The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If it were easy, we'd see it all the time. TWP.
I agree that is probably a TWP. But if it did happen early in a game and you allowed this cheap DP/TP. Then every pop-up with runners on would be turned into cheap DP attempt. What a mess that would be.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. No rule specifically allows any action to take place. The rules prohibit certain defined actions (OBS, INT, illegal bats, etc.), and allow everything else.
Interpretations, however, can allow for specific and prohibit specific actions.

If you think just because it's not specifically listed in the rule book, then an action is legal, you are wrong.

Last edited by asdf; Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 08:25am.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
If you think just because it's not specifically listed in the rule book, then an action is legal, you are wrong.
I think that the rules prohibit all illegal baseball actions. They fail to prohibit things like poisoning an opponent or digging a trench around 2B, but that is irrelevant to the case in point.

You still have no rules basis for your position.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They fail to prohibit things like poisoning an opponent...
I've always let that one go anyway.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that the rules prohibit all illegal baseball actions. They fail to prohibit things like poisoning an opponent or digging a trench around 2B, but that is irrelevant to the case in point.

You still have no rules basis for your position.
You won't find anything in the rules about a runner advancing from 1st to second on a delayed double steal (runner on 3rd) by performing backward hand springs, yet I think you are savvy enough to see that this is an illegal act.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You won't find anything in the rules about a runner advancing from 1st to second on a delayed double steal (runner on 3rd) by performing backward hand springs, yet I think you are savvy enough to see that this is an illegal act.
Uh... what?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why is it illegal? And, don't use "unsporting act" because that's in the rules.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why is it illegal? And, don't use "unsporting act" because that's in the rules.
C'mon Bob...

You know that the definition of interference in all of the rule codes (OBR, NCAA, NFHS) includes the word "confuse(s)".

You also know that there is an acceptable way to "confuse" an opponent. (fake cut-off, fake catch of a throw to a base, third-to-first step and throwback, runner stops between 1st and 2nd in an attempt to get in a run-down so he can score the runner from third....etc)

All of these are a part of the game.

The intentional juggle and my example of backward handsprings are not (yes, they are unsporting) and should be dealt with immediately.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I see you make up all kinds of rules for yourself. Go for it. I'm done with you.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see you make up all kinds of rules for yourself. Go for it. I'm done with you.
Great, while you are done with me, I will keep looking for that rule prohibiting digging a trench around 2nd base. You cannot have it both ways.

You know, a few years ago, the handspring situation cropped up in high school football. There was much discussion, similar to this. Those saying it was legal cited "nothing in the rule book", those saying it was illegal backed it up with the "not part of the game" angle.

The Asst. Commissioner, who happens to be in charge of the officials in Ohio, stated, that if someone let this action go unpenalized and he got wind of it, he was pulling their permit.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 10:54am
In Time Out

Quote:
Great, while you are done with me, I will keep looking for that rule prohibiting digging a trench around 2nd base. You cannot have it both ways.

You know, a few years ago, the handspring situation cropped up in high school football. There was much discussion, similar to this. Those saying it was legal cited "nothing in the rule book", those saying it was illegal backed it up with the "not part of the game" angle.

The Asst. Commissioner, who happens to be in charge of the officials in Ohio, stated, that if someone let this action go unpenalized and he got wind of it, he was pulling their permit.
Wouldn't doing hand springs in a high school game be considered taunting?

OTOH, consider yourself lucky the mbyron is done with you. However the downside of that, you will now have to be responsible for your grammatical and spelling errors. You're on your own now, buddy.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C'mon Bob...

You know that the definition of interference in all of the rule codes (OBR, NCAA, NFHS) includes the word "confuse(s)".

You also know that there is an acceptable way to "confuse" an opponent. (fake cut-off, fake catch of a throw to a base, third-to-first step and throwback, runner stops between 1st and 2nd in an attempt to get in a run-down so he can score the runner from third....etc)

All of these are a part of the game.

The intentional juggle and my example of backward handsprings are not (yes, they are unsporting) and should be dealt with immediately.
Holy cow, are you kidding? You would stop someone from the handspring thing? Really? Which rule - unsporting or confusing - you seem to want both. Don't invent rules - we have enough as it is.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, you're mistaken there. Football specifically includes antics used to show up an opponent inside it's USC rules. I would definitely penalize this in football. I'd have no backing to do that in baseball.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Holy cow, are you kidding? You would stop someone from the handspring thing? Really? Which rule - unsporting or confusing - you seem to want both. Don't invent rules - we have enough as it is.
1) Combine both... interference and then eject......

2) Not inventing anything here.... for FED see 3-3-1 (g)(4)

A coach, player, substitute, attendant, or other bench personell shall not....

....commit any unsportsmanlike act to include, but not limited to;

....behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play

It all boils down to what the spirit of fair play is in our eyes.

If I am working the game, this activity stops here and now. I have folks unhappy with me for a while, but we get back to baseball.

If you are working said game, the activity turns into the "one-up 'em" mode and we have some sort of retaliation because of the chickenbleep activity by a team.

If called on the carpet, my defense of "this isn't what baseball is all about" carries a whole bunch more credibility than your "the rules don't prohibit this action" excuse.

Last edited by asdf; Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 01:47pm.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Actually, you're mistaken there. Football specifically includes antics used to show up an opponent inside it's USC rules. I would definitely penalize this in football. I'd have no backing to do that in baseball.
Football didn't address this until after it happened. The handsprings ocurred not after a score, but as a player was going in motion, "legally" parallel to the line of scrimmage.

No different than "legally" doing handsprings in the baseline.