The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 10:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

2010 Fed Baseball

Hey fellas, for those of you who work FED ball, the 2010 rule and case books are on the NFHS website in pdf. I don't think we'll get our baseball packets for a bit yet, so it was nice to get the new ones on the website.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 11:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Here's some food for thought:

As posted in the 2010 FED rulebook:

Minor Editorial Rule Changes

1-4-2 Clarified the compliance of a pitcher's uniform

2-5-1 Clarified a section heading change

7-3-2 Clarified a batting infraction

8-1-1d1 Clarified when a batter is struck by a pitched ball

8-4-2 Clarified interference violation
PEN

9-1-1d Clarified a third out declaration
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 09:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I really don't think it will be that big of a deal...many of us for years have had plate meetings stating that we deal with the head coach and only the head coach. We'll see how other parts of the country are affected...you might be right.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Frankly, the area I work has few problems like this. But it must be bad enough somewhere for FED to get all hot and bothered about it.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Rodney Beck was the originator of the gorilla arm motion. I remember when he first hit the scene in 1992 at Candlestick (the year this shot was taken). He did it right from the start. He had several trademarks, but that was one of the most distinctive. One day, I asked him about it and when it started. He said, "What do you mean?" Then we showed him a video of it. "I didn't even know I did that. ... That's cool!" He said it like he said a lot of things: like a overgrown, fun-loving boy.

What a fine young man he was--as thoughtful and generous a soul as you will ever meet in pro sports. He devoted his life and his fortune to saving HIV infected infants and children--spearheading Pediatric AIDS charities and bankrolling summer camps and retreats for HIV kids and their families. He and his wife even adopted HIV-positive babies in order to give them a better life.

Much of this hero talk that goes on these days gives most of its attention to self-aggrandizing characters of curious heroism. Rod Beck was a true hero, who gave it all up for young people who were born without any hope at all. That's a hero.

I know, off topic---but the topic steered off-course to the gorilla arm, and it was unavoidable.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 02:15pm.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a link to the press release of the rule changes?
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
The most interesting change in several years is coming down the pike.

I will be very interested to see how coaches and umpires adapt to the new assistant coach rules, 3-3-1.
This is similar to the NCAA rule that has been in place for 2-3 years.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 06:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

it's not a link or press release yet....right now the 2009 stuff is still out there...that hasn't been published yet..the actual rule and case books are on the nfhs website. it's right in the point of emphasis part of the rule book.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:42pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Gorilla Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not.
I downloaded the 2010 rule book. I did not find this. It is not one of the points of emphasis. Rule 6-1-3 still states, "His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back."
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

:-{

Quote:
"I'm not on that website right now, but I have been there recently and noticed that in the 2010 Rule book, the "gorilla arm" is now permitted. F1 can have his throwing arm hanging downward while he is bent over at the waist as long as he doesn't swing it. Swinging it would be a balk with runners on; letting it hang there would not."
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe not what was said, but slides 18, 19, 20 of the presentation on 2010 NFHS Baseball Rules Changes shows a pitcher with hand in front of body, right hander with ball in hand hanging down near the left knee, slide 19 says balk if he swings it, and slide 20 says gorilla arm is balk if he swings it. I guess you could say it is hanging by his side, his other side.

I have not seen the 2010 rule book yet, but so far gorilla arm has only been mentioned in 2005 interps, #5 I believe. No mention in rule book or case book, that I hsve seen.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

They announced the change on a few websites earlier last year and made it official with this new caseplay:

*6.1.3. Situation P: With a runner on first,Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hands down slightly in front or to the side away from his body.........a),........arm is stationary or b),..........arm rocks.........a)arm is natural and can be considered by his side.......b)any movement.........balk.

I'm not typing the whole thing. It's poorly worded regarding "starting the pitch" but I believe they want it legal now if no movement.

Last edited by umpjim; Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 08:41pm.