The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Last night doing a Bronco game I had 5 outs on 5 consecutive pitches! Anyone had a better streak lately??
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
that is a good streak, but I got another thing to add....In 3 innings doing town league I had 12 called 3rd strikes. Good pitches, kids didn't swing. Anyone ever had more than that?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Had this come up a few months ago, sort of the opposite of everyone elses. The visiting team is a lot better than the home team. Going into the bottom of the 5th, score is 11-1, visiting team ahead. There is a 10 run slaughter rule, so as long as the home team dosen't score, game is over. So 2 out, R3. Infield grounder, and I call BR safe at first, run scores.

Ok, top of 6th now. Score 11-2. First nine batters reach base, still no outs. Soon the 15th batter of the inning is up, still no outs. It's not like there were a lot of walks or errors, everyone was getting clean hits. Finally the 18th gets up, no outs R1 & R3, he hits a hard ground ball to F1, I'm thinking finally, someone will be out. F1 is looking to throw to first, but everyone is yelling 2. So he turns towards second, and throws in into centerfield. Eventually the 21 batter was the first man put out. Ended up having about 30 batters that half inning. It took just a little bit longer than those 3 pitch innings everyone else has.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

15-16 yr summer ball the other night

Didn't call a single ball until the 3rd inning

Home team hit the crap out of the ball so they hardly let anything by them (first 3 batters hit the first pitch).

Visitors were just getting rung up...hell of a pitcher.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:01pm
Veteran College Umpire

Collegiate League last year. First batter of the game hit by first pitch. Pitcher comes set, picks him off first. First pitch next batter, hit by pitch. First pitch next batter, double play. Unusual way to have a "three-pitch" inning.
Also did a D1 game 10 years ago where the visiting pitcher threw 9 "balls" in the whole game - and a 9-inning game at that. His philosophy - "Here it is - try and hit it!" Ended up pitching for the Angels a few years later...
Fun stuff!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

A world's first.

I had two double plays in the same half inning last night. Come to class fellas, you only get three.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: A world's first.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
I had two double plays in the same half inning last night. Come to class fellas, you only get three.
Not completely true. It's always possible to appeal for a fourth out. I don't know why anybody would want to be an @$$ and do that, but it's possible.

-Craig
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: A world's first.

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_eldren
Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Not completely true. It's always possible to appeal for a fourth out. I don't know why anybody would want to be an @$$ and do that, but it's possible.

-Craig
Sometimes the fourth out would not allow a run to score, so it makes perfect sense to do it sometimes.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Today, I called a 70 minute game. We played a full 7 innings. It was 0-0 going into the bottom of the 7th. Home team ended up scoring with one out. By far the fastest game of the year for me.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Had a Koufax league game last night where on team turned five double plays in seven innings, only one of which was of the caught fly ball/double up the runner variety.

The coach remarked that he hadn't seen them turn five double plays all year!
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates