The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

great...so it actually says that the gorilla arm is a ball if he swings at it? I better see those slides...that is absurd.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

The notes that were distributed after the summer committee meetings said that: "there will be an editoral change to the rule but the intent is to remain."

Nothing was noted in the PR release earlier this off season.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:23pm
Veteran College Umpire

The Case book play says "the pitcher is bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary, or b) the arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: in a) the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b) any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk."

SO, he can hang the arm down there, but he cannot move it.

The Rules book has no new wording, so the Case book interp is the only thing that is new.

JJ

PS I have a copy of the 2010 Rules book and Case book, and this play is on page 51 of the Case book.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

Hey not bad, five words or less.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:39pm
Stop staring at me swan.

At least they made it less of a "don't do that"...if the interp actually says "balk" that is great.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

This whole discussion about the Gorilla Arm should have a disclaimer

Umpires: USE COMMON SENSE.

If the are slight moves as he looks in for a sign, it isn't a balk. If he swings it back and forth in an obvious manner, Balk him. Do it once, problem solved.

Fed tries to make it easy and consistent to umpire their rules, but sometimes they make it nonsensical because people think they have to apply rules exactly as they are written.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Tim C please note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Your interpretation is NOT what was said at the summer meetings. F1's arm must STILL be at his side or behind his back.

NOTHING has chaged concerning the "gorilla arm".

Regards,
Please see the following: Umpire's Resource Center - 2010 High School Baseball Rule Changes by Kyle McNeely

I quote:

"2. SITUATION: The pitcher, in the set position, takes his stance with the ball in his pitching hand and his pitching arm hanging straight down. RULING: This is legal. If the pitcher were to swing his pitching arm, while in this position, it would be illegal and a balk if runner(s) are on base."

Also see case book play 6.1.3.Situation P, 2010 casebook p. 51.

This is a change as I understood the 2009 rules my good friend.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, the new rule is much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My only HS ejection in the last 4 years was a first base coach that decided to follow me into the outfield last season after a third out call he didn't like and not go away when I told him to.

This really just formalizes what our (my usual partners) practice has been for years.
Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Rich, I think you are mistaken.

This year, if the 1B/assistant coach comes to argue a call, he and the Head Coach are to be immediately restricted to the dugout for the rest of the game. Only the HC can dispute a call. Now if the rat runs by and asks you about the call, that's okay. but if he leaves the coaches box or the dugout to complain, he and his boss sit in the dugout.
HC's are Rats, some bigger than others. AC's are mice.

I don't know what is so special about this year. This ruling started last year. No mice are to come out looking for cheese.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:18pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Last year's threads discussed that it was a regional issue...which is probably true for most new rules and rule changes outside of something like the -3 bat rule or something...it will probably be a POE in some areas and not in others...yet now, it's in the rules, giving us something to work with.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
So I can see it now. "Time. That's a balk. He simulated a gorilla movement. Runner, 2nd base."

I believe the phrase you're seeking is, according to the case play, "started and stopped."
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 07:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
We discussed the gorilla arm last night at our meeting. Just as discussed here, balk if he moves it.

I don't think I would use the phrase, "gorilla movement," as some tight-a$$ politically correct coach or parent will accuse you of calling the pitcher a great ape.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 08:45pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I kind of like the "started and stopped" it takes the jargon out of it too...
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Problem is, no pitcher doing this is starting and stopping. They just swinging their arm in front of their body, prior to 2005 interps, ignored, and mostly ignored since, since it only showed up in interp and not case book or rule book.

So, "that's a balk" is the appropriate response and only if the HC comes out for explanation would I say that swinging the arm in front of the body like that is balk in HS. This was covered at the annual meeting. In my state all HC are required to make an annual meeting, either coaches meeting or an umpires meeting so there should really be few balks called and less coming out to get explanation.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Also, 'started and stopped' would put you within the 5 words or less, Steve!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.