The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 08:48pm
cc6 cc6 is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 222
Which pitches are strikes?

A lot of people say they like to call strikes, but would you call the third pitch in this video a strike? Do you reward the catcher's framing on the last one?

YouTube - The 36 Inch Strike Zone
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Do you reward the catcher's framing on the last one?
Why would you "reward" that or really anything? The guy knows how to catch a ball correctly, big deal.

When you are setup further out than "cup on the corner" (ie. line up with your cup on the outside corner), I don't even know why you'd bother framing. Well, I guess I do know why, but I don't know why anyone would buy into it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
One of those could have been a strike.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:33pm
cc6 cc6 is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Why would you "reward" that or really anything? The guy knows how to catch a ball correctly, big deal.

When you are setup further out than "cup on the corner" (ie. line up with your cup on the outside corner), I don't even know why you'd bother framing. Well, I guess I do know why, but I don't know why anyone would buy into it.
I agree. Never heard the term "cup on the corner" but is that a good way to reference when the catcher is too far for framing to do the pitcher any good?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I agree. Never heard the term "cup on the corner" but is that a good way to reference when the catcher is too far for framing to do the pitcher any good?
I like to think it is, but that's just because it works for me. You figure if the guy has his cup on the corner, or more generally the middle of his body, a ball that he catches straight at him is probably right on the corner. To his right (on a lefty) gets the plate. Anything to his left (on a lefty) is a ball. The further out he moves, the less of a chance he has of being anywhere near the zone.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
One of those could have been a strike.
I might even go with the second as a strike....but the third....NO WAY!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 07:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Ah, quit your whinning, you looked at three hittable pitches, didn't take the bat off your shoulders once and call yourself a hitter. Sit your butt down.

Actually it was a little outside but, sometimes s**t happens baby.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Ah, quit your whinning, you looked at three hittable pitches, didn't take the bat off your shoulders once and call yourself a hitter. Sit your butt down.

Actually it was a little outside but, sometimes s**t happens baby.
You're kidding, right?!? Maybe the first, but the second and third pitches, I'd be embarrassed if I was the PU and saw this video of these strike calls.
__________________
Never argue with idiots...they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
Like he said.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
You're kidding, right?!? Maybe the first, but the second and third pitches, I'd be embarrassed if I was the PU and saw this video of these strike calls.
And I would be more embarrased as a hitter. He didn't complain about the pitches until the third one and I agree it was outside but, by then he should of known she was calling the pitch in that area and taken the dang bat off his shoulder. Any batter that allows three borderline pitches to go by and stand there and look like he can't wait to get back on defense, don't deserve to stand there long.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:27am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Like he said.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
First of all, I seldom if ever have anything scheduled immediately following a ballgame. So I don't call those strikes.

Secondly ...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In.
Posts: 2,192
Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
First of all, I seldom if ever have anything scheduled immediately following a ballgame. So I don't call those strikes.

Secondly ...
Whether you're willing to admit it or not, Kevin, I'm sure you've had your share of gross misses as well. We all have.................

Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
And I would be more embarrased as a hitter. He didn't complain about the pitches until the third one and I agree it was outside but, by then he should of known she was calling the pitch in that area and taken the dang bat off his shoulder. Any batter that allows three borderline pitches to go by and stand there and look like he can't wait to get back on defense, don't deserve to stand there long.
You should learn more about batting. And at what point in the game do you advise a batter should "take the bat off his shoulder" on a pitch a foot outside?

Two of those pitches were not "borderline," and their being called a strike is a disgrace to umpiring and as illuminated above, should be an embarrassment to any umpire caught on tape calling it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Whether you're willing to admit it or not, Kevin, I'm sure you've had your share of gross misses as well. We all have.................

Tim.
I have absolutely never called a pitch that far outside a strike. Never.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illegal Pitches Illini_Ref Baseball 2 Fri Jun 10, 2005 02:49pm
5 pitches = 5 outs! tornado Baseball 9 Thu Jun 24, 2004 01:29pm
How many warm up pitches? Bluefoot Softball 25 Mon Jun 14, 2004 04:14pm
Warm up pitches Jim Beltz Baseball 8 Sun Dec 08, 2002 02:30pm
One of the best pitches I saw....... Just Curious Softball 5 Tue Apr 16, 2002 04:13am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1