The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Balk called on catcher being out of box

A friend of mine who is a volunteer umpire in a local rec league was working base in a tournament U12 game this weekend. He told me that the UIC called a balk because the catcher set up off of the plate to receive a pitch. Apparently quite a ways off and he thought it was outside of the catcher’s box. I have seen the ankle biters do this. I don't know why they do it, poor coaching I suppose. He apparently warned the catcher first and then called it. I told my friend that this is really reaching for the dirty end of the stick.

I looked up the rule 8.05 (l), and it says that this is only a balk when giving an intentional base on balls. So in actuality this could never be a balk because this was not an IBOB.

It did get me to thinking more about this. If a catcher was receiving a pitch on a IBOB, would he have to be completely out of the catcher’s box, or just have one foot out to balk. It's most likely in my J/R but I don't have it right now. BTW, I catagorize this as one of those balks that you shouldn't call. I warn the catcher to not step out too quickly. Why grab the dirty end of the stick.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 08:31pm.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when....

(l) The pitcher, while giving an intentional base on balls, pitches while the catcher is not in the catcher's box.

The rule only pertains to intentional walks, so you are correct.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In reading the BRD, the IBOB restriction only applies to OBR. In FED and NCAA. FED says, " At the TOP, the catcher must have both feet in the catcher's box" and NCAA says, " The catcher must remain in the box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand". No mention is made of IBOB in either FED or NCAA. Am I reading this wrong?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
In reading the BRD, the IBOB restriction only applies to OBR. In FED and NCAA. FED says, " At the TOP, the catcher must have both feet in the catcher's box" and NCAA says, " The catcher must remain in the box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand". No mention is made of IBOB in either FED or NCAA. Am I reading this wrong?
No.

But, it's loosely enforced