The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6
I think the stuff minor league umpires said about Ria was slander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
And the facts you have to back up this statement are?

Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 02:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I think the stuff minor league umpires said about Ria was slander.
Quote:
And the facts you have to back up this statement are?
Why does he need facts to back up what he thinks about a subject? He did not one time say that what the minor league umpires said about Ria was slander. Who appointed you Thought Policeman?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

No matter how it was "PERCEIVED", Mr. Mouth was sent home. The 1B umpire stood his ground, threw out the coach and then let him vent. But, in the end Mr. Mouth was gone, regardless of what all the armchair experts thought.

Show this video enough times and you will get enough different expert opinions to startup a national poll.

CC6, you start a thread about "Treatment of female umpire in Minor League", show a video about how another umpire she worked with handles a hot head, (because not knowing what took place or what was said there, she did what she should have), talk about slander against her and havn't backed up any of your claims yet.

So I have to ask, was it just a slow day up in the North Country or do you really need the attention? Give us the details of how she was treated and what the League did that was so wrong.

Last edited by jicecone; Wed Nov 04, 2009 at 08:50am.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

I believe it would be libel and not slander.

Also "truth" is the valid defense of libel. The umpire in question not only had sex with players but also with other umpires. She did not deny it when confronted.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Also "truth" is the valid defense of libel. The umpire in question not only had sex with players but also with other umpires. She did not deny it when confronted.
Slander: Spoken

Libel: Written

So, it depends on exactly what remarkas were being referred to.

In any event, Ria must be aware of them (even before the book was published I had heard about them), so apparently she doesn't think it's worth pursuing.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We care far too much as a society about the sex that other people are having or are trying to have. And we are going backward, rather than forward. It's become an absurdity. We're laughingstocks in Europe and South America for letting this 19th-century mindset about sexuality have such a prominent voice in our national debate. I recall when a couple of female Bay Area sports reporters were seducing numerous Giants, A's and Warriors players in the late-'80s-early-'90s era (one of them wrote a book detailing some of it). It was of little consequence, because all they were doing was reporting on sports, which is mostly frivolity when compared to true journalism.

But there are certain environments in which a sexual affair could cause a serious conflict, and an umpire crossing the line with a player is certainly one of them that is high up the list. (I would say No. 1 is jetliner pilot and co-pilot in flight.) Of all the men in the world, she has to go at it with a player?! She should get booted for that alone.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Exactly.

These were not just "rumors" as cc6 claims and others support. Facts were presented and not refuted.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Why does he need facts to back up what he thinks about a subject? He did not one time say that what the minor league umpires said about Ria was slander. Who appointed you Thought Policeman?
Calm down and be rational.

The use of "I think" prior to accusation does not diminish the accusation...especially false accusations. I know that it is a tool used by many, but that doesn't make it right.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:28pm

Quote:
Calm down and be rational.

The use of "I think" prior to accusation does not diminish the accusation...especially false accusations. I know that it is a tool used by many, but that doesn't make it right.
I am neither un-calm nor irrational, and I resent the implication to the contrary. I'm just saying he was stating an opinion, not presenting his claim as fact. I think Ria got the short end of the stick myself, which is why she should have come to me in the first place.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmm .....

A minor league umpire having sex is note worthy????????????
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:34pm

Larry, clear out some of your PM's so I can send you one!
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Hmmmmm .....

A minor league umpire having sex is note worthy????????????
A minor league umpire having sex with players is noteworthy.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Accoring to Bruce's book, not only did he ask her if she had slept with players , she denied it, as well as sleeping with her partners. Way back when, I had long hair, beyond the middle of my back. I also ran a 4:20 mile. An individual who knew NOTHING about me accused me of habitually and routinely smoking dope and taking speed. I laughed and walked away. Simply because I didn't deny it, I was perceived to be a "stoner". I ran anywhere from 70 to a 100 miles a week. But I'm sure he felt better about himself to believe I did.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A minor league umpire having sex with players is noteworthy.
Ok, explain to me why, and while you are at it, explain to me how a male MiL Umpire having sex with club personel is different, and why people don't write/talk about that more? Or a gay ump hooking up with someone from a team.

It is none of our damn bussiness who sleeps with who as long as the job gets done.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It is none of our damn bussiness who sleeps with who as long as the job gets done.
Exactly what kind of a "job" are you referring to?