see it at the tip of the glove and then Galarraga flips his wrist to roll it in more securely after the call is made. I wonder if the umpire had him bobbling the ball. Will the pitcher say that he didn't quite have control? (ESPN phone interview with him right now! Galarraga says he does know what the umpire saw. Didn't mention a bobble. He said that he did speak with Joyce after the game.)

2. Due to the manner in which the ball was caught, there probably wasn't a solid pop sound made when the throw reached the glove, plus the crowd would have been fairly loud. I'm told that on close plays at 1st the umpires sometimes watch for the foot hitting the base and listen for the ball hitting the glove. The lack of a pop sound could have tricked Joyce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You have to admire Galarraga's composure after losing a perfect game that way. Showed a lot of class imo.
He turned gave a wry smile and let it go. He was very classy.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 08:52pm.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Joyce went into the Tiger clubhouse immediately after seeing the replay and apologized to Galaragga - I guess he was pretty sure he missed it.

Both guys are class acts for how they handled things.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
We could have had two perfect games in a week and three in a month. Nice job of altering history. Thanks for busting to get a good angle with a guy's once-in-a-lifetime achievement on the line.

Sleep tight.
He had the right angle. With a pitching coming over to cover, you only want to be a step or two off the line, which in this case also happens to be 90 degrees from the origin of the throw.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you defending the call, please stop. There was no "lack of control" evident, anywhere. He blew it, plain and simple, and robbed the kid of a perfecto. I'm even an Indians fan (yes, I admitted it).
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:01pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post
He had the right angle. With a pitching coming over to cover, you only want to be a step or two off the line, which in this case also happens to be 90 degrees from the origin of the throw.
Don't pay any attention to Finnerty. All he does is rip on MLB umpires every time he gets a chance.

Hell, he doesn't even know the proper positioning on a play like the one being discussed.

I suspect he is a rat in sheep's clothing.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 09:07pm.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:09pm
In Time Out

Joyce admitted to missing the call in an interview.

Said he, "I just cost that kid a perfect game".
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Um - watch the replay again. Good call. My son and I both instantly said "out" when seeing the first shot in real time. However, we both just as quickly said "wow - good call" when seeing the other angle slow motion replay. First baseman did not have control.
What does it say about you and your son's judgement who both missed the PITCHER catching the ball?
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
Joyce went into the Tiger clubhouse immediately after seeing the replay and apologized to Galaragga - I guess he was pretty sure he missed it.

Both guys are class acts for how they handled things.
Reminds me of Richie Garcia in the 1996 playoffs. By the way, Am I the only one that thinks Joyce looks like Goose Gossage with the mustache?
Closed Thread