View Single Post
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Best of 3 goes to State. Team A has been in this sitch many times. Team B has never won the North Half or been to the State finals. Team A is the only team to beat Team B in the division during the year, beat them twice. Team A, home game for game 1, wins 6-2. Team B pulls things together and wins 10-0 at home the next night. The following afternoon, back a home for Team A, Team B pulls out an awesome game and wins 6-5 - STATE BOUND!!!!

But wait...someone (media) has alerted the MHSAA that Team B used a pitcher more than the allotted # of innings. MHSAA allows 17 innings/week. This pitcher threw 6 on Monday to clinch the quarter finals, 7 on Thursday in the loss, and 4 2/3 on Saturday...That's 17 2/3 innings. MHSAA upholds the "protest" - Team B forfeits and Team A is off to State. Team B appeals siting "unsure of what defines a week." It's not upheld. Team A plays next week for the State Championship.

I hate it for these kids. They faught and won. The KIDS earned a shot at the title. IMO, the coach screwed them out of a chance for a State Title.

Why would a Head coach not know the limitations? Why would you not call the state to find out if you were unsure?
I read that in paper the other day and could not believe it. Of course, the rule is there to enforce, but i can't figure out how its supposed to protect arms?

Couple years ago in south state I had game two and home team tells me the guy pitching had pitched 7 and thrown 146 pitches two days earlier.

But there have also been teams win state with one pitcher winning two games in a three game series.

Since this is MS thread, congrats to my old area in south MS, three teams from our area in State Finals. Seeing that makes me miss calling there and all the big games we had.

Thanks
David