The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   When will you "call it a day" (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55993-when-will-you-call-day.html)

PeteBooth Fri Dec 18, 2009 01:30pm

When will you "call it a day"

Hi all:

One thing is for certain.

One day we will have to call it a day, it's just a matter of when.

I am 53 and plan on "calling it a day" when I am 55

Here are my top 5 reasons why.

1. Eventually we all will have to "call it a day" it's just a matter of when. I do not want someone telling me "Pete it's time to go" because my skills are diminishing etc. I want to go out on my own. We have had guys in our association that "in their day" were TOP officials but unfortunately did not know when to quit and had to be downgraded etc. Not a pretty sight.

2. I do not know about you but one of these years I want a full and relaxing summer. From the end of March until the end of July at least for me "it's nuts" even in the east coast. Busy almost every day. Legion starts around June 1st along with CBL (Collegiate Wood bat league) plus travel ball. It calms down a bit in August but then Fall ball "kicks in around the first week in September. Also, it's difficult to say "I'll cut down on my schedule" because inevitably your assignor will call and say "Pete I am in a bind can you do 2/3 for me today" or "Pete we have a tournament and I am short" etc. etc. Therefore, IMO you either Committ or don't do it at all

3. The game has changed and in IMO for the worse. "In my day" the umpires simply "umpired". If I got out of line etc. the coach would bench me. In other words the coach was the ONLY person who would speak to the officials no matter what the call was. Now-a-days coaches for the most part have no control over their players and then get OUTRAGED when you toss one.

4. All this safety bul****t that was NOT prevelant in my day. I played under the rules of the BIG BOYS. No FED in HS back then and we lived to play another day. Now you have lawsuit upon lawsuit.

5. Parents etc. Again a deterent in umpiring.

In a nusthell do you have a PLAN when you will call it a day?

Pete Booth

kylejt Fri Dec 18, 2009 01:47pm

When it's no longer fun.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Dec 18, 2009 01:59pm

Pete: DO NOT LEAVE UMPIRING IN TWO YEARS!!

Umpiring needs you and everyone remotely like you, Pete. You know in your heart when it's time to move somewhere, but not out of umpiring. You can help younger umpires just by being out there. You love it, and others can learn to love it just by being around you.

I got into it late, and I'll be 53 next year. I've managed to stay pretty athletic for this age, but I've already decided that when I can't pull off the more challenging levels, I'll just move down to the smaller diamond and help out there. Smaller diamond may be the answer, Pete. When Sinatra got older, he just had his orchestra play louder.

celebur Fri Dec 18, 2009 02:43pm

What Kevin said.

New umpires NEED good experienced umpires to stick around and mentor them.

JJ Fri Dec 18, 2009 03:25pm

I always said I'd do it till I was 60, and then decide on a year-by-year basis depending on my ratings, enthusiam, and how well my body is holding up. It just seems a shame to me to arbitrarily pick a date when I've worked so hard for so many years to get to the level I am at now. If I pay attention to the three criteria I outlined, the choice will, for the most part, be made for me.

JJ

Tim C Fri Dec 18, 2009 03:59pm

Done Deal!

Pete, excellent question!

I had planned on working in 2010. The reason was I would than have worked as a certified NFHS umpire in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

I truely enjoy the administrative side of umpiring. I teach in my local group and statewide in the three umpire certification clinics. I enjoyed writing the Oregon Athletic Officials Association Manual for The Two Umpire Crew. That manual is now the statewide official training manual for all high school baseball umpires.

I loved a three year stint as the Vice President of Rules in my local group.

I love being the Secretary of the OAOA State Baseball Umpire Committee.

I love representing all officials in America on the Editorial Board of the NFHS magazine High School Today.

But sadly I got to a point where I HATED to umpire games.

Many of Pete's reasons were always in my way to enjoy the game part of umpiring.

I worked 4,001 games (the last one with my best friend) and won three prestigious awards for the 2009 season.

As I hit the big 60 I recognized that I no longer had the desire to work as hard as I deemed necessary to keep myself content with the quality of my work.

I followed great advice I was once given: "Tim, it is always better to retire two years too soon than one year too late."

TC

UmpJM Fri Dec 18, 2009 07:51pm

Pete,

I'm still pretty new to this, so I haven't given your question a lot of thought. Right now, I'm more focused on how good I can get and what "level" I can get to and be considered a "quality" umpire.

So far, I would have to say that kylejt's thoughts on the subject best express my own - when it stops being fun. Of course, I'm even (slightly) older than you, so physical decrepitude may catch up to me before it stops being fun.

I think your point #1 (don't stay beyond your capability to be competent) is an excellent one, and I hope I have the wisdom to recognize when that day has come before someone else has to tell me - directly or indirectly.

In terms of a "full and relaxing" summer, to me that's the one where I get to call as many (quality) baseball games as possible. One of the most enjoyable aspects of umpiring for me is that I get so immersed in the game that I completely forget all the other "stresses" in my life (work, raising children, financial concerns, the way our government has become a plutocratic oligarchy rather than a democratic republic, etc.). And, if I don't have something to do, I get bored pretty quickly.

I don't get much "attitude" from players (seems most coaches around here maintain some discipline on their teams) and though some of the "safety" BS bothers me a little as well, it doesn't bother me "that much". I still feel that the nonsense from the parents is more amusing than annoying, but, as I said, I'm still kind of new at this.

So, no, I do NOT currently have a plan for retiring from umpiring. I hope I'm still doing it in my 60's. Time will tell.

Good question.

JM

Forest Ump Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01pm

I'll give it up the day I don't have to use Wikipeda to look up things that Coach JM writes. "plutocratic oligarchy" Huh?:D

But seriously, I hit 49 yesterday so I still have a few more years to go. I don't hunt anymore. I still like to go boating and fishing and working on old British cars. Umpiring is by far my biggest passion now. When the day comes that being on the field is a chore, that will be the day that I hang it up. I don't see that happening yet, I have more fun doing this as every year passes.

cbfoulds Sat Dec 19, 2009 04:48pm

I am 53 years old. I started umpiring the same week I learned I was going to be the father of a son [he's now 18]. I "set the date" quite some time ago, but it is not on any calendar [yet]. I plan to quit on the day that (a) I cannot get from A to the 3d base cut-out comfortably ahead of both the ball and an ambitious 16-year-old batter-runner; or (b) when it stops being fun - whichever comes first.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Dec 19, 2009 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbfoulds (Post 644199)
I am 53 years old. I started umpiring the same week I learned I was going to be the father of a son [he's now 18]. I "set the date" quite some time ago, but it is not on any calendar [yet]. I plan to quit on the day that (a) I cannot get from A to the 3d base cut-out comfortably ahead of both the ball and an ambitious 16-year-old batter-runner; or (b) when it stops being fun - whichever comes first.

So when you can't get to the cut-out at third, switch to the smaller diamond! Umpiring needs you, even after you've lost a step ... or two.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Dec 19, 2009 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 644146)
But seriously, I hit 49 yesterday so I still have a few more years to go.

Hey, Forest: Happy Birthday!

(The first 49th birthday is the best one.)

RPatrino Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:46pm

49 years old? I don't believe it!! You don't look a day over 30...

jkumpire Sun Dec 20, 2009 05:47am

When Will I retire?

Never.

Heaven needs umpires too.

Forest Ump Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:19pm

Thanks Kevin.:)

Believe it Bob, I've got the snow on the roof to prove it.;)

Kevin Finnerty Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36pm

I remember the first snow. It came along with the first (and only) wife and the first kid.