View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I originally posted this on the "other forum," but I decided to give you guys a shot to sink your teeth into this:

I have finally quit seething over this enough to talk about it here:

F1: No, really he wants to help.
Steve IMO, the aforementioned statement by F1 IF TRUE is a bigger issue.

Did your partner give F1 "some expression" , etc. indicating that you got the call wrong and is waiting for you to ask for help.

If INDEED the PU gave some indication to F1 that you blew the call and he was ready for you to ask for help, then IMO that's a far bigger problem then simply over-turning your call which is wrong all by it's lonesome.

FWIW I am getting sick and tired of this "get the call right at all cost" mentality because the FACT is we will NOT get every call right. It's part of life. Also, whose to say that your partner got the call right. Suppose you ruled safe because in your judgement, F5 pushed the runner off the base and the PU didn't see that part of the play etc. There could be a zillion reasons why you ruled the runner safe. The bottom line IT'S YOUR CALL PERIOD.

NO umpire has the right to over-turn a judgement call without you FIRST requesting assistance otherwise the game will become CHAOS.

I realize it's the "olden days" but IMO Carl's Fab V (back in the day) when a call can be changed should be the motto but unfortunately it is not.

FWIW here's Carl's list

Quote:
The FAB 5 (When calls may be legally changed)

1. Half swing called a ball changed to strike. (OBR 9.02c CMTs 1, 2, 3)

2. Two umpires make opposite calls on the same play. (common sense: only one can be accepted)

3. An umpire misapplies a rule. (9.02b/c)

4. Home run changed to double, vice versa; fair to foul, vice versa on balls hit out of the park. (professional practice)

5. "Out" called on a tag play, but the ball falls free, and another umpire observes it. (JEA 9:15-16)

The Terrible Three (Three times a call CANNOT be legally changed after it's made)

1. Swipe tag
2. Force play (or play on BR at first)
3. Fielder on/off the bag

ANY call can be corrected:

Carl: "He's out!" Then, immediately: "No, no, no. Safe! The runner is safe!!" That's bad timing -- but it's legal.
I would also scratch this guy from future assignments

Pete Booth

Last edited by PeteBooth; Tue Oct 27, 2009 at 03:37pm.