The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Balk Called by Coach....

Would like to see how others would respond to the following situation:

3rd base coach yells out "He balked" believing that F1 balked which in turn caused F1 to balk....

3-3-1o states penalty for "use of any command or commit any act for the purpose of causing a balk" EJECTION.

My question is the phrase "purpose of causing balk" and wold be interested in others action to the above situation.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
Would like to see how others would respond to the following situation:

3rd base coach yells out "He balked" believing that F1 balked which in turn caused F1 to balk....

3-3-1o states penalty for "use of any command or commit any act for the purpose of causing a balk" EJECTION.

My question is the phrase "purpose of causing balk" and wold be interested in others action to the above situation.
Time, no balk, warn the coach, dump if repeated.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 02:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

agree with dash. Basically the offense can't make the pitcher balk.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had a disagreement with one of my partners last year, he was at 3B, I at 1B in 4 umpire game. R3 fakes toward home as 3B coach is hollering GOGOGO. Pitcher stopped his motion after TOP. My partner said no balk, and warned the coach.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 05:48pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I had one last season where the batter verbally asked for time as the pitcher was starting his delivery. The pitcher stopped his delivery. I did call the balk in that situation and I feel that I made the right call under the circumstances. There is an element of judgement in these cases right? Other than the super-obvious ones I suppose.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Old school thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I had one last season where the batter verbally asked for time as the pitcher was starting his delivery. The pitcher stopped his delivery. I did call the balk in that situation and I feel that I made the right call under the circumstances. There is an element of judgement in these cases right? Other than the super-obvious ones I suppose.
Doesn't 3-3 apply to batter, as well as base coach.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

DG: I think I'd call the balk in your situation. Saying, "Go, go, go!" is different from calling, "Time!"

johnnyg08: If the pitcher reflexively reacted to something the batter did, like hold up his hand or turn his head toward you, I'd give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt and not call the balk.

I remember an incident in a game I was listening to on the radio in the early 1960s. Hal Woodeshick relieved for Houston against Pittsburgh in the bottom of the ninth inning of a tie game with the bases loaded and none out. Woodeshick struck out the first two batters, got 2 quick strikes on Roberto Clemente, and was about to deliver his next pitch when Clemente held up his hand and asked for time. The ump didn't grant time, but Woodeshick stopped in his motion. He was called for a balk, and the winning run scored. Needless to say, a "discussion" ensued. I think that this play resulted in MLB's "enticed balk" policy.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=greymule;659130]DG: I think I'd call the balk in your situation. Saying, "Go, go, go!" is different from calling, "Time!" [QUOTE]Thus the disagreement. If we give all benefit of doubt to the pitcher, then coach can't say anything. I would have called balk also.

When play happened PU and U3 had conversation and warned 3b coach. After the game we had post game and he was adamant that he learned this at pro school. I told him that I'm sure pro school also told him that penalty for this offense is ejection.

Last edited by DG; Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 07:49pm.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 08:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
johnnyg08: If the pitcher reflexively reacted to something the batter did, like hold up his hand or turn his head toward you, I'd give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt and not call the balk.
You make a good point and I can appreciate that comment especially without having seen the play. The batter was still in his regular hitting stance and simply said the word time in a normal speaking voice that really only the catcher and I could hear. After watching the video of that game, I also noticed that the catcher seemed to assume that I'd give the batter time and he relaxed his action. After watching the play on video it appeared that the pitcher balked more because of the fact that his catcher relaxed as he was starting his motion. While I often give the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher in these instances, this was one that I feel I got right based on all of the circumstances around how the play developed. Nobody came out to talk to me about the play...and honestly, I think the call could've gone either way and nobody would've argued either way. I guess that's the judgement piece of umpiring.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I didn't clarify this is FED rules.... And the rule is clear that calling "time" or "using any command or commit any act for the purpose of causing a balk" means EJECTION... I understand it is one thing to know the rules and another thing to apply them so....

Let's add this situation:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, coach and R3 yell "thats a balk" pither stops or makes some movement which is a balk..... What are you calling now?
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 08:43pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Correct...but "for the purposes of causing the pitcher to balk" and the pitcher balking are two different things aren't they?

To your post. "Time." "That's nothing." Will have a conversation with the coach about inciting a balk. On the other hand, maybe the coach was right...so maybe we have a balk...at that point, I'd probably be in the process of calling the balk an in FED, nothing can occur after a balk so we'd enforce the balk.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that causing a pitcher to balk and the pitcher balking could be tow different situations.... Thats why I suggested knowing the rules and how to enforce them comes with experiance, IMO..

However, if that "balk" was the winning run in bottom of 7th you might have some visitors with a possible "good" rule discusion....
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 09:17pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Indeed. I would agree.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
There's a specific rule in OBR (and, I think FED) where this is a "restart from scratch."
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

A similar discussion just took place on the NFHS forum. You can check it out for a few different viewpoints:

NFHS Forum: coach's conduct