View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
How many people notice? After a game if you polled both of the teams as well as the spectators and asked them if they noticed anything about the trim on the umpires' shirts what percentage would be able to tell you that one had wider stripes? And what percentage of them would say that the difference in stripes bothered them?

I never said that shoes with a logo would not be noticed. I said no one would care. No player is sitting in the dugout and saying "I can't believe that guy is wearing those shoes on the field." Of course people will notice whatever color shirt the umpire is wearing but they will not care. It is an umpire shirt and it is fine with them.

Dirty, wrinkled pants with holes is different. You seem to equate that to using a "non-standard color" of shirt. I don't even know how you define a "non-standard color". Wasn't navy non-standard when it first came out? Polo blue had never been seen until a few years ago but not it is common.
You're a disagreeable person, so it's only natural for you to also disagree with whatever contention I might make on this subject.

Take a poll ... I simply choose to go along with the accepted practices out of respect for the vocation.

I wasn't equating anything with shirts that don't match. I was emphasizing that, from the tip of the button on the top of one's cap, to the tip of one's shoes---everything matters. The way a patch is affixed to a pocket matters. The way a shirt is tucked in matters. The way slacks fit matters. The way shoes are cleaned matters. Everything matters. It matters to most umpires, some baseball people and a few observers. It also matters to every evaluator and almost every assignor. We had an assignor reject the wider stripe OC black shirts. Another assigner declared at the playoff meeting: "And don't even think of showing up with one of those shirts that doesn't match anybody else's. The ones with the pink buttons like his! Get a real shirt."

It matters, and it will continue to matter to me. If it does not matter to you, go ahead and continue to think and do whatever you wish.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jul 20, 2009 at 03:42pm.