The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Team A is in control and head coach A asks for and is granted a time-out by trail official. Official asks coach whether he wants a full or 30, and the coach points to a player on the ground cramping up that neither official saw, and says, "We have an injury here."

Would you rescind the time out and have an official time out for the injury, or would you tell the coach that the time out has already been granted, so he's stuck with taking it?
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Coach asked for a TO, so you give him a TO.

If he wanted a stoppage for the injury, all he had to do was point at the player and let you know he was injured.

The only reason I can think of for the coach wanting a TO when he saw the injury is so he doesn't have to sub the kid out - hoping he'll be o.k. at the end of the TO.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 06:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Team A is in control and head coach A asks for and is granted a time-out by trail official. Official asks coach whether he wants a full or 30, and the coach points to a player on the ground cramping up that neither official saw, and says, "We have an injury here."

Would you rescind the time out and have an official time out for the injury, or would you tell the coach that the time out has already been granted, so he's stuck with taking it?
Ask the coach if he wants a replacement for that player or if he want to keep his player in the game. If he's gonna replace the player, don't charge the TO. If he wants to try and keep him in the game, then he's gotta tell you whether he wants a 60 or a 30. If the coach does choose the TO and his player isn't ready to go at the end of it, the coach then has the same decision to make again- replace the player or take another 30 or 60.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Ask the coach if he wants a replacement for that player or if he want to keep his player in the game. If he's gonna replace the player, don't charge the TO. If he wants to try and keep him in the game, then he's gotta tell you whether he wants a 60 or a 30. If the coach does choose the TO and his player isn't ready to go at the end of it, the coach then has the same decision to make again- replace the player or take another 30 or 60.

Why don't you follow the rules as written?

I like tarheelcoach's answer better.

Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As written, I *think* I'd grant the TO. In practice, though, the coach is going to point out the injury before I can ask what kind of TO he wants. In that instance, I wouldn't require the TO. And, no, I don't know exactly where this line is.