The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Should I have intervened

The post about batters interference reminded me of a situation that I wanted some feedback on.

Jr Legion game.
I am BU in the C position and I see the batter definitely thrust his elbow out into a high inside pitch. No doubt in my mind. The batter drops his bat and trots down to first. My partner did not say anything (maybe he was blocked by the catcher) so I stroll in and have a private conference with my partner. I tell him the batter intentionally moved into the pitch to get hit and should not be awarded first. He says he did not see it but if I did, we would bring the kid back to the plate. I gave the info I had and he made the call.

My question is; Should I have said anything since I wasn't asked or do you guys feel this is similar to a batted ball which hits the batter that we kill when we see it?

This did result in the ejection of the Head coach of the offensive team but that's another story.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Properly speaking, this is PU's call all the way.

If my partner were a rookie and it was low-level ball, I might say something between innings.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Should I have intervened

Agree with mbyron. PU's call all the way and if he doesn't ask, don't go digging for boogers. If if the DHC asks you, tell the DHC he/she should talk to the PU.
If you tell the DHC to talk to the PU, watch your words, tone of voice, and body language so as not to throw the PU under the bus.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, wait for your partner to ask.

I was once in the "C" position and it was an inside pitch that everyone in the park saw the batter turn on and get plunked in the back except my partner. He finnally asked if the batter got hit and I replied yes. Othewrwise it was his call and sometimes that is the way it is.

By the same token, I have worked with partners that will never ask for any help, so sometimes you just shutup and let them learn how to swim alone. But I would let them know back at the car what I saw.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. At the time I just couldn't bear to let this little twerp get away with cheating.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Should I have asked.

I had a similar situation with a player mgr 2 seasons ago. He asked me if I saw the batter stick his elbow in. The game was already 2 hrs / 20 minutes, the temperature was just above freezing. I just looked at him and folded my arms, and walked away from him. I guess he took that as a yes, and he walked over to the PU, & during his argument, he indicated that I said that I saw the batter do this. PU calls me over and asked me if I said anything. I said no. PU said to me, watch this. PU goes back to the PM, and called him a fabricator for saying that I told him. The PM said, that I was the liar. PU tossed him. It was hilarious watching the PM tossing his hat, glove, batting glove. It took 2 of his players to cart him off. His behavior has been perfect since. Fabricator. Good word, especially in a long cold one.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
You noticed the HBP, hopefully you immediately killed play, then you saw your partner award 1b, now move to your next position.

You have no role, unsolicted, regarding the batters "intent".

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
Thanks for the replies. At the time I just couldn't bear to let this little twerp get away with cheating.
Cheating? What rule did he break?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Spoken like a true rat.............

Tim.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:07pm

Quote:
In OBR it's not officially considered "cheating."

In FED, rule 7-3-4 states that "a batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him." That is saying directly that it is cheating.

6.08(b)(2) doesn't come right out and call it cheating, but only players or coaches would not consider it a form of cheating trying to get a base on balls by intentionally allowing the pitch to hit them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
In OBR it's not officially considered "cheating."

In FED, rule 7-3-4 states that "a batter shall not permit a pitched ball to touch him." That is saying directly that it is cheating.

6.08(b)(2) doesn't come right out and call it cheating, but only players or coaches would not consider it a form of cheating trying to get a base on balls by intentionally allowing the pitch to hit them.
And in the OP, the batter didn't just let it hit him, he moved into the pitch.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone on the field has a job to do, and it was the defensive manager's job to go to the PU as ask him to get help from you. The manager failed in his duties. The offensive manager knew the proper procedure, and rightfully got upset about it. (Now you shouldn't get so flipped out that you earn an EJ, but he did have a point.)

Bottom line: Follow the proper procedures.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Exactly. The participants (both teams) don't think it's cheating.

The rule doesn't make it cheating. It says you can't go to 1B if you don't try to get out of the way. Nothing requires you to get out of the way - just a penalty if you fail to do so. Might be cheating with the FED rule but not in OBR.

Umpire's call.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
You wait for the PU to come to you for help. He must come to you for help. You give him what you have, and then he is the one who would overturn the call. You also need to discuss at that point how you are going to handle the sh--house that is coming
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 05:53pm

Quote:
Exactly. The participants (both teams) don't think it's cheating.

The rule doesn't make it cheating. It says you can't go to 1B if you don't try to get out of the way. Nothing requires you to get out of the way - just a penalty if you fail to do so. Might be cheating with the FED rule but not in OBR.

Umpire's call.
It still is cheating, it's just not spelled out in so many words!

Okay, we'll do the PC thing and use a euphemism: "The batter was only trying to gain an unfair advantage over the defense."

I feel so liberated now!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25