The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that? I can't even "copy and paste" an excerpt from either the rule book or the case book! Instead, I have to write it out by hand. Let me know the trick...
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.
Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Stupid, and it's not even correct. B (the arm rocking slightly from side to side) doesn't commit him to pitch, it just commits him to complete his stretch. He can still step off or throw to a base. At least it makes it easier for me to not call stupid balks for violating a stupid rule.
Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that?
Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Dash, you seem emotionally constipated. Tell us how you really feel.
It all started with "R1 is on second, R2 is on 1st..." Please - just shoot me.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...

Dash,
Keen observation on your par in the wording of that case play 6.1.3P (I missed it). Yes, rocking the arm commits F1 to the stretch (not the pitch). Then how would you (or any Fed umpire) approach this situation in the coming season if F1 (while taking the signs with runners on base) is bent over at the waist and (A) lets his pitching arm hang motionless straight down away from his side -"gorilla arm," and (B) swings the hanging arm back and forth while he's reading the signs.

Based on CB 6.1.3P - even though it's poorly worded ("stupid" as you describe it) - it still gives instruction on how to regard the "gorilla arm." For me, it's absolutely not a balk in (A), but it is a balk in (B), and that's how I will currently interpret it for the coming season until I'm instructed otherwise by "higher ups."
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yes you can save them to your computer. I have both of them on my desktop right now.

You do need to have adobe though.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mbyron,
I guess I'm misinterpreting the word "download". Yes, I can download the Fed books to my computer for viewing, but I cannot save them to my computer OR copy and paste excerpts from them. I really meant the latter: saving to my computer and copying and pasting from the books. It just can't be done because they're copyright protected and have software in place to keep that from happening...
If you right-click on the links and save the PDFs to your computer, you can open them with Acrobat Reader, cut and paste, etc.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Log into the NFHS website, click on "Publications Library" in the right-hand menu, and navigate to Baseball at the bottom of the screen.
And pay $30 for membership??
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:18pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Well, if you're already a member of your state association you don't have to pay again.
Well, how do you show that on the NFHS site so you can download the rulebooks?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 08:50am
Stop staring at me swan.

I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True only if your state is a "100% participation" state (or soemthing like that).
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just logged into the site..I created a username and a password...I never got any prompts to pay any money. They must match the email address or mailing address or something...I don't totally remember since it's been a while since
Lucky you. I tried and got a "duplicate accounts with same email address" error. It said to notify the webmaster, which I did -- with no response.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I looked up Sit 5 from 2005 Interps, as far as I know, the only mention of "gorilla". The Sit said swinging the arm back and forth is illegal. A pitcher must have his hand behind his back or by his side (6-1-3).

The 2010 rules powerpoint illlustrates that holding the hand in front of the body is legal. It's the swinging back and forth that is interpreted as illegal.