Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
And you know this because? I would guess if it his is turn in the rotation to work the plate and his brother is pitching, he will be working the plate.

I would think his integrity would suffice in this case as it does in all the games that he calls.
It's also important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

I have heard the same thing about the Wolf brothers. I think it was discussed on the MLB "ask the umpire" site.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't want to face the 'wrath of Mom' when little/big brother complained about my zone LOL.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you know this because? I would guess if it his is turn in the rotation to work the plate and his brother is pitching, he will be working the plate.

I would think his integrity would suffice in this case as it does in all the games that he calls.
They're from this neighborhood, and I've known them both for years and watched them both come up to the bigs. So I know a little about them. Jim would not give Randy one inch.

And irrespective of rotation, Jim does not work games behind the plate when Randy pitches. So your guess is wrong, and it's really not anything you need to guess about, because it's common knowledge that he doesn't.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 06:32pm.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 08:50pm
In Time Out

people either get it or they don't

Haller, Wolf, whatever....

The good officials call them as they are.

They'd ring their own mother up on strikes.

The bad ones couldn't umpire a bake sale.

Simple as that.

If you get it, that's great.

If you don't, so be it.

Hock9
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Haller caught only 59 games that year behind Bill Freehan. Of the six Detroit games his brother worked that year--all at Detroit--Haller caught four of them. Bill Haller worked the bases in the first three of the six, a series in late May. Then, on July 14, Bill worked the plate and Tom caught all nine innings of a 1-0 loss.

Can you believe that? He had to have a nail-biter!

And the 2nd base umpire, Bill Kunkel, a former MLB pitcher, worked in a Spring Training game with his son Jeff who played shortstop for Texas in 1984.
Old Thu Aug 06, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
And the 2nd base umpire, Bill Kunkel, a former MLB pitcher, worked in a Spring Training game with his son Jeff who played shortstop for Texas in 1984.
Only in the sport of baseball could something so trivial and non-important actually be so interesting and remembered all these years.

Isn't baseball great? An article from Sunday's Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/sp...0trivia&st=cse
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Yes, and Haller and Neudecker would end up being supervisors and evaluators for a lot of the old AL MLBU up there right now, and of course Neudecker was the last to wear the balloon.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
They're from this neighborhood, and I've known them both for years and watched them both come up to the bigs. So I know a little about them. Jim would not give Randy one inch.

And irrespective of rotation, Jim does not work games behind the plate when Randy pitches. So your guess is wrong, and it's really not anything you need to guess about, because it's common knowledge that he doesn't.
You've been around long enough to realize that Tyler's challenge to SDS's statement has little to do with that actual substance of the statement and more to do with the fact the SDS said it.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Umped my son's game.

A few years ago at my son's game the umpire was a no-show. The parents on the my son's team and the opposing coach all knew I umpired and asked me to step up to the plate. I had my gear in my truck so I obliged. Game went well except when my son tried to score standing up on a play at the plate. I banged him out and he looked at me with huge eyes, "Dad!!".

The following year his team had another umpire no-show at a field about 4 blocks from our house. I didn't want to see them have to play without an umpire so when they asked me again I went home got my gear and called the game. Good close game and a smiling opposing coach shook my hand after the game.

Then, last year, both coaches requested me for a make-up of one of my son's games on a Saturday at the end of the season. My only mistake in that game was when my son lined a shot between F7/F8 for a home run I started to jump up and cheer but caught myself before it looked like anything.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 01:32pm

My dad umpired one of my games from behind the mound when the umpire didn't show. He punched me out on strikes once, and when he called strike 3 on this little kid on my team named Joey, Joey took umbrage, started crying and yelled at my dad (complete with finger signals), "F*** you, you're a jiddy ump!" That game was the end of my dad's umpiring days!

Remember it like it was yesterday.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 03:53pm.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

That's hilarious, SDS!!
Old Fri Aug 07, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Sigh. And we were so close to having a reasonable exchange between the two of you.
Closed Thread