The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 05:31pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
McCarver

I wish he would "get his head out."

Wow, that Bill Miller is a regular Chatty Cathy back there!
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Glen Burnie, Md
Posts: 371
Annoying!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newburgh NY
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I wish he would "get his head out."

Wow, that Bill Miller is a regular Chatty Cathy back there!
Steve FWIW I enjoyed it when Steve Palermo (IMO, one if not the best umpires ever to wear a uniform) was a commentator for FOX.

There was a controversial OBS call (can't remember off the top of my head) in which OBS was called but the runner rounded 3rd base and then was subsequently thrown out. The out call stood and Steve Palermo who was then with FOX gave an EXCELLENT explanation as to why the out call stood.

I do not know what happend but Palermo was only on that one year or so.

Now unfortunately we are left with the McCarver's of the world. Harold Reynolds when he was color commentator was pretty good with the rules. At least he took the time to look them up first.

Pete Booth
__________________
Peter M. Booth
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
That won't work for McCarver, because he can't read.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 611
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Steve FWIW I enjoyed it when Steve Palermo (IMO, one if not the best umpires ever to wear a uniform) was a commentator for FOX.

There was a controversial OBS call (can't remember off the top of my head) in which OBS was called but the runner rounded 3rd base and then was subsequently thrown out. The out call stood and Steve Palermo who was then with FOX gave an EXCELLENT explanation as to why the out call stood.

I do not know what happend but Palermo was only on that one year or so.

Now unfortunately we are left with the McCarver's of the world. Harold Reynolds when he was color commentator was pretty good with the rules. At least he took the time to look them up first.

Pete Booth
Reynolds said on Baseball Tonight that "the hands are part of the bat". I don't believe he looked that up first. He's # 3 behind McCarver and Joe Morgan.
__________________
All generalizations are bad. - R.H. Grenier
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lisle, IL.
Posts: 1,606


I'm still trying to figure out how, in game 3 of this series when the DH Hairston went to left field to replace Damon, thereby terminating the DH role, "the pitcher automatically takes the DH's place in the order."

So does Hairston and the new pitcher share an at-bat?

Must be a rule change I wasn't aware of.

Last edited by UMP25; Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 11:06pm. Reason: To emphasize sarcasm that seems to have bypassed someone.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chasing the dream
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how, in game 3 of this series when the DH Hairston went to left field to replace Damon, thereby terminating the DH role, "the pitcher automatically takes the DH's place in the order."

So does Hairston and the new pitcher share an at-bat?

Must be a rule change I wasn't aware of.
Get the FED rule out of your head, then read the pro rule again.

6.10 (b) The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.

Last edited by Ump153; Tue Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03pm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Get the FED rule out of your head, then read the pro rule again.

6.10 (b) The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.
You are, I think, missing Ump25's point.

He's repeating what McCarver said ("the pitcher must bat in the DH's spot") and sarcasticly asking, "Is this a rules change?" to make the point that McCarver messed it up.

I'll only add that the volume level on my TV, at least, goes down as well as up.

Of course, I've been home and awake only enough to see about 4 innings total of the playoffs.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N.KY
Posts: 87
McCarver....Mess up?????

McCarver is messed up! Every time he opens his mouth to hear himself speak, he is guessing and predicting what a pitcher will throw, where a batter should hit the ball, or who should start a double play. There are a dozen other people better that him, but every year we have to listen to his stupid predictions.
Just call the game as it happens and quit telling every one what you think should happen.
Yankees vs Phillies?
__________________
UMP64

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have finally agreed with McCarver aceholleran Baseball 18 Tue Aug 11, 2009 08:00pm
Tim McCarver classic Jay R Baseball 3 Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:41pm
The Official Tim McCarver Intelligence Thread UMP25 Baseball 69 Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:29pm
Buck and McCarver SanDiegoSteve Baseball 16 Thu Oct 27, 2005 08:48am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1