View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hehehehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Steve:

What chance do you think there would be that a coach could possibly come out to discuss and request a reading of any of those nine rules and the two of you actually come to an answer by reading the simple words in the book?

We have been hashing the same plays around the internet for four years with sitations from JEA, J/R, BRD, "Knotty Problems", the NAPBL Manual and still have serious questions about rules that appear simple to some.

If a coach came out to argue that "the hands ARE part of the bat" and told you to get out the rule book and SHOW HIM that he is wrong, could it be done? Nope.

Even if you require a coach to "find" whatever information in the book that backs his position THEN come out to discuss it that doesn't work either.
You missed the whole point. A *coach* does not determine when the umpire references the rulebook. The *umpire* refers to it whenever he thinks it is appropriate. NOT when the coach thinks it's appropriate.

If I had the rulebook in my back pocket and a coach started complaining that the hands are part of the bat - I would *not* get out my rulebook to show him that he's wrong! That's not why I would have it available.

It is there from MY use ... not HIS. I have to admit, there are some esoteric rules in there that I may not be 100% sure about it some odd play should pop up.

If a fielder throws his glove at a thrown ball and hits it ... what is the base award? And how does this effect other runners? Does thed award start at the point where the runner was when the infraction occurred -or- is it at the time of the throw? Or is it at the time of the pitch? Is the ball dead when this happens?

I'm pretty confident I know all these answers. But, if coached challenged me, I'd probably take a peek just to make sure I'm getting it right. My confidence factor would not be 100%. If it was, I wouldn't bother. I'd just let him protest the game without any need to reference the rulebook.