The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well last month, the BIG 60 came upon me. My son sent a card that said "Happy Birthday Dad , your not getting older, your getting better. When I opened the inside of the card it said. "Hell, you were OLD last year"!

I've been lucky because, I have never HAD to officiate. Its always been because I wanted to. When my desire dwindles, my hustle and performance start hurting the games I officiate, and I can no longer actually EARN the fee I receive, then I will either hang it up or do games at lower levels.

Every year I work on improving another part of my umpiring. Well I'm still working on it.

I love this game of Basiball, it has been very very good for me.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm fity, 31 years of BB, Three reasons drove me to call it a day.

1. Health, I've a blood disorder that has my platelets going through the sh///er. Foul balls that get any meat leave me looking like I went through a grinder with bruising. Doc, my bride and nurse daughter convinced me begrudgingly, it wasn't worth the risk/s, severe bruising is bleeding, if it occurs at the wrong time or place I could be in trouble. I'm not the guy that'll just work the bases, selfish yes, but the way it is. I've worked a lot of softball over the past few years (8) as a side gig, enjoy the heck out of it, but it just doesn't fill the BB needs, so I hung that up too.

2. Pete nailed it, and it pushed my second foot out the door;
"I do not know about you but one of these years I want a full and relaxing summer"
I truley enjoyed a full summer (meaning spring, summer and fall) of goofing off, camping with the grand studs, hiking, swimming and sunning, ah, it was wonnerful. I still pay my dues (just in case) attend a training session or two, offer advice to those that wish it, even offered up and did a few evals. I think I'll be okay with it, but the itch is still there, I miss the best seat in the house.

3. These umpire training guru's got to me too and those that drink the kool-ade, which I've shared somewhat in a few past heated posts. Tag a guy for a third out, then appeal to 1B cause the BR didn't touch it..Mr DD is rolling in his grave..on deck batters allowed to wonder willy nilly on the field of play knocking balls outta play, for extra base awards, there are more for sure.
These guys put out some great stuff don't get me wrong, some great tools to learn the craft, but they do use some fodder to fill pages IMHO. Do bring these topics up at your training/meetings, and do as your association dictates...

We'll see where the future takes me, Grand studs time's of ball are coming up. Coaching is my first passion, 17 years worth, BB, hoops and soccer, hint, hint, oh son-in-law. Already been approached to wear the zebra outfit (white cane and sunglasses) and considering this here soccer stuff too, though not sure I'd like being out in those type elements, first time I rained a soccer game out, I'm sure I'd be taking some heat :')

I'm still playing hoops, just staying outta the paint (as much as possible, no more diving, or knocking heads, and only a few charges taken this year (flops) and been know to linger in the outfield for some softball, can't hurt me out there, the only threat is running the bases (wild throws), which they have the coolest (courtesy runner) rule, run down some fly balls, slash a single then let the non-hitting young-n's run for me, or pull out the stops with a long ball from time to time..dabbling in billiards (BCA) they even have certified officials, and cribbage (ACC) they have officials too, darts, maybe some shuffleboard, you know those less contact sports.

So in closing, yes, there is life without umpiring, ya just gotta work at it a bit harder.

Call em as you see em. Happy Holidays.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

When I can no longer keep up. Like other posters here, I refuse to be the old guy who plants his arse in B or C and air mails every call. Nor will I work the dirt around the dish. If I can't make my rotations, then it's time to hang em up. Most importantly, when it's no longer fun. I spent wayyy to much money to attend JEAPU, only to learn that to attend at 48, won't get you anywhere, especially when you live in the wrong area for overall good baseball. (I was hoping to move into D1 ball, not MiLB.) So, at 52, with a surgically reparied back, I'll work till it's no longer fun or I simply can't physically work and keep up without the fear of re-injuring myself.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

To Pete:

I agree with everything you said. I too am growing tired of all the BS there is with baseball. the coaches, the players and the crowd are slowly becoming a thorn that I do not wish to pull out of my back side any longer.

To Tim C

A shame for your younger umpires not to get the chance that many of your veterans had - to work with a classic umpire of days gone by. I am coming to that point that you have already passed.

I think that this coming season, I will do more evaluating than umpiring. I will still be able to pass on to younger umpires my skills and knowledge. I love being on the field but between the surgeries, the heart and age, I see that the end is approaching.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Some officials are old at 40 and others are still young at 60. I'm not 60 but I'm getting close. I still look forward to my games and I have FUN. As long as it's fun and I know I'm doing a good job I'll continue officiating.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I am past 60 (63) but after 20 years as an umpire, I am not ready to quit yet. Still having fun and believe it or not, still learning!!
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:40pm

I will quit again if and when I can no longer beat any runner to 3rd on a naked triple. I'm not one of those guys who wants the PU up there at 3rd helping out. Stay the hell at the plate, please.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I will quit again if and when I can no longer beat any runner to 3rd on a naked triple. I'm not one of those guys who wants the PU up there at 3rd helping out. Stay the hell at the plate, please.
Or staying with the B/R to 3rd (and perhaps beyond) when my partner has gone out on a trouble ball.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

After thinking about this subject for a bit, and realizing that I will age beyond the game, ideally I will give up the game when I am dead. I have such a passion for umpiring that I hope that I can help other umpires attain their goals long after I am done on the diamond. In my area, it seems that there is a total lack of developing new talent. Politics seem to play a major role where guys are worried about losing out to up and coming umpires. I have never been a politic guy, which has been a detrement to my career, but the game will be here after I am gone and there will always be a need for umpires. At this stage, I am not the best umpire, but I know I can teach you how to be the best umpire, if not direct you how to be the best umpire, at the amateur level. Like the adage goes, do as I say, not as I do. Although I have had a run in or two with Tim C. on forums such as this, I respect what he has done on the field while never witnessing it. He will do more now, since he is out of the game, on a broader scope than he did while working in Oregon, as a teacher, writer and correspondent for the betterment of the umpireing community. As a guy from Nebraska, there are very few things I want to do in my lifetime: such as, have a drink with Dean Martin, smoke a dooby with Kieth Richards and umpire a game with Tim Christensen. Sloppy I know, but I hope that I have the ability to help others long after I am unable to perform my duties as an on field umpire. Keep the passion, teach with passion.

Troy
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Hard to say for sure

Pete,

I see your point, but i think it's different for every umpire. The biggest problem as others have said is there is no young umpires who are coming behind us to carry the torch.

We see it every weekend with all of the "select ball" being played with umpires calling the games with little or no experience. It's quite painful since I have spent most of my officiating career as one of the trainers for the associations that I've worked with.

As far as calling it quits, that will come for me when i cannot enjoy it any longer, or physically cannot give it 100%. I will be 50 next year, but I still love the game of baseball. I really don't care to watch it from the stands, but for some reason i love watching it as an umpire.

As far as accomplishments, I've about done everything you can do as an amateur umpire, but I still have the desire to help train up umpires who still care about the game like we were taught when we started.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 07:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
As a guy from Nebraska, there are very few things I want to do in my lifetime: such as, have a drink with Dean Martin, smoke a dooby with Kieth Richards and umpire a game with Tim Christensen.
Gonna be hard to have a drink with Dino, seeing as how he left us 14 years ago, but if you hurry you can fire up a fatty with Keith. It might be almost as hard to work a game with Tee as to drink with Dean Martin!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
The biggest problem as others have said is there is no young umpires who are coming behind us to carry the torch.....

As far as accomplishments, I've about done everything you can do as an amateur umpire, but I still have the desire to help train up umpires who still care about the game like we were taught when we started.
Then do like me, and head down to your local Little League park and start a Junior Umpire program. I'm putting 30 kids on the field every year, many of whom end up working for the local association down the road. There's your future.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'll call it a day as soon as I miss a call. *wink*
Old Mon Dec 28, 2009, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

I'm turning 30 this week, so I'm far away from even thinking about stopping for age reasons.

Like the others, however, I'll quit when it's no longer fun. I've had other interests in the past and I gave them up, or cut the down, when the fun was no longer there. I still enjoy some of those hobbies, but not nearly as much as before.

Right now, umpiring is tons of fun -- at all levels. I'm sure I'll be tired of it one day, but that day isn't even on the radar right now.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Then do like me, and head down to your local Little League park and start a Junior Umpire program. I'm putting 30 kids on the field every year, many of whom end up working for the local association down the road. There's your future.
Not necessarily, we've had one in place for the last six years. It's a good program and I've had lots of potential and some very good young umpires.

The problem that we've faced, is that I don't see them sticking with it. We've done it enough years now to see the progression. I used umpiring as a way to pay for college and to work on my Masters degree. Easy way to work around my college etc, with good pay, flexible hours.

Of the 20 or so that we've worked with, only a couple are still umpiring. Once they get to college, they give it up etc.,

But, we won't give up. If we've gotten one good umpire, that's progress.

I hope others are doing the same.

Thanks
David