The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   McCarver (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55071-mccarver.html)

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:31pm

McCarver

I wish he would "get his head out.":)

Wow, that Bill Miller is a regular Chatty Cathy back there!:D

JR12 Mon Oct 19, 2009 06:36pm

Annoying!!!

PeteBooth Mon Oct 19, 2009 06:50pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 631715)
I wish he would "get his head out.":)

Wow, that Bill Miller is a regular Chatty Cathy back there!:D

Steve FWIW I enjoyed it when Steve Palermo (IMO, one if not the best umpires ever to wear a uniform) was a commentator for FOX.

There was a controversial OBS call (can't remember off the top of my head) in which OBS was called but the runner rounded 3rd base and then was subsequently thrown out. The out call stood and Steve Palermo who was then with FOX gave an EXCELLENT explanation as to why the out call stood.

I do not know what happend but Palermo was only on that one year or so.

Now unfortunately we are left with the McCarver's of the world. Harold Reynolds when he was color commentator was pretty good with the rules. At least he took the time to look them up first.

Pete Booth

Kevin Finnerty Mon Oct 19, 2009 08:06pm

That won't work for McCarver, because he can't read.

umpduck11 Mon Oct 19, 2009 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 631724)
Steve FWIW I enjoyed it when Steve Palermo (IMO, one if not the best umpires ever to wear a uniform) was a commentator for FOX.

There was a controversial OBS call (can't remember off the top of my head) in which OBS was called but the runner rounded 3rd base and then was subsequently thrown out. The out call stood and Steve Palermo who was then with FOX gave an EXCELLENT explanation as to why the out call stood.

I do not know what happend but Palermo was only on that one year or so.

Now unfortunately we are left with the McCarver's of the world. Harold Reynolds when he was color commentator was pretty good with the rules. At least he took the time to look them up first.

Pete Booth

Reynolds said on Baseball Tonight that "the hands are part of the bat". I don't believe he looked that up first. He's # 3 behind McCarver and Joe Morgan.

UMP25 Tue Oct 20, 2009 09:09pm

:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out how, in game 3 of this series when the DH Hairston went to left field to replace Damon, thereby terminating the DH role, "the pitcher automatically takes the DH's place in the order."

So does Hairston and the new pitcher share an at-bat?

Must be a rule change I wasn't aware of.

Ump153 Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 631934)
I'm still trying to figure out how, in game 3 of this series when the DH Hairston went to left field to replace Damon, thereby terminating the DH role, "the pitcher automatically takes the DH's place in the order."

So does Hairston and the new pitcher share an at-bat?

Must be a rule change I wasn't aware of.

Get the FED rule out of your head, then read the pro rule again.

6.10 (b) The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 21, 2009 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 631971)
Get the FED rule out of your head, then read the pro rule again.

6.10 (b) The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order.

You are, I think, missing Ump25's point.

He's repeating what McCarver said ("the pitcher must bat in the DH's spot") and sarcasticly asking, "Is this a rules change?" to make the point that McCarver messed it up.

I'll only add that the volume level on my TV, at least, goes down as well as up.

Of course, I've been home and awake only enough to see about 4 innings total of the playoffs.

UMP 64 Wed Oct 21, 2009 08:52am

McCarver....Mess up?????

:confused:McCarver is messed up! Every time he opens his mouth to hear himself speak, he is guessing and predicting what a pitcher will throw, where a batter should hit the ball, or who should start a double play. There are a dozen other people better that him, but every year we have to listen to his stupid predictions.
Just call the game as it happens and quit telling every one what you think should happen.
Yankees vs Phillies? :D