The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sorry.

I don't like the ignore lists, cause you know the person posted. I'd rather the board software eliminated any trace -- then I'd probably use them more.
The problem with ignoring is if someone posts something you know to be wrong. Then, if you don't know about it, you can't correct it. As much as some would like to ignore others, I think it leads to other problems. And, is an indirect way of letting myths perpetuate.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Steve, I agree you were justified in being ticked off!! The only time as the PU I will interject myself on a partner's safe/out judgement call is if they call a runner out and they can't see the ball is on the ground.

I don't think I would have even hanging around with this dufus in the parking lot, just jump in the jaloppie and boogie.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
The only time as the PU I will interject myself on a partner's safe/out judgement call is if they call a runner out and they can't see the ball is on the ground.
What's so special about that?

What's the difference between that and an out call when the runner beat it by three steps?

If your partner blows one, and needs help, he can come to you.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, if your partner, either by statement or by implication, conveyed what he did as an acceptable practice in either the minors or NCAA baseball, he is lying.

If red-lining partners is allowed where you are, get your pen out.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I originally posted this on the "other forum," but I decided to give you guys a shot to sink your teeth into this:

I have finally quit seething over this enough to talk about it here:

F1: No, really he wants to help.
Steve IMO, the aforementioned statement by F1 IF TRUE is a bigger issue.

Did your partner give F1 "some expression" , etc. indicating that you got the call wrong and is waiting for you to ask for help.

If INDEED the PU gave some indication to F1 that you blew the call and he was ready for you to ask for help, then IMO that's a far bigger problem then simply over-turning your call which is wrong all by it's lonesome.

FWIW I am getting sick and tired of this "get the call right at all cost" mentality because the FACT is we will NOT get every call right. It's part of life. Also, whose to say that your partner got the call right. Suppose you ruled safe because in your judgement, F5 pushed the runner off the base and the PU didn't see that part of the play etc. There could be a zillion reasons why you ruled the runner safe. The bottom line IT'S YOUR CALL PERIOD.

NO umpire has the right to over-turn a judgement call without you FIRST requesting assistance otherwise the game will become CHAOS.

I realize it's the "olden days" but IMO Carl's Fab V (back in the day) when a call can be changed should be the motto but unfortunately it is not.

FWIW here's Carl's list

Quote:
The FAB 5 (When calls may be legally changed)

1. Half swing called a ball changed to strike. (OBR 9.02c CMTs 1, 2, 3)

2. Two umpires make opposite calls on the same play. (common sense: only one can be accepted)

3. An umpire misapplies a rule. (9.02b/c)

4. Home run changed to double, vice versa; fair to foul, vice versa on balls hit out of the park. (professional practice)

5. "Out" called on a tag play, but the ball falls free, and another umpire observes it. (JEA 9:15-16)

The Terrible Three (Three times a call CANNOT be legally changed after it's made)

1. Swipe tag
2. Force play (or play on BR at first)
3. Fielder on/off the bag

ANY call can be corrected:

Carl: "He's out!" Then, immediately: "No, no, no. Safe! The runner is safe!!" That's bad timing -- but it's legal.
I would also scratch this guy from future assignments

Pete Booth

Last edited by PeteBooth; Tue Oct 27, 2009 at 03:37pm.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 04:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES-2 View Post
In Steve's case.. probually $65 cash on the field tax free. Still in this economy.. not bad for 3 hours work...I HOPE it wasnt more that 3 hours! :-)
$75, but who's counting?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 05:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Did your partner give F1 "some expression" , etc. indicating that you got the call wrong and is waiting for you to ask for help.

If INDEED the PU gave some indication to F1 that you blew the call and he was ready for you to ask for help, then IMO that's a far bigger problem then simply over-turning your call which is wrong all by it's lonesome.
Exactly, I think that while I was talking to F5, F1 was watching my "partner" come walking out toward the discussion, when my "partner" should have been tending his little garden by home plate waiting for an invitation. This IS the part of it that infuriates me more than just saying, "well we're going to get the call right." The very first thing I told him when he got to my position uninvited was that I wasn't asking for his help. I couldn't have been clearer.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly, I think that while I was talking to F5, F1 was watching my "partner" come walking out toward the discussion, when my "partner" should have been tending his little garden by home plate waiting for an invitation. This IS the part of it that infuriates me more than just saying, "well we're going to get the call right." The very first thing I told him when he got to my position uninvited was that I wasn't asking for his help. I couldn't have been clearer.
Might have been fun, after he told the runner he was out, to say: "No, you're safe, stay right there!"

You know, just to see what would happen.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Might have been fun, after he told the runner he was out, to say: "No, you're safe, stay right there!"

You know, just to see what would happen.
My "partner" (for lack of a better word, a word which I can't say on this forum ) has been in this adult association for a long time, I just finished my 6th week. I wanted to do this, but I think I would have looked like the bad guy if I hadn't just bit the bullet on this one. I won't have to worry about it happening again with this guy, because I won't be working with him in the future.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My "partner" (for lack of a better word, a word which I can't say on this forum ) has been in this adult association for a long time, I just finished my 6th week. I wanted to do this, but I think I would have looked like the bad guy if I hadn't just bit the bullet on this one. I won't have to worry about it happening again with this guy, because I won't be working with him in the future.
Steve....I would be willing to bet that after you've been involved with this association longer you'll findout (without ever asking another member directly) that this "partner" has pulled this kind of crab with other umpires that he has worked with.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I had a funny thought. Would suit him right if on the very next call on BR at 1B you just stand there, look at him and say "what you got hoss?".

I would not want to work with him again and would let assignor know what happened. In my association the word on him would spread quickly.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I had a funny thought. Would suit him right if on the very next call on BR at 1B you just stand there, look at him and say "what you got hoss?".

I would not want to work with him again and would let assignor know what happened. In my association the word on him would spread quickly.
Obsurd, but equally funny............
On next pitch when PU says "strike" come out firing with "No No No - That was a bit low - Ball !!"
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What's so special about that?

What's the difference between that and an out call when the runner beat it by three steps?

If your partner blows one, and needs help, he can come to you.
Matt, refer to Pete Booths post on Carls Fab 5. I was speaking of when I would step in an provide input without being asked for help.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
On next pitch when PU says "strike" come out firing with "No No No - That was a bit low - Ball !!"
Yup, thought about doing that too.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Yes, that's my famous..."BALLLLRIKKKE" call.

-----------------------