The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp View Post
As far as having the crowd come to see you, I did have my girlfriend come watch me work an over-30 game and she constituted the entire crowd in the behind-home section.

Then proceeded to flirt with PU the entire game.
You had the bases, right?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I had the bases. And a LONG game it was with PU hanging out at the backstop between innings
And on fouls
And probably on steals at 2B
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
After thinking about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For some, you are correct. For others, respect is not the issue: they will take advantage of whatever the umpire allows.
Upon reflection, what you say is true. There are those that will never proffer respect. They would twist our very words to rationalize their behavior.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I still like to umpire every game as if the late Barney Deary or John McSherry were in the stands evaluating me. I put on the professional show every time out.

SDS

How many years did Big John say your umpiring set baseball back? You were lucky if it was not double digits. Didn't Big John say there were two leagues, the Big Leagues and the American League?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
SDS

How many years did Big John say your umpiring set baseball back? You were lucky if it was not double digits. Didn't Big John say there were two leagues, the Big Leagues and the American League?
I only had the chance to meet and speak with John once, and it was very briefly in the parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium before a Padres game. I'm sure if the conversation would have been longer, he would have dropped one of his pearls of wisdom on me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufan1975 View Post
I posted the thread last week about the ejection for the golfswing and also the comment the batter made. And after reading what MR. STEVESHANE67 posted as a reply, just thought I would comment..

Do you officiate other sports?

How many situations have you had to diffuse in a game?

Now the update, I umpired a 9 inning game with the same team yesterday in the HOT weather. Game went great, no problems, and the kids were actually nice and kept their heads in the HEAT. In the first inning I could hear the kids talking in the dugout about it being the same umpire that ejected our teammate the other day, I kind of laughed and thought to myself "THERE IS PROBABLY SOME GUY OUT THERE THAT THOUGHT I WAS WRONG FOR EJECTING THAT KID LAST WEEK(MR. steveshane67), but that was my MAIN REASON FOR DOING IT.

You only earn respect from anyone when you show what you WONT TAKE!!!

As referees or umpires in any sport, there comes a time in the game when things can turn in a instant, you can either become a UMPIRE(OFFICAL) or become...... steveshane67!!!!
To answer your questions I dont officiate other sports, and havent had to diffuse many in game situations. BUT Ive had to diffuse many many much more serious situations before, ALL with no problems. In real life I dont need to beat people with my fists, I just relate to people and use sound logic.

Now I have a couple questions for you

1) Did you eject the batter after he said "I can take as much time as I want"?
2) would it be reasonable to assume that the last thing a player/coach says/does before they are ejected is the cause of their ejection?
3) do most players know all of the rules?
4) is misquoting a rule an ejectionable offense?
5) where is the ejectionable offense here?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 02:34am

Here are the facts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post

1) Did you eject the batter after he said "I can take as much time as I want"?
2) would it be reasonable to assume that the last thing a player/coach says/does before they are ejected is the cause of their ejection?
3) do most players know all of the rules?
4) is misquoting a rule an ejectionable offense?
5) where is the ejectionable offense here?
1) If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing his job properly. The warden runs the asylum, not the inmates.

2) Usually, and that is why he was ejected, for mouthing off to the umpire.

3) Sadly, not even a few of the rules, but he was not questioning the rules, he was speaking in a manner that would have gotten him punched out if he talked that way to someone say, on the street, for example. You don't address authority figures that way without consequences. Words mean things.

4) No, but defying an order from the umpire to get in the box and hit most definitely is.

5) Telling an umpire how to do his job and not doing what the umpire lawfully directs you to do is an automatic ejection, what planet have you been living on where it isn't?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
1) If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing his job properly. The warden runs the asylum, not the inmates.

2) Usually, and that is why he was ejected, for mouthing off to the umpire.

3) Sadly, not even a few of the rules, but he was not questioning the rules, he was speaking in a manner that would have gotten him punched out if he talked that way to someone say, on the street, for example. You don't address authority figures that way without consequences. Words mean things.

4) No, but defying an order from the umpire to get in the box and hit most definitely is.

5) Telling an umpire how to do his job and not doing what the umpire lawfully directs you to do is an automatic ejection, what planet have you been living on where it isn't?
So lets assume a different situation, a batter steps out in between pitches, goes into some extended nomar readjusting/taking a few swings routine, the ump says something to the effect of "batter step into the box..." the batter says "hold on, im not ready yet" do you really expect the batter to be ejected here?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So lets assume a different situation, a batter steps out in between pitches, goes into some extended nomar readjusting/taking a few swings routine, the ump says something to the effect of "batter step into the box..." the batter says "hold on, im not ready yet" do you really expect the batter to be ejected here?
No. But, he is not saying "I can do what I want and you can't stop me". There is a difference and you seem to be missing it.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
No. But, he is not saying "I can do what I want and you can't stop me". There is a difference and you seem to be missing it.
No, he didnt say that, he simply said "I can take as much time as I want". Obviously hes just another player who doesnt know that he only has X seconds to get back in the batters box. I agree if the batter says "you cant stop me, or starts saying something with his hands behind his ears..." then that could be an ejectionable offense

and besides, according to MLB rule 6.02 C
Quote:
If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out.
The punishment for not getting back in the batters box is a strike, not an ejection.

As I hear all the time on here, the umps job is to enforce all the rules as written, not to administer their own personal views on various situations.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

After the batter's demonstration of arguing balls and strikes, and then comes back with a comment like that. It had nothing to do with him refusing to get in the box. I guess only so much can be conveyed in writing for others to understand. I can imagine the actions of the batter as he is doing all of this as to say "I can do what I want and you can't tell me what to do." EJ time at that point. Get another batter who is really want to play the game and not be a jerk.

I have no problem with him being EJ. Next time, he will behave better towards the umpire. If he hadn't done all of his previous shenanigans, then I would wonder about the EJ. But, with his "golf swing" demonstration and saying something just to be a jerk, that calls for an appropriate EJ. Too bad, you seem to condone this type of behavior.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, he didnt say that, he simply said "I can take as much time as I want". Obviously hes just another player who doesnt know that he only has X seconds to get back in the batters box. I agree if the batter says "you cant stop me, or starts saying something with his hands behind his ears..." then that could be an ejectionable offense

and besides, according to MLB rule 6.02 C

The punishment for not getting back in the batters box is a strike, not an ejection.

As I hear all the time on here, the umps job is to enforce all the rules as written, not to administer their own personal views on various situations.
And, he did enforce the rules as written. All of that taken together is unsportsmanlike conduct. Violates 9.01(d).
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
<sigh....>

Please don't feed the trolls...
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
After the batter's demonstration of arguing balls and strikes, and then comes back with a comment like that. It had nothing to do with him refusing to get in the box. I guess only so much can be conveyed in writing for others to understand. I can imagine the actions of the batter as he is doing all of this as to say "I can do what I want and you can't tell me what to do." EJ time at that point. Get another batter who is really want to play the game and not be a jerk.

I have no problem with him being EJ. Next time, he will behave better towards the umpire. If he hadn't done all of his previous shenanigans, then I would wonder about the EJ. But, with his "golf swing" demonstration and saying something just to be a jerk, that calls for an appropriate EJ. Too bad, you seem to condone this type of behavior.
Where are you getting this from????
all he said was "i can take as much time as i want". he obviously didnt know the rules about the batter cant take as much time as they want. there was no "you cant tell me what to do attitude, only a simple misunderstanding of the rules"

ill ask again, So lets assume a different situation, a batter steps out in between pitches, goes into some extended nomar readjusting/taking a few swings routine, the ump says something to the effect of "batter step into the box..." the batter says "hold on, im not ready yet" do you really expect the batter to be ejected here?
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where are you getting this from????
all he said was "i can take as much time as i want". he obviously didnt know the rules about the batter cant take as much time as they want. there was no "you cant tell me what to do attitude, only a simple misunderstanding of the rules"

ill ask again, So lets assume a different situation, a batter steps out in between pitches, goes into some extended nomar readjusting/taking a few swings routine, the ump says something to the effect of "batter step into the box..." the batter says "hold on, im not ready yet" do you really expect the batter to be ejected here?
Forget it. Don't worry about it. Life goes on even though you don't understand.