Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Sense of Humor - Thanks Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Translation: What Ozzy said was funny as hell. After laughing, I cleared my throat, thus the AHEM.

Then, to address the original topic, I wrote what I wrote. Sorry the term "Job description" was too literal for you, and sorry that it seemed that I was in conflict with Ozzy.

SHEESH!
You guys are great...needed a laugh today, stressful at work and some family stuff going on...I did not want to LOL so I put an LQ in there in case I embarrassed myself again. You have to learn to laugh at yourself and not to take all this stuff seriously unless we are referring to actual rules help.. Steve, great comment...I did not know that nor can I even think that quick anymore, "seperate keys for the batter's box." I guess I know I am in trouble these days when my partner tells me at the pre-game meeting as I struggle to read my notes that I have my glasses on backwards and my ball bag is on the wrong side. With my Navy and Merchant Marine background I should know how to play and take pratical jokes. I believe the military and frat orgs are the experts. For new personnel on board ship, their first assignment was to send themo down to the engine room, usually about 6 stories (decks) down and get a bucket of steam, bring it top side and don't spill any. They would usually get down to the 4th deck and realize they had been punked!

Y'all have a great day and thanks for all your comments. We all have developed some techniques to improve the flow of the game and manage the game a little better, and even if it does not state in the rules to get the ball back in play timely, we all want to enhance the game. I like Steve, used to be able to throw well but now I can not trust myself. I will assist the catcher at times but just can not toss real well. Anyway, enough with this post.

I heard a preacher one time state these words after he lost his train of thought during a sermon and I kinda picked up on it now when I have some brain fog or when the situation gets confusing..."Just do what ya do Lord, just do what ya do"! I just have to avoid saying this when calling a bang bang play.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Translation: What Ozzy said was funny as hell. After laughing, I cleared my throat, thus the AHEM.

Then, to address the original topic, I wrote what I wrote. Sorry the term "Job description" was too literal for you, and sorry that it seemed that I was in conflict with Ozzy.

SHEESH!

SHEESH!

Lighten up Kevin.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ozzy ...

Ahem ...

It is in the umpire's job description to get a ball to the pitcher as soon as possible. If throwing it himself can accomplish this, and he's willing and capable, he can and should do it if he's so inclined.

And the liability question could possibly be a concern with a Little Leaguer with a lawyer dad, but come on ... a geezer throwing a ball to an accomplished athlete is not dangerous.

If you can throw a ball 60 feet with 99 percent accuracy, and look like a non-girl when you do it, then throw the ball back to save time if you want to. If you throw like a girl, or you make the pitcher reach too much, give it to the catcher. No big deal.
I can't throw worth a crap anymore so I haven't for the last 20 years. But I can replace an out of play ball within 5 seconds by handing it to the catcher (I let him throw it back). How's that for ya?

But beside all of that this is still a boring thread!
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I like Steve, used to be able to throw well but now I can not trust myself. I will assist the catcher at times but just can not toss real well.
Actually I can still throw a seed back at the pitcher, it's just once in awhile it gets away, usually due to my chest protector, and for an umpire, that is once too many.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post

But beside all of that this is still a boring thread!
Most of them are, but we take what we can get!
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Foul ball that F2 gives chase, I open gate and go with him. We end up 20 feet away from each other, F1 standing around the plate area.

I'm flipping it to F1.

Ball to the backstop during warmups, I'm flipping to F1 from the foul line. I'm not going to flip 30 feet one way so F2 can throw it 60 feet another.

If F2 is in front of me, I'm handing. He wants to keep his guy in a rhythm. I could keep him in one if I wanted to, my arm is pretty good, but that's his job, not mine.

As for the athleticism Tim pointed out, I didn't know that history. These days, I'll prove that athleticism by getting to the 45 foot line on a ground ball when the fat @$$ catcher never moves a muscle from behind the plate
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 05:20pm
Administrator

If the PU wants to throw the ball back to the F1, then he can if he wants, but I do not even throw the ball back to the F1 in a girls' H.S. fastpitch softball game for fear of having the ball take two or three bounces before it gets to the circle. Throwing the ball back to the F1 is just one of the duties of the F2.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 05:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Foul ball that F2 gives chase, I open gate and go with him. We end up 20 feet away from each other, F1 standing around the plate area.

I'm flipping it to F1.
I don't understand (1) why F2 is chasing a foul, (2) why you need to open the gate, (3) why you end up 20 feet from each other, and (4) why on earth F1 is standing around the plate area. Could you explain why all of these things are happening without baserunners?
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
I'm in agreement with most here. I can throw back and will when F2 is busy.

However I don't do it all the time, by choice, because
a) a colleague broke the nose of an F1; was sued for $2m, insurance settled for 800 large. Maybe I am covered, but that is at the minimum a hassle I want to avoid (experienced PU to DII pitcher, yup it happens).
b) coaches yell at F2 when he throws a bad one; on occasion I have thrown a bad one, they yell at me too. Don't want to give them that chance.

On the other hand another PU colleague who had pitched in MiLB threw them back at (adult) pitchers who complained about balls & strikes. Threw it hard at their feet to make 'em dance!

Your colleague had a $hitty lawyer.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I don't understand (1) why F2 is chasing a foul, (2) why you need to open the gate, (3) why you end up 20 feet from each other, and (4) why on earth F1 is standing around the plate area. Could you explain why all of these things are happening without baserunners?
I assume he means a foul fly that ends up not caught.

I follow the same general guidelines as tussagee. I'll also throw it back if F2 takes a ball off the body and needs a minute.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Its simpler than you realize!

1) The ball was popped up behind the plate
2) Open the gate so catcher can chase the ball, track F2 as he runs back to the fence
3) 20 feet was just a reasonable guess, don't want to be too close for him making a potential play, don't want to give up the plate too much if there is an R3
4) On the foul ball behind the plate, pitchers traditionally head towards home or if the popup is off behind either dugouts they chase it as well. They rarely stand idly by on the mound, particularly if there is R3.

Make sense?

I assume that you assumed that we were discussing a direct foul shot to the screen, in which case I think we agree slap one in F2s hand and let someone else chase it down.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Its simpler than you realize!

1) The ball was popped up behind the plate
2) Open the gate so catcher can chase the ball, track F2 as he runs back to the fence
3) 20 feet was just a reasonable guess, don't want to be too close for him making a potential play, don't want to give up the plate too much if there is an R3
4) On the foul ball behind the plate, pitchers traditionally head towards home or if the popup is off behind either dugouts they chase it as well. They rarely stand idly by on the mound, particularly if there is R3.

Make sense?

I assume that you assumed that we were discussing a direct foul shot to the screen, in which case I think we agree slap one in F2s hand and let someone else chase it down.
Oh, additional information. Now I can "see" it in my feeble mind. Yes, I was picturing a passed ball or foul straight back with no runners.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

I almost started a thread about this the other day. Watching a Cubs game, PU, Gerry Davis I believe, fired one back to F1. Soto was right there and turned his head, said something through his mask to PU who leaned in and nodded. The next several times, PU handed F2 the ball. It got me wondering what other umpires do.

Me? I usually have one ready before F2 gets the hand or glove up. If F2 is up and away from me I throw it back. Sometimes in high school I seem to get an F2 that thinks it time for him to stand up and stretch. I used to catch and don't blame him one bit if that's what he wants to do. I step to the side and its an easy toss back to F1. I don't think it's my time to show off and fire a missile. Nothing to prove. Agreed with the other poster that I show my ability by hustling my fat *** to where I'm supposed to be.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
I was told the story in 2000. Not sure how much before that it occurred.
And, I don't feel the liberty to go with names. Sorry.
If it happened, it is public record....no need to worry about disclosing something is part of the public record......
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

Quote:
"If it happened . . . "
This is the critical issue. At least now I have some information: I know the state where it happened, about when it happened and the name of one of the people involved.

This time of year it is nearly impossible to get information from the NCAA but I am trying to find their record of this happening.

Last edited by Tim C; Wed Aug 19, 2009 at 04:15pm.
Closed Thread