The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2010 Fed Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/56348-2010-fed-baseball.html)

johnnyg08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59pm

2010 Fed Baseball

Hey fellas, for those of you who work FED ball, the 2010 rule and case books are on the NFHS website in pdf. I don't think we'll get our baseball packets for a bit yet, so it was nice to get the new ones on the website.

johnnyg08 Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:22pm

Here's some food for thought:

As posted in the 2010 FED rulebook:

Minor Editorial Rule Changes

1-4-2 Clarified the compliance of a pitcher's uniform

2-5-1 Clarified a section heading change

7-3-2 Clarified a batting infraction

8-1-1d1 Clarified when a batter is struck by a pitched ball

8-4-2 Clarified interference violation
PEN

9-1-1d Clarified a third out declaration

jkumpire Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:55pm

The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.

johnnyg08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 09:29pm

I really don't think it will be that big of a deal...many of us for years have had plate meetings stating that we deal with the head coach and only the head coach. We'll see how other parts of the country are affected...you might be right.

jkumpire Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36pm

Frankly, the area I work has few problems like this. But it must be bad enough somewhere for FED to get all hot and bothered about it.

cookie Mon Jan 11, 2010 05:16am

I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23am

Rodney Beck was the originator of the gorilla arm motion. I remember when he first hit the scene in 1992 at Candlestick (the year this shot was taken). He did it right from the start. He had several trademarks, but that was one of the most distinctive. One day, I asked him about it and when it started. He said, "What do you mean?" Then we showed him a video of it. "I didn't even know I did that. ... That's cool!" He said it like he said a lot of things: like a overgrown, fun-loving boy.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...odbeck-1-1.jpg

What a fine young man he was--as thoughtful and generous a soul as you will ever meet in pro sports. He devoted his life and his fortune to saving HIV infected infants and children--spearheading Pediatric AIDS charities and bankrolling summer camps and retreats for HIV kids and their families. He and his wife even adopted HIV-positive babies in order to give them a better life.

Much of this hero talk that goes on these days gives most of its attention to self-aggrandizing characters of curious heroism. Rod Beck was a true hero, who gave it all up for young people who were born without any hope at all. That's a hero.

I know, off topic---but the topic steered off-course to the gorilla arm, and it was unavoidable.

bossman72 Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56am

Does anyone have a link to the press release of the rule changes?

GoodwillRef Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 649791)
The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.

This is similar to the NCAA rule that has been in place for 2-3 years.

Rich Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18pm

My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.

johnnyg08 Mon Jan 11, 2010 06:12pm

it's not a link or press release yet....right now the 2009 stuff is still out there...that hasn't been published yet..the actual rule and case books are on the nfhs website. it's right in the point of emphasis part of the rule book.

Lapopez Tue Jan 12, 2010 07:42pm

Gorilla Arm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 649976)
I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.

I downloaded the 2010 rule book. I did not find this. It is not one of the points of emphasis. Rule 6-1-3 still states, "His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back."

Tim C Tue Jan 12, 2010 07:55pm

:-{

Quote:

"I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not."
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,

DG Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:21pm

Maybe not what was said, but slides 18, 19, 20 of the presentation on 2010 NFHS Baseball Rules Changes shows a pitcher with hand in front of body, right hander with ball in hand hanging down near the left knee, slide 19 says balk if he swings it, and slide 20 says gorilla arm is balk if he swings it. I guess you could say it is hanging by his side, his other side.

I have not seen the 2010 rule book yet, but so far gorilla arm has only been mentioned in 2005 interps, #5 I believe. No mention in rule book or case book, that I hsve seen.

umpjim Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:30pm

They announced the change on a few websites earlier last year and made it official with this new caseplay:

*6.1.3. Situation P: With a runner on first,Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hands down slightly in front or to the side away from his body.........a),........arm is stationary or b),..........arm rocks.........a)arm is natural and can be considered by his side.......b)any movement.........balk.

I'm not typing the whole thing. It's poorly worded regarding "starting the pitch" but I believe they want it legal now if no movement.