The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

MS North Half Playoffs

Best of 3 goes to State. Team A has been in this sitch many times. Team B has never won the North Half or been to the State finals. Team A is the only team to beat Team B in the division during the year, beat them twice. Team A, home game for game 1, wins 6-2. Team B pulls things together and wins 10-0 at home the next night. The following afternoon, back a home for Team A, Team B pulls out an awesome game and wins 6-5 - STATE BOUND!!!!

But wait...someone (media) has alerted the MHSAA that Team B used a pitcher more than the allotted # of innings. MHSAA allows 17 innings/week. This pitcher threw 6 on Monday to clinch the quarter finals, 7 on Thursday in the loss, and 4 2/3 on Saturday...That's 17 2/3 innings. MHSAA upholds the "protest" - Team B forfeits and Team A is off to State. Team B appeals siting "unsure of what defines a week." It's not upheld. Team A plays next week for the State Championship.

I hate it for these kids. They faught and won. The KIDS earned a shot at the title. IMO, the coach screwed them out of a chance for a State Title.

Why would a Head coach not know the limitations? Why would you not call the state to find out if you were unsure?
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Simple answer - Stupid Coach.
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Yawn!
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump29 View Post
Simple answer - Stupid Coach.
Amen. We need not assume coaches are smart.

Watched a HS game tonight, first time I have had that chance this year. Team scores and then defense changes pitchers. After warmups and ball made live they make a proper live ball appeal that runner who scored did not touch plate (he did). You have to know you can make a dead ball appeal in FED, not?

Last edited by DG; Thu May 20, 2010 at 12:06am.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Amen. We need not assume coaches are smart.

Watched a HS game tonight, first time I have had that chance this year. Team scores and then defense changes pitchers. After warmups and ball made live they make a proper live ball appeal that runner who scored did not touch plate (he did). You have to know you can make a dead ball appeal in FED, not?
I have yet to see a dead ball appeal in a FED game since that rule was instituted, but I've seen many live ball appeals in that same time frame. Coaches don't read rule books.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Wink Dead-Ball Appeal

Since the rule was put in place, I have had ONE appeal made by a Visiting coach on a runner missing third base.

I upheld the appeal. The HC and I had a discussion about who is allowed to appeal, what and when.

The HC wanted to protest and I informed the HC that in the state of Ohio protests were not allowed. After a few more words the HC went to his dugout.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Yawn!
I'd appreciate some respect for the boys. You may not give a damn because it didn't happen in New England. If one team was in your back yard and the other wasn't far down the road, you might change your tune.

I was posting a contraversy that happened this week in HS baseball - if you don't care - don't reply. It's a rather big deal here. I left out names so as not to make it personally about {insert coach's name} (anyone in MS can figure it out) and call him an idiot world wide (even if it's true).
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
I'd appreciate some respect for the boys. You may not give a damn because it didn't happen in New England. If one team was in your back yard and the other wasn't far down the road, you might change your tune.

I was posting a contraversy[sic] that happened this week in HS baseball - if you don't care - don't reply. It's a rather big deal here. I left out names so as not to make it personally about {insert coach's name} (anyone in MS can figure it out) and call him an idiot world wide (even if it's true).
I am guessing he is yawning in response to the fact that this has NOTHING to do with officiating/umpiring the game. This is not a high school sports site, we discuss high school sports mostly because that is what a majority of us officiate. If you want to discuss a topic like this go to rivals.com or some other similar site.

This site is about officiating.

What respect for the boys are you talking about, I have heard of administrative forfeits in my local area but they don't belong here. If I wanted to talk about them I would go to a newspaper message board or a rivals.com message board. If the forfeit had something to do with too many players getting tossed or having the UIC forfeit the game (correctly or incorrectly) we would have something to discuss, but beyond that you sound like the fanboys we make fun of and have removed, just with no team (mentioned) to be a fan of.

Jasper
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
I am guessing he is yawning in response to the fact that this has NOTHING to do with officiating/umpiring the game.
If that's the case then I apologize for mis-interpretting it.

Quote:
This is not a high school sports site, we discuss high school sports mostly because that is what a majority of us officiate. If you want to discuss a topic like this go to rivals.com or some other similar site.

This site is about officiating.

What respect for the boys are you talking about, I have heard of administrative forfeits in my local area but they don't belong here. If I wanted to talk about them I would go to a newspaper message board or a rivals.com message board. If the forfeit had something to do with too many players getting tossed or having the UIC forfeit the game (correctly or incorrectly) we would have something to discuss, but beyond that you sound like the fanboys we make fun of and have removed, just with no team (mentioned) to be a fan of.

Jasper
The respect I asked for came from my interpretation of "yawn." The way I read it showed no respect for them. It was "I don't care." (see above comment if I mis-interpretted ozzy's reply).

I posted this here "to discuss" because I AM an official. If I wanted to discuss fan-boy biased opinions, I would post on a newspaper site or rivals or some other site. I wanted to share a HS baseball situation that is close to home, with those I respect (most of the people here qualify).

Not the place? Delete it. Run me? For what - posting something about HS baseball? For the record, I'm a fan of BOTH teams in the situation. I've been around here too long to be lumped in with the Johnny-come lately "fans" that show up. Everyone here knows that.

I'm done defending it. Ozzy, if I misunderstood your post, I apologize sincerely.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Fair enough, I do enjoy reading most of the posts that come to this board, even when off topic. I just didn't see the reason to jump on someone for, rightfully, calling it off topic.

As for your situation, that sounds like a friable offense for a coach, and not one to be defended in any way. I know one of those teams had to loose the series but to loose that way the level of frustration sounds high. Good luck to those players in life and I hope they get a break somewhere in the future.

Jasper
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Best of 3 goes to State. Team A has been in this sitch many times. Team B has never won the North Half or been to the State finals. Team A is the only team to beat Team B in the division during the year, beat them twice. Team A, home game for game 1, wins 6-2. Team B pulls things together and wins 10-0 at home the next night. The following afternoon, back a home for Team A, Team B pulls out an awesome game and wins 6-5 - STATE BOUND!!!!

But wait...someone (media) has alerted the MHSAA that Team B used a pitcher more than the allotted # of innings. MHSAA allows 17 innings/week. This pitcher threw 6 on Monday to clinch the quarter finals, 7 on Thursday in the loss, and 4 2/3 on Saturday...That's 17 2/3 innings. MHSAA upholds the "protest" - Team B forfeits and Team A is off to State. Team B appeals siting "unsure of what defines a week." It's not upheld. Team A plays next week for the State Championship.

I hate it for these kids. They faught and won. The KIDS earned a shot at the title. IMO, the coach screwed them out of a chance for a State Title.

Why would a Head coach not know the limitations? Why would you not call the state to find out if you were unsure?
I read that in paper the other day and could not believe it. Of course, the rule is there to enforce, but i can't figure out how its supposed to protect arms?

Couple years ago in south state I had game two and home team tells me the guy pitching had pitched 7 and thrown 146 pitches two days earlier.

But there have also been teams win state with one pitcher winning two games in a three game series.

Since this is MS thread, congrats to my old area in south MS, three teams from our area in State Finals. Seeing that makes me miss calling there and all the big games we had.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I was posting a contraversy that happened this week in HS baseball - if you don't care - don't reply. It's a rather big deal here. I left out names so as not to make it personally about {insert coach's name} (anyone in MS can figure it out) and call him an idiot world wide (even if it's true).
What does that reaction have to do with respect of the boys involved? For one the issue you posted happens a lot. This is an officiating/umpire board and we do not deal with administrative issues. This really an administrative issue. Probably why you got that reaction and it does sound a little "fan-boyish" as this topic would be more likely to be discussed on a fan site. Stop being so sensitive and just take the comment for what it was. When you post on these issues on the internet, then do not get mad when the response is not to your liking. He did not have to keep his comments to himself no more than you should not have posted this story.

Peace
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 11:30pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
Fair enough, I do enjoy reading most of the posts that come to this board, even when off topic. I just didn't see the reason to jump on someone for, rightfully, calling it off topic.

As for your situation, that sounds like a friable offense for a coach, and not one to be defended in any way. I know one of those teams had to loose the series but to loose that way the level of frustration sounds high. Good luck to those players in life and I hope they get a break somewhere in the future.

Jasper
Cut the guy some slack. You know how illiterate they are down there. He's already made many typing mistakes.

siting. citing?
faught. fought?
contraversy. controversy?

OTH, what's a friable offense? Loose the series?

Maybe the coach isn't so dumb after all.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

With respect, IMO your post is a little OOB there Steven.

Give him some grace about this, I feel badly for the kids in this situation too. In Ohio a couple of years ago, as I remember it, for a trip to the state tournament a team blew out another team. The team that won the game played everyone they could, and hs had 26 guys on his roster. Well, before the the Regional tournament he had a 25 man roster he had to fill out to tournament director, and the 26th player on the bench played but was not on the roster he filled out.

So the team that won the game forefited the game. How can you not feel awful for kids who lose becasue an adult administrator or coach made in essence, a harmless error, or a mistake he should have known better about?
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
With respect, IMO your post is a little OOB there Steven.

Give him some grace about this, I feel badly for the kids in this situation too. In Ohio a couple of years ago, as I remember it, for a trip to the state tournament a team blew out another team. The team that won the game played everyone they could, and hs had 26 guys on his roster. Well, before the the Regional tournament he had a 25 man roster he had to fill out to tournament director, and the 26th player on the bench played but was not on the roster he filled out.

So the team that won the game forefited the game. How can you not feel awful for kids who lose becasue an adult administrator or coach made in essence, a harmless error, or a mistake he should have known better about?
Sure this is an umpiring board, but I know when it gets playoff time I know most of these players and coaches from my years of calling. I've had them in summer ball, back when they played Jr. High and JV, and most of the coaches remain the same, maybe changing schools but still in the area.

So when something like this happens, I feel for the players, my son is playing Jr. high ball now and i think of that happening to him.

And now that he is playing "school ball" i also am more inclined to understand that "coaches are idiots".

They don't know the rules, they don't care about the rules, they just want to complain about the rules when they don't fit their situation.

Someone actually paid this guy to coach these boys - maybe they will learn from the adversity.

Thanks
David