The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 10:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
The problem that we've faced, is that I don't see them sticking with it. We've done it enough years now to see the progression.

Of the 20 or so that we've worked with, only a couple are still umpiring. Once they get to college, they give it up etc.
Same here. For whatever reason it seems the young-teenage, "This is easy and I'd like to have some spending money" is overcome by the older-teenage "This takes up too much of my time when I could be doing something else and isn't worth it anymore."

If we can find a few that will keep at it, we consider ourselves lucky.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Same here. For whatever reason it seems the young-teenage, "This is easy and I'd like to have some spending money" is overcome by the older-teenage "This takes up too much of my time when I could be doing something else and isn't worth it anymore."

If we can find a few that will keep at it, we consider ourselves lucky.
I have taught baseball at many levels. But a love of the game can't be taught. Umpires need to have that love of the game. I present it, and if a greater love of the game is acquired, then that's great. But it has to be in the person.

The only kid I saw stick at umpiring, who doesn't really love the game, is a guy who gets off on being an authority. He's also a horrible umpire.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=David B;647313]Not necessarily, we've had one in place for the last six years. It's a good program and I've had lots of potential and some very good young umpires.

The problem that we've faced, is that I don't see them sticking with it. We've done it enough years now to see the progression. I used umpiring as a way to pay for college and to work on my Masters degree. Easy way to work around my college etc, with good pay, flexible hours.

Of the 20 or so that we've worked with, only a couple are still umpiring. Once they get to college, they give it up etc.,

But, we won't give up. If we've gotten one good umpire, that's progress.

I hope others are doing the same.

It's really tough sometimes to stick with umpiring or officiating long term. I umpired some local little league in high school but gave it up after that. I got back into officiating when I was 38 (basketball and baseball) and have stayed in basketball for 10 years. However, I did give up baseball for about 4 or 5 years because I had three sons playing and didn't have the time. I'm down to one now so I can work my games around his. All three of my older boys played baseball all through high school, but none played basketball, so I had no problem continuing to work that sport. I've also seen guys give it up because their wives get tired of them being gone so much and give them an ultimatum. My job took a toll on my basketball schedule for a few years at one time too, although it no longer does. There are just a lot of things that can lead a guy to give it up. Even though I still love it, there are still nights when I rush from work to go work a baseball or basketball doubleheader an hour away when I wonder why I do it. I almost always enjoy the games once I get there and get started. I finally learned that cutting back my schedule made officiating more enjoyable for me.

Don't know when the time will come to quit, but I am certain I will know when it gets here. As others have said, when it is no longer fun, when I don't look forward to the start of each season, I will walk away with no regrets, many friends and a ton of great memories.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

I will move down from college to high school only, then from HS to JBO, etc..I will move down each time when as the plate ump, I can't get at least half way between the dirt of the mound and 2nd base when my partner goes out. I make the cutout pretty easily still at 43 year old with 25 years umping. I think I can do another 10 at least at the collegiate level, maybe 20 if I can keep myself in good shape.

If you can't at least make it up 1/3 the 1st base line on an infield grounder, or make it AT LEAST between the mound and 2nd base when your partner goes out, you SHOULD NOT do that level! You are a disservice to the game at that point. Be good to the game and make room for the younger guys to move up. The lower level games that you can keep up with need quality officiating too!
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
I turned 54 last Saturday and will be starting my 30th year umpiring in March. I call HS & JUCO in the spring, PONY in the summer (not so much in the summer any more). I wanted to reach 30 years, so I will work this year. After that, I am going to seriously evaluate. I did not have a great year last year. I missed more calls on the bases than I can remember. I did OK behind the dish. I'm going to work real hard at having a better year this year. I have to decide if the bad calls were a result of some degree of not working hard enough, or if I just can't do it anymore because I have slowed down too much. Also, the cold weather in March and April gets to me a lot more now than it used too. Even if I give up working on the field I will stay involved. I teach a course in my school in Officiating and one of my students has gone on to a fine career calling college ball and working in one of the independent leagues.

Chris Wright
Brooklyn, NY
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:32pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I always said I'd do it till I was 60, and then decide on a year-by-year basis depending on my ratings, enthusiam, and how well my body is holding up. It just seems a shame to me to arbitrarily pick a date when I've worked so hard for so many years to get to the level I am at now. If I pay attention to the three criteria I outlined, the choice will, for the most part, be made for me.

JJ
Well, the choice has been made for me. Had hip replacement 17 months ago, and had my best year ever in 2009. At Christmas that same hip started bothering me. Bottom line, after a bunch of tests, it will be replaced - again - in a week. Scratch me for 2010. But not yet for 2011.
Have fun out there, guys!

JJ
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:04am
Stop staring at me swan.

Hang in there. Work hard and get back into it if you still have the urge. Good luck w/ everything.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Well, the choice has been made for me. Had hip replacement 17 months ago, and had my best year ever in 2009. At Christmas that same hip started bothering me. Bottom line, after a bunch of tests, it will be replaced - again - in a week. Scratch me for 2010. But not yet for 2011.Have fun out there, guys!

JJ
That's the spirit! Good luck in your recovery!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, the choice has been made for me. Had hip replacement 17 months ago, and had my best year ever in 2009. At Christmas that same hip started bothering me. Bottom line, after a bunch of tests, it will be replaced - again - in a week. Scratch me for 2010. But not yet for 2011.

JJ
Everything will go great and you'll be back out there working in the game we all love so much.

All the best!!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:32am

Quote:

JJ
Man, I hope all goes well. I am supposed to have a valve in my heart replaced in 6 months to a year from now, and it has me quite concerned too. Plus, I have to drop at least 30 more pounds before I can have the surgery.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I remember back in the 80's when men's fast pitch softball was beginning to fade because the older pitchers did not "teach" the younger guys how to pitch..... How many men's fast pitch leagues do you see today? That’s why I am a huge supporter of staying involved in the umpiring business even after reaching that "age" or moment when being on the field is no longer feasible... We need some "teachers" of the art of umpiring to help those coming up...
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I love going to games and watching the umpires now!

I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I hang it up.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I get grand studs (or gals) who want to be with me during baseball season, I will quit in instant.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

One reason I'll be with it for a long time God-willing is that I can't stand sitting the the bleachers with the casual fan. I like watching baseball with people who love and understand the intricacies of the game...which makes watching baseball in the stands, not very fun 99% of the time.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool 60?

I turn 61 in March at the start of the High School Season in the Buckeye State....can still see, still walk/jog, and still have my health...I have 50 Games(44 Varsity) scheduled before getting into the tournaments on May 8th, Then Summer High School(ACME) and American Legion. I did 110 games last season, and will try to equal or top that this go around. I plan on going until my body tells me it's time to pack it in.

Now with Basketball and Football, that may be another story...65 is probably my limit, but maybe nature or God will decide that earlier may be better, but for now, I'll keep going as long as the AD and Assigners think I'm getting the job done.

Last edited by hootrgibson; Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 01:01pm.