View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=David B;647313]Not necessarily, we've had one in place for the last six years. It's a good program and I've had lots of potential and some very good young umpires.

The problem that we've faced, is that I don't see them sticking with it. We've done it enough years now to see the progression. I used umpiring as a way to pay for college and to work on my Masters degree. Easy way to work around my college etc, with good pay, flexible hours.

Of the 20 or so that we've worked with, only a couple are still umpiring. Once they get to college, they give it up etc.,

But, we won't give up. If we've gotten one good umpire, that's progress.

I hope others are doing the same.

It's really tough sometimes to stick with umpiring or officiating long term. I umpired some local little league in high school but gave it up after that. I got back into officiating when I was 38 (basketball and baseball) and have stayed in basketball for 10 years. However, I did give up baseball for about 4 or 5 years because I had three sons playing and didn't have the time. I'm down to one now so I can work my games around his. All three of my older boys played baseball all through high school, but none played basketball, so I had no problem continuing to work that sport. I've also seen guys give it up because their wives get tired of them being gone so much and give them an ultimatum. My job took a toll on my basketball schedule for a few years at one time too, although it no longer does. There are just a lot of things that can lead a guy to give it up. Even though I still love it, there are still nights when I rush from work to go work a baseball or basketball doubleheader an hour away when I wonder why I do it. I almost always enjoy the games once I get there and get started. I finally learned that cutting back my schedule made officiating more enjoyable for me.

Don't know when the time will come to quit, but I am certain I will know when it gets here. As others have said, when it is no longer fun, when I don't look forward to the start of each season, I will walk away with no regrets, many friends and a ton of great memories.