9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation Ozzie's at it again.....

Rips Joe West.

Guillen rips ump after White Sox top Indians 5-4 - USATODAY.com

I smell a fine!
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

More like a suspension. Second one definitely looked like a balk to me.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

"But in the meanwhile, those years are on his shoulders and kind of heavy and showing people who he is."

Classic. Oz calls Cowboy Joe fat.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Has Joe called any of KRods games and called a no stop balk? I thought that that lefties can get away with murder so I watch them close but I can't see the balk in the first one but maybe in the second one in the video I pull up. What did Joe see? The 2B ump echoed it quicker than I would expect so what did he see? The only thing I can think of that would get Joe and the 2B ump to be right behind him is a hanging leg. Anybody seen better videos? Why don't they call the nostop and twitching feet while coming set and yet call this. I think it's because at that level the stop and twitches are meaningless to a runner but whatever Buehrle did can fool an MLB runner. The first runner was certainley fooled and you woudn't expect that at this level.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Has Joe called any of KRods games and called a no stop balk? I thought that that lefties can get away with murder so I watch them close but I can't see the balk in the first one but maybe in the second one in the video I pull up. What did Joe see? The 2B ump echoed it quicker than I would expect so what did he see? The only thing I can think of that would get Joe and the 2B ump to be right behind him is a hanging leg. Anybody seen better videos? Why don't they call the nostop and twitching feet while coming set and yet call this. I think it's because at that level the stop and twitches are meaningless to a runner but whatever Buehrle did can fool an MLB runner. The first runner was certainley fooled and you woudn't expect that at this level.
Buehrle has picked quite a few guys off over the years. The first one I thought was much less egrigious (sp?) than the second. I'm not a baseball umpire, but I'm a lefty and I've pitched before. I know of the "45 degree angle" rule (if that even is one), but to me it looked like Buehrle started leaning towards home like he was going to pitch, then threw to first.

Can someone post the relevant rules?
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:34am
M.A.S.H.

I would say both Ozzie and Buehrle will be hearing from MLB regarding their comments.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Ozzie, Buehrle ejected for arguing balks | MLB.com: News

I had trouble seeing the reason for the balks. This video focuses more on the ejections than the balks themselves. He looked as to me he was pushing the 45 degree line, but can't tell if he crossed it.

The announcers were entertaining though!
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Buehrle has picked quite a few guys off over the years. The first one I thought was much less egrigious (sp?) than the second. I'm not a baseball umpire, but I'm a lefty and I've pitched before. I know of the "45 degree angle" rule (if that even is one), but to me it looked like Buehrle started leaning towards home like he was going to pitch, then threw to first.

Can someone post the relevant rules?
There is no "45 degree" rule. 8.05 requires the pitcher to step and throw to a base, and that's interpreted as stepping more toward the base than the plate. In practice, that amounts to about 45°.

You can find rule 8 (and the other 9 as well) on the mlb site:
Official Rules | MLB.com: Official info
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Ozzie, Buehrle ejected for arguing balks | MLB.com: News

I had trouble seeing the reason for the balks. This video focuses more on the ejections than the balks themselves. He looked as to me he was pushing the 45 degree line, but can't tell if he crossed it.

The announcers were entertaining though!
The second one was clearer than the first. It's not about the step: F1 clearly moves to home as he steps and throws to 1B. His whole upper body is moving toward the plate.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The second one was clearer than the first. It's not about the step: F1 clearly moves to home as he steps and throws to 1B. His whole upper body is moving toward the plate.
Exactly

-Josh
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no "45 degree" rule. 8.05 requires the pitcher to step and throw to a base, and that's interpreted as stepping more toward the base than the plate. In practice, that amounts to about 45°.
Well... it amounts to EXACTLY 45 degrees... which is why some (many) call it the 45 degree rule. So ... there kind of is.

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Thu May 27, 2010 at 10:32am.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's what I saw on the second one, too.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Well... it amounts to EXACTLY 45 degrees... which is why some (many) call it the 45 degree rule. So ... there kind of is.
My point: it's not a rule. It's an interp. That matters when somebody asks where it is in the rules.

The idea of exactly 45° is ridiculous, since nobody uses a protractor to measure.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

But the line from home to the pitcher's plate and the line from the pitcher's plate to 1B are at an angle of greater than 90 degrees.

For the angle to be 90 degrees, the pitcher's plate would have to be halfway between home and 2B, directly on the 1B-3B line. But the "rubber" is a yard in front of that line.

Trig, anyone?
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 11:57am
Administrator

Quote:
My point: it's not a rule. It's an interp. That matters when somebody asks where it is in the rules.

The idea of exactly 45° is ridiculous, since nobody uses a protractor to measure.

mbyron:

I know how to use a protractor and have used one countless times.

MTD, Sr.
Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering, William Rayen School of Engineering, Youngstown (Ohio) State University,
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio