The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Exactly. The participants (both teams) don't think it's cheating.

The rule doesn't make it cheating. It says you can't go to 1B if you don't try to get out of the way. Nothing requires you to get out of the way - just a penalty if you fail to do so. Might be cheating with the FED rule but not in OBR.
Now that's setting a high standard. As long as the coaches and players don't think it's cheating, it's not cheating.

Seriously...the batter didn't just let the ball hit him, he moved into the pitch.

Last edited by Ump153; Thu Oct 08, 2009 at 06:41pm.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting discussion. What is a rule violation vs. cheating? Are some things considered cheating not covered by rules? And do we care, since we are there to rule on rules? Example, after an offensive TO R1 and R2 exchange places, likely because R1 is faster than R2 if team is cheating, or it could be a mistake.

Another example, R2, defense executes "Miami play", some would consider cheating, but it is not against the rules so is allowed.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:23pm
Veteran College Umpire

In Pro ball, if a player moves into a pitch to get hit (and gain the subsequent advantage of being awarded first base), odds are he won't have to repeat his behavior because the pitcher will gladly oblige him the first chance he gets. At 90+ mph.

JJ
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Pro ball is one thing but the amateur guys are encouraged to "take one for the team" from the time they first start to play. Every time it's close some idiot in the stands will yell that. It usually the same idiot that yells "take him out" on a double play ball.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
It still is cheating, it's just not spelled out in so many words!

Okay, we'll do the PC thing and use a euphemism: "The batter was only trying to gain an unfair advantage over the defense."

I feel so liberated now!
Just like a hidden ball trick.

Or maybe a deke that keeps a runner from going first to third.

Glad to hear you never drive over the limit.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Just like a hidden ball trick.

Or maybe a deke that keeps a runner from going first to third.

Glad to hear you never drive over the limit.
When I drive fast, I am not gaining an unfair advantage over an opponent. I'm merely getting somewhere quicker.

The hidden ball trick is designed to fool the opponent. Letting a pitch hit you is designed to fool the umpire. That's where I come in. My name is Friday. I carry a badge. Dum-da-dum-dum...dum-da-dum-dum-dum!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I drive fast, I am not gaining an unfair advantage over an opponent. I'm merely getting somewhere quicker.

The hidden ball trick is designed to fool the opponent. Letting a pitch hit you is designed to fool the umpire. That's where I come in. My name is Friday. I carry a badge. Dum-da-dum-dum...dum-da-dum-dum-dum!
Well Joe, you'll need to give yourself a speeding ticket then. Can't have a double standard on enforcement can we now?
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 09:19am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:

Now THAT'S funny...

JJ
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Thank you

A gold star poster award for discussing the protocol. The original poster

My partner did not say anything (maybe he was blocked by the catcher) so I stroll in and have a private conference with my partner.

set off the AOOOGA alarm. Enough people have said this is wrong, and I hope he got the message.

As you said there is a METHOD. PU did see the HBP. If Def coach feels wronged. He comes out. Talks to PU... PU at his option, talks to BU... that's the way. Or at least some people do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Everyone on the field has a job to do, and it was the defensive manager's job to go to the PU as ask him to get help from you. The manager failed in his duties. The offensive manager knew the proper procedure, and rightfully got upset about it. (Now you shouldn't get so flipped out that you earn an EJ, but he did have a point.)

Bottom line: Follow the proper procedures.