The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

My son's V team played last night. Early in first half AR 2 flags a player offside about ten yards out from the 18. The player was about 3 full strides offside. The R didn't see the flag go up. The player who had been way offside scores. Rather than holding the flag and his position the AR dropped it and walked away from the spot of the infraction when the ball went in the net. I would have held the flag until the R acknowledged it or waved it off. What about you?
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you. It seems obvious that that would be the right thing to do. However, since this is NFHS play, I'll point out that there is very little instruction given to referees from HS organizations. Most refs get the bulk of their instruction from USSF clinics or those who participate in AYSO. At least that is my experience.
So perhaps this AR simply didn't know to keep his flag up.

Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Lucky...

This crew was freaking lucky the coach didn't notice this flagrant mistake. It could have resulted in a nasty mess!
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I'm with you. It seems obvious that that would be the right thing to do. However, since this is NFHS play, I'll point out that there is very little instruction given to referees from HS organizations. Most refs get the bulk of their instruction from USSF clinics or those who participate in AYSO. At least that is my experience.

Of course, the flag should have stayed up in AYSO or anywhere else, as well.
All three HS associations I've belonged to give significant instruction and followup comments and would not tolerate this kind of error.

But then, if that alleged crew all had whistles and didn't have to depend on someone seeing a flag by someone else; the correct call would have been applied.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

OK let me make the story a little more interesting. The AR is a past partner that I have worked with many times. Except for a huge case of rabbit ears towards the fans and being a little too sensitive to dissent, he's a good official. The CR who missed the flag was his son. The coaches did see it --and were screaming asking for an explanation. All three coaches yell, "Your flag was up." AR's response, "And I put it down." Sad thing - it was a very cheap goal that made a huge difference in the game. You draw your own conclusion.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

__________________________________________________ _________Nevada is right. You do get so much more train in USSF clinics. But the NFHS test is much more thorough to me. I did go to an NHFS clinic this year and the clinician was outstanding!
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
OK let me make the story a little more interesting. The AR is a past partner that I have worked with many times. Except for a huge case of rabbit ears towards the fans and being a little too sensitive to dissent, he's a good official. The CR who missed the flag was his son. The coaches did see it --and were screaming asking for an explanation. All three coaches yell, "Your flag was up." AR's response, "And I put it down." Sad thing - it was a very cheap goal that made a huge difference in the game. You draw your own conclusion.
Oh, so I did end up in a nasty mess...
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
This type of thing should be discussed in the pregame. The center official should make it clear to the AR's that if an offside happens to leave the flag up until it is recognized. It is then the discretion of the center to uphold it or wave him down.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

phatneff is bang on. The AR needs to leave the flag up, since the CR might not see it going up immediately.

As a CR, I've been given a "look thrice" adage in a recent clinic. On a play that might be offside, quickly look at the AR (apparently many will signal by their body language that offside is a possibility), then look again a second or two later (in case they are simply slow), and then look a third time once an attacker has received the ball to ensure that you pick up that slow flag you asked for.