The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Dad

I posted this on another forum but would like some input on this from some NCAA guys....

This is why I hate travel and club ball. This is a fall ball development league. I have the stick, top of 2, and visiting team down 6, 7 or 8 (or whatever) to 0. Coach Dad is warned on balls and strikes.
In the 7th or 8th of a 9 inning game visitors down 20 or so to 0...2 outs, R1, 2-2 count, batter nicks the ball, it hits the catchers glove and goes to the backstop, I rule foul. Someone from the hole yells "It was catchers interference! Figure it out!" Me being the politically correct umpire that I am simply LOOK in the hole. Coach Dad flips, not arguing catchers interference but that I looked in his dugout. He Starts ranting and raving as he's headed towards me. I say "We aren't doing this." He continues to the plate yelling. I tell him two more times while giving him the stop sign not to come down here. Because all he wants to do is yell and scream at me about nothing. He says something inappropriate and gets run.
He pulls his hitter and runner into the hole and says, "We're through, we aren't playing with you out here." Game over.
While I know this is high school stuff. For you NCAA guys any advise on how this should be handled? If anything different. As I find there to be a huge difference between the pro game and the college game as far as how situations are supposed to be handled. And I'm really trying to learn anything I can about umpiring in general to keep improving.
Thanks guys

Last edited by batboy22; Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 12:04am.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, I'd like advise from everyone. I simply mean how should this be handled in a college game. Thanks again.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Is this a college level fall ball game? Do you want opinions on how to handle this is regular season or in the fall ball setting?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Is this a college level fall ball game? Do you want opinions on how to handle this is regular season or in the fall ball setting?
Regular season...College

Thanks
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy22 View Post
Regular season...College

Thanks
Hard to say, this doesn't happen in college games. At least none I've worked or watched.

In fall ball "developmental", for my taste that was one warning to many. Then, after his tantrum and pulling his kids, pack up your gear and go home.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Honestly in a regular season game.. I would have done the same thing... you gave him warning about balls and strikes early in the game... and then when this all happened, it seemed like you tried to talk him down and you were not the aggressor, which is great, some guys will always want to be aggressive. I use the stop sign as well. its a great non aggressive tactic. I say you did just fine. I just umpired a fall game for a D-II school 2 day 75* in Missouri in Nov.. awesome weather... not a peep out of anyone...fun game..I sure this was my last game till Feb..
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Hard to say, this doesn't happen in college games. At least none I've worked or watched.

In fall ball "developmental", for my taste that was one warning to many. Then, after his tantrum and pulling his kids, pack up your gear and go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Honestly in a regular season game.. I would have done the same thing... you gave him warning about balls and strikes early in the game... and then when this all happened, it seemed like you tried to talk him down and you were not the aggressor, which is great, some guys will always want to be aggressive. I use the stop sign as well. its a great non aggressive tactic. I say you did just fine. I just umpired a fall game for a D-II school 2 day 75* in Missouri in Nov.. awesome weather... not a peep out of anyone...fun game..I sure this was my last game till Feb..
I tend to agree Mr. Umpire. Probably gave him one to many warnings....man Umpmazza that sounds like my kinda weather.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Fall Ball

Batboy,

Best advice I can give you for that level of play is make sure you get paid before the game starts.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

What an embarrasment to a college level player. About all you can do is think "Well coach don't let the gate hit you in the **s on the way out".

In verbal english, "Have a nice day!"
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy22 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd like advise from everyone. I simply mean how should this be handled in a college game. Thanks again.
The chances of this happening in a college game are extremely small. There's an autoimatic suspension in the rules for the coach if he pulls his team.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in school, a coach pulled his team after one of his players was tossed for telling the BU, "You don't know anything." His team was packing up to leave, and we were razzing them pretty good, wishing them a pleasant trip home, etc. But then somebody must have intervened, or maybe the coach simply changed his mind, because they then unpacked and the game continued.

I remember that the coach was ragging on both umps right from the beginning, moaning about obvious calls, claiming on anything close that he was being robbed. I also remember that he looked pretty young, so I suspected he was somehow a last-minute replacement for the real coach.

My junior year in college, the regular Boston College coach was sick and sent an assistant. The guy couldn't handle the game or his team, and the afternoon ended in a brawl.

PS. I don't do college baseball (I'm not in the clique), but I've done plenty of college softball, and I've never had even the slightest incident with player or coach or spectator.

Last edited by greymule; Sat Nov 07, 2009 at 01:14pm.
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

If he comes ranting out of the dugout toss him. After that he is not allowed to do any coaching, so if he pulls his team from the field forfeit the game and go home.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Yes, that would be my reaction. If he comes out of the dugout yelling and screaming, he's gone. I had a HS coach do the pull the team thing, he was trailing 23-0 at the time.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Yes, that would be my reaction. If he comes out of the dugout yelling and screaming, he's gone. I had a HS coach do the pull the team thing, he was trailing 23-0 at the time.
It's a bright coaching move: draw more attention to how horsesh!t you and your team are.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and the coach was an ex major league player!! I ran him and he said, "Do you know who I am", and I said, "ya, the guy walkin to the bus!!"...

-----------------------