The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Infield Fly? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57994-infield-fly.html)

Rufus Thu Apr 29, 2010 02:31pm

Infield Fly?

Bases loaded and BR hits a pop fly behind the mound. Umpires did not call anything and let play continue. The ball dropped and when questioned the umpire said the ball wasn't "high enough" for IFR. I could understand "ordinary effort" not applying (the ball dropped after all) but had not heard of a height requirement before.

I've reviewed OBR and NFHS and could not find anything about height of the pop. Do you all typically look at height of the ball on pop flies when determining whether or not to call IFR?

jdmara Thu Apr 29, 2010 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 675248)
Bases loaded and BR hits a pop fly behind the mound. Umpires did not call anything and let play continue. The ball dropped and when questioned the umpire said the ball wasn't "high enough" for IFR. I could understand "ordinary effort" not applying (the ball dropped after all) but had not heard of a height requirement before.

I've reviewed OBR and NFHS and could not find anything about height of the pop. Do you all typically look at height of the ball on pop flies when determining whether or not to call IFR?

Height does help determine whether it can be played with ordinary effort but a fly ball is a fly ball....I have heard that reasoning before and it drives me crazy.

-Josh

kylejt Thu Apr 29, 2010 03:47pm

The book definition of a fly ball is one that's hit high in the air. How "high" is "high"? Judgment call. And that's what the umpire should have said.

SAump Thu Apr 29, 2010 08:17pm

The right call

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 675248)

It appears nobody was in position to make a play on a pop fly ball behind the mound. Perhaps it was just a well placed infield hit and the umpires did not call anything, and correctly let the play continue, and one should be asking why it wasn't caught. That would help answer part of the question.

dash_riprock Thu Apr 29, 2010 08:50pm

If it's high enough for me to think about calling it an infield fly, it's high enough to be an infield fly, I think.

yawetag Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 675261)
If it's high enough for me to think about calling it an infield fly, it's high enough to be an infield fly, I think.

dash, are you stating this in general, or in response to the OP situation?

dash_riprock Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 675267)
dash, are you stating this in general, or in response to the OP situation?

Both.

yawetag Fri Apr 30, 2010 01:08am

Quote:

OK. Infield's playing for the bunt. F5 is very shallow, and pop fly is hit just inside the line, about 5' behind 3B. There was no way for F6 or F5 to get there. Do you call it?

dash_riprock Fri Apr 30, 2010 06:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 675273)
OK. Infield's playing for the bunt. F5 is very shallow, and pop fly is hit just inside the line, about 5' behind 3B. There was no way for F6 or F5 to get there. Do you call it?

Of course not. Do you?

yawetag Fri Apr 30, 2010 06:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 675280)
Of course not. Do you?

Of course not.

Quote:

I probably read this as your general rule.

dash_riprock Fri Apr 30, 2010 07:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 675283)
Of course not.

I probably read this as your general rule.

It is my general rule to determine whether the first condition of an infield fly has been met - is it a fly ball? You're reading it as the only condition.

yawetag Fri Apr 30, 2010 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 675286)
It is my general rule to determine whether the first condition of an infield fly has been met - is it a fly ball? You're reading it as the only condition.

Actually, the first condition is placement of runners. Second is number of outs. Third is fly ball or not. Fourth is "ordinary effort."

I misunderstood your original post as being your only condition. I regarded you a bit more than that. I apologize. :P

mbyron Fri Apr 30, 2010 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 675295)
Actually, the first condition is placement of runners. Second is number of outs. Third is fly ball or not. Fourth is "ordinary effort."

The order is irrelevant. They are individually necessary and jointly sufficient for IFF.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 675295)

Actually, the placement of the runners, as well as the number of outs, are stipulated, as the Infield Fly situation already exists. There is no need to think about these conditions during a play. The only real considerations are (a) sufficient arc to distinguish it from a line drive and (b) can it be caught with ordinary effort by an infielder.

Rufus Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 675259)
It appears nobody was in position to make a play on a pop fly ball behind the mound. Perhaps it was just a well placed infield hit and the umpires did not call anything, and correctly let the play continue, and one should be asking why it wasn't caught. That would help answer part of the question.

SA - I agree with you and would have had no problem with a call/explanation that it couldn't have been called with ordinary effort because it did, in fact, drop (where our middle infielders were is a question for another day and many, many laps).

My main reason for asking the question was I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some aspect of the rule that had a height requirement for the fly ball. It would seem there isn't, but that it factors into whether or not the ball can be caught with ordinary effort.