View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

PU-Throwing Ball Back to Pitcher-Let the Players Play the Game

I have read posts before on PU throwing the ball back to the pitcher. Most PU's stated it helps speed up the game and keeps a flow to the game. Whether it does or doesn't depends on one's view point. I don’t think it does and if you think it does, it doesn’t generate much in saving time, etc. I tried it a few times and after that felt it best to leave it up to the catcher to throw the ball back. This is a pet peeve of mine and can not figure out why some umps insist on performing this act. I have witnessed in more than one situation where the PU beaned the pitcher, either by an errant throw by the ump or the pitcher not watching the ump. Why risk this? This past weekend, LL games, I saw some umps take two or three steps towards the pitcher, perform a crow hop and then gently tossed the ball to the pitcher. These guys looked ridiculous. Why risk embarrassing yourself, or risk a liability suit if you bean the kid and cause injury. Saw ML Ump throw the ball back to the pitcher while the F2 was still chasing down the live ball at the back stop on a dropped third strike. Now what? Just give the ball to the catcher and let him toss it back. That is why the catcher is there. I have witnessed umps, at all levels, fire the ball back to the pitcher, almost like a moment of going back in time, "Look at me I can still throw, yea I used to be a catcher or player, etc". What's the point here? What is that all about? That's not your job! Just give it to the catcher, take a breather, put your mask on and get ready for the next pitch. We talk about wannabe's in coaches and fans, I believe there are some of us wannabe's still trying to prove that we are just not umps but X players as well. Also, why risk injury? All it takes is one throw and you pull a muscle, tear a tendon and no more calling balls and strikes for awhile, unless you load up on pain meds. I think some umps need to "Just Get Over It!" and leave the ball playing to the ball players. In summary:
1. Why take the chance of a Liability Suit, injury to the pitcher... we all enjoy the game too much.
2. Embarrassement over missing the target - under or over throw.
3. Risk to injuring yourself.
4. Let the players play the game.

There I feel better!