View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I believe it would be libel and not slander.

Also "truth" is the valid defense of libel. The umpire in question not only had sex with players but also with other umpires. She did not deny it when confronted.
We care far too much as a society about the sex that other people are having or are trying to have. And we are going backward, rather than forward. It's become an absurdity. We're laughingstocks in Europe and South America for letting this 19th-century mindset about sexuality have such a prominent voice in our national debate. I recall when a couple of female Bay Area sports reporters were seducing numerous Giants, A's and Warriors players in the late-'80s-early-'90s era (one of them wrote a book detailing some of it). It was of little consequence, because all they were doing was reporting on sports, which is mostly frivolity when compared to true journalism.

But there are certain environments in which a sexual affair could cause a serious conflict, and an umpire crossing the line with a player is certainly one of them that is high up the list. (I would say No. 1 is jetliner pilot and co-pilot in flight.) Of all the men in the world, she has to go at it with a player?! She should get booted for that alone.