The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Dodgers v. Reds - Dead ball missed

Tonight's game between the Reds and Dodgers had an interesting play. Top 9, Reds lead 4-1. Dodgers at bat, bases loaded, 2 outs, count is 2-2. B1 swings at the pitch. The pitched ball strikes him in the shin and ricochets to the backstop. Third strike, not caught with 2 outs, the runners all advance and the umpires allow this. Bases are again loaded, now the score is 4-2. What am I missing? A ball that strikes a batter, even if it is a strike, is immediately dead. In the case of strike 3 not caught, the batter is out and cannot advance to first as the ball is dead. Am I correct in stating that the wrong ruling was made on the field? Thanks all.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:24am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinmatt View Post
Tonight's game between the Reds and Dodgers had an interesting play. Top 9, Reds lead 4-1. Dodgers at bat, bases loaded, 2 outs, count is 2-2. B1 swings at the pitch. The pitched ball strikes him in the shin and ricochets to the backstop. Third strike, not caught with 2 outs, the runners all advance and the umpires allow this. Bases are again loaded, now the score is 4-2. What am I missing? A ball that strikes a batter, even if it is a strike, is immediately dead. In the case of strike 3 not caught, the batter is out and cannot advance to first as the ball is dead. Am I correct in stating that the wrong ruling was made on the field? Thanks all.
Yes, if that's what happened the ball is dead, the batter is out, and the game is over.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 05:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Video here:

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/...46125_400K.mp4
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

If the plate umpire gets totally blocked out, which he did when the catcher moved over, and the base umpires cannot tell whether he was hit in the foot either, you just get away with it. If the catcher would just squat down in the middle of the plate and stay there like he was in the beginning, the plate umpire might have been able to see the ball hit the back foot and not assume it hit the ground for the wild pitch.
Also, just like a high and tight pitch that the catcher completely misses that just ticks his glove, why did the catcher go running after the ball if it hit the player rather than the ground, if you want to go by player reactions.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

The thing that I find strange is that both announcers seemed to be unaware of the rule!
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
why did the catcher go running after the ball if it hit the player rather than the ground, if you want to go by player reactions.
You play until the ump calls time.

You play until the ump calls foul.

You don't head back to the dugout until the ump calls you out.

If you assume, you'll get burned.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I saw it on SC and didn't actually believe that they didn't kill it, just chalked it up to an out of context clip and a less than explanatory anchor. Guess this confirms it.

As PU, I'm sensing something is up when the ball so violently ricochets like that. There is also a sound that comes with a catcher blocking the ball... why didn't I hear it?

And as U3 or U1, there is no freaking way that I'm not seeing it. This wasn't a nick of the toe, this was a direct hit and redirection... not alot of excuse for this IMO. If it happened during my game and I missed it as either PU or BU, I'd be pretty embarrassed.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

If you assume, you'll get burned.
Excellent advice.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
And as U3 or U1, there is no freaking way that I'm not seeing it.... If it happened during my game and I missed it as either PU or BU, I'd be pretty embarrassed.
So it is possible for you to miss this one on the bases or not?
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Listen, I think we all would like to say we would have gotten that one.

I am 100% confident that in 5 years of umpiring I have not missed a ball off the batters foot, whether it was fouled or a HBP. And I tend to realize in my head where something may have happened that I didn't get, whether it was a banger, a checked swing, whatever. I'm pretty criticial of my work.

Now, sometimes "it" happens. Its possible that "it" happened for 3 umpires all at once. In which case, I'd be pretty embarrassed after seeing the replays that we, as a crew, kicked one that bad.

That being said, I understand that on any given call its easy to say "I'm better than so-and-so" but I realize the full body of work is more important in evaluating officials, and completely understand that I have alot to learn.

I just wish I had a shot at being U1 in that play, cause I feel I would have gotten it.
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am 100% confident that in 5 years of umpiring I have not missed a ball off the batters foot, whether it was fouled or a HBP.
Keep working, its going to happen sooner or later especially with the way catchers move way over and pinch you off more than they use to or have to move over at the last moment like this one and you cannot compensate for that movement. If this never happens to you, you are living in the graces of the baseball Gods.

"I just wish I had a shot at being U1 in that play, cause I feel I would have gotten it".

I think U2 or U3 would have a better shot than U1.

Last edited by tballump; Sun Aug 30, 2009 at 04:50pm.
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 05:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Listen, I think we all would like to say we would have gotten that one.

I am 100% confident that in 5 years of umpiring I have not missed a ball off the batters foot, whether it was fouled or a HBP. And I tend to realize in my head where something may have happened that I didn't get, whether it was a banger, a checked swing, whatever. I'm pretty criticial of my work.

Now, sometimes "it" happens. Its possible that "it" happened for 3 umpires all at once. In which case, I'd be pretty embarrassed after seeing the replays that we, as a crew, kicked one that bad.

That being said, I understand that on any given call its easy to say "I'm better than so-and-so" but I realize the full body of work is more important in evaluating officials, and completely understand that I have alot to learn.

I just wish I had a shot at being U1 in that play, cause I feel I would have gotten it.
Good for you. Keep working. You'll get your chance.
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would have gladly taken Dusty's paycheck to question the umpire before play resumes. If the team manager doesn't want to bring a rule into question, then lets play ball.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Aug 30, 2009 at 05:31pm.
Old Sun Aug 30, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Watch it a couple more times and you will clearly see the batter turn and look at the PU who is pointing at him, while ball scoots away, which he no doubt deduced to mean the ump thought he swung, but did not see it hit him, since he would have had his hands up for that mechanic. So he did what any talented major leaguer would do, he took off running to 1b. And yes, he was totally blocked out from seeing that by the catcher going down for the ball.

Last edited by DG; Sun Aug 30, 2009 at 10:06pm.
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Tuss
You haven't missed one if five years?
In most cases if you "missed it" how would you know?
If you don't see it, it is very dificult to know you didn't see it.