The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly?

Bases loaded and BR hits a pop fly behind the mound. Umpires did not call anything and let play continue. The ball dropped and when questioned the umpire said the ball wasn't "high enough" for IFR. I could understand "ordinary effort" not applying (the ball dropped after all) but had not heard of a height requirement before.

I've reviewed OBR and NFHS and could not find anything about height of the pop. Do you all typically look at height of the ball on pop flies when determining whether or not to call IFR?
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Bases loaded and BR hits a pop fly behind the mound. Umpires did not call anything and let play continue. The ball dropped and when questioned the umpire said the ball wasn't "high enough" for IFR. I could understand "ordinary effort" not applying (the ball dropped after all) but had not heard of a height requirement before.

I've reviewed OBR and NFHS and could not find anything about height of the pop. Do you all typically look at height of the ball on pop flies when determining whether or not to call IFR?
Height does help determine whether it can be played with ordinary effort but a fly ball is a fly ball....I have heard that reasoning before and it drives me crazy.

-Josh
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

The book definition of a fly ball is one that's hit high in the air. How "high" is "high"? Judgment call. And that's what the umpire should have said.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

The right call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

It appears nobody was in position to make a play on a pop fly ball behind the mound. Perhaps it was just a well placed infield hit and the umpires did not call anything, and correctly let the play continue, and one should be asking why it wasn't caught. That would help answer part of the question.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 08:22pm.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

If it's high enough for me to think about calling it an infield fly, it's high enough to be an infield fly, I think.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
If it's high enough for me to think about calling it an infield fly, it's high enough to be an infield fly, I think.
dash, are you stating this in general, or in response to the OP situation?
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
dash, are you stating this in general, or in response to the OP situation?
Both.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK. Infield's playing for the bunt. F5 is very shallow, and pop fly is hit just inside the line, about 5' behind 3B. There was no way for F6 or F5 to get there. Do you call it?
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK. Infield's playing for the bunt. F5 is very shallow, and pop fly is hit just inside the line, about 5' behind 3B. There was no way for F6 or F5 to get there. Do you call it?
Of course not. Do you?
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course not. Do you?
Of course not.

Quote:
I probably read this as your general rule.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course not.

I probably read this as your general rule.
It is my general rule to determine whether the first condition of an infield fly has been met - is it a fly ball? You're reading it as the only condition.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is my general rule to determine whether the first condition of an infield fly has been met - is it a fly ball? You're reading it as the only condition.
Actually, the first condition is placement of runners. Second is number of outs. Third is fly ball or not. Fourth is "ordinary effort."

I misunderstood your original post as being your only condition. I regarded you a bit more than that. I apologize. :P
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, the first condition is placement of runners. Second is number of outs. Third is fly ball or not. Fourth is "ordinary effort."
The order is irrelevant. They are individually necessary and jointly sufficient for IFF.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 10:46am

Quote:
Actually, the placement of the runners, as well as the number of outs, are stipulated, as the Infield Fly situation already exists. There is no need to think about these conditions during a play. The only real considerations are (a) sufficient arc to distinguish it from a line drive and (b) can it be caught with ordinary effort by an infielder.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 12:44pm. Reason: spelling error corrected
Old Fri Apr 30, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
It appears nobody was in position to make a play on a pop fly ball behind the mound. Perhaps it was just a well placed infield hit and the umpires did not call anything, and correctly let the play continue, and one should be asking why it wasn't caught. That would help answer part of the question.
SA - I agree with you and would have had no problem with a call/explanation that it couldn't have been called with ordinary effort because it did, in fact, drop (where our middle infielders were is a question for another day and many, many laps).

My main reason for asking the question was I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some aspect of the rule that had a height requirement for the fly ball. It would seem there isn't, but that it factors into whether or not the ball can be caught with ordinary effort.