The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Which pitches are strikes? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54186-pitches-strikes.html)

cc6 Thu Jul 30, 2009 08:48pm

Which pitches are strikes?

A lot of people say they like to call strikes, but would you call the third pitch in this video a strike? Do you reward the catcher's framing on the last one?

YouTube - The 36 Inch Strike Zone

briancurtin Thu Jul 30, 2009 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 618164)
Do you reward the catcher's framing on the last one?

Why would you "reward" that or really anything? The guy knows how to catch a ball correctly, big deal.

When you are setup further out than "cup on the corner" (ie. line up with your cup on the outside corner), I don't even know why you'd bother framing. Well, I guess I do know why, but I don't know why anyone would buy into it.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jul 30, 2009 09:28pm

One of those could have been a strike.

cc6 Thu Jul 30, 2009 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 618169)
Why would you "reward" that or really anything? The guy knows how to catch a ball correctly, big deal.

When you are setup further out than "cup on the corner" (ie. line up with your cup on the outside corner), I don't even know why you'd bother framing. Well, I guess I do know why, but I don't know why anyone would buy into it.

I agree. Never heard the term "cup on the corner" but is that a good way to reference when the catcher is too far for framing to do the pitcher any good?

briancurtin Thu Jul 30, 2009 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 618172)
I agree. Never heard the term "cup on the corner" but is that a good way to reference when the catcher is too far for framing to do the pitcher any good?

I like to think it is, but that's just because it works for me. You figure if the guy has his cup on the corner, or more generally the middle of his body, a ball that he catches straight at him is probably right on the corner. To his right (on a lefty) gets the plate. Anything to his left (on a lefty) is a ball. The further out he moves, the less of a chance he has of being anywhere near the zone.

Bishopcolle Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 618171)
One of those could have been a strike.

I might even go with the second as a strike....but the third....NO WAY!

jicecone Fri Jul 31, 2009 07:25am

Ah, quit your whinning, you looked at three hittable pitches, didn't take the bat off your shoulders once and call yourself a hitter. Sit your butt down.

Actually it was a little outside but, sometimes s**t happens baby.

scarolinablue Fri Jul 31, 2009 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 618201)
Ah, quit your whinning, you looked at three hittable pitches, didn't take the bat off your shoulders once and call yourself a hitter. Sit your butt down.

Actually it was a little outside but, sometimes s**t happens baby.

You're kidding, right?!? Maybe the first, but the second and third pitches, I'd be embarrassed if I was the PU and saw this video of these strike calls.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:23am

Like he said.

jicecone Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarolinablue (Post 618204)
You're kidding, right?!? Maybe the first, but the second and third pitches, I'd be embarrassed if I was the PU and saw this video of these strike calls.

And I would be more embarrased as a hitter. He didn't complain about the pitches until the third one and I agree it was outside but, by then he should of known she was calling the pitch in that area and taken the dang bat off his shoulder. Any batter that allows three borderline pitches to go by and stand there and look like he can't wait to get back on defense, don't deserve to stand there long.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jul 31, 2009 09:27am

Like he said.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 09:38am

First of all, I seldom if ever have anything scheduled immediately following a ballgame. So I don't call those strikes.

Secondly ...

BigUmp56 Fri Jul 31, 2009 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 618221)
First of all, I seldom if ever have anything scheduled immediately following a ballgame. So I don't call those strikes.

Secondly ...

Whether you're willing to admit it or not, Kevin, I'm sure you've had your share of gross misses as well. We all have.................

Tim.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 618213)
And I would be more embarrased as a hitter. He didn't complain about the pitches until the third one and I agree it was outside but, by then he should of known she was calling the pitch in that area and taken the dang bat off his shoulder. Any batter that allows three borderline pitches to go by and stand there and look like he can't wait to get back on defense, don't deserve to stand there long.

You should learn more about batting. And at what point in the game do you advise a batter should "take the bat off his shoulder" on a pitch a foot outside?

Two of those pitches were not "borderline," and their being called a strike is a disgrace to umpiring and as illuminated above, should be an embarrassment to any umpire caught on tape calling it.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 31, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56 (Post 618222)
Whether you're willing to admit it or not, Kevin, I'm sure you've had your share of gross misses as well. We all have.................

Tim.

I have absolutely never called a pitch that far outside a strike. Never.