Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

When will you "call it a day"

Hi all:

One thing is for certain.

One day we will have to call it a day, it's just a matter of when.

I am 53 and plan on "calling it a day" when I am 55

Here are my top 5 reasons why.

1. Eventually we all will have to "call it a day" it's just a matter of when. I do not want someone telling me "Pete it's time to go" because my skills are diminishing etc. I want to go out on my own. We have had guys in our association that "in their day" were TOP officials but unfortunately did not know when to quit and had to be downgraded etc. Not a pretty sight.

2. I do not know about you but one of these years I want a full and relaxing summer. From the end of March until the end of July at least for me "it's nuts" even in the east coast. Busy almost every day. Legion starts around June 1st along with CBL (Collegiate Wood bat league) plus travel ball. It calms down a bit in August but then Fall ball "kicks in around the first week in September. Also, it's difficult to say "I'll cut down on my schedule" because inevitably your assignor will call and say "Pete I am in a bind can you do 2/3 for me today" or "Pete we have a tournament and I am short" etc. etc. Therefore, IMO you either Committ or don't do it at all

3. The game has changed and in IMO for the worse. "In my day" the umpires simply "umpired". If I got out of line etc. the coach would bench me. In other words the coach was the ONLY person who would speak to the officials no matter what the call was. Now-a-days coaches for the most part have no control over their players and then get OUTRAGED when you toss one.

4. All this safety bul****t that was NOT prevelant in my day. I played under the rules of the BIG BOYS. No FED in HS back then and we lived to play another day. Now you have lawsuit upon lawsuit.

5. Parents etc. Again a deterent in umpiring.

In a nusthell do you have a PLAN when you will call it a day?

Pete Booth