The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

After last weekend Ejection, no problem ... steveshane67

I posted the thread last week about the ejection for the golfswing and also the comment the batter made. And after reading what MR. STEVESHANE67 posted as a reply, just thought I would comment..

Do you officiate other sports?

How many situations have you had to diffuse in a game?

Now the update, I umpired a 9 inning game with the same team yesterday in the HOT weather. Game went great, no problems, and the kids were actually nice and kept their heads in the HEAT. In the first inning I could hear the kids talking in the dugout about it being the same umpire that ejected our teammate the other day, I kind of laughed and thought to myself "THERE IS PROBABLY SOME GUY OUT THERE THAT THOUGHT I WAS WRONG FOR EJECTING THAT KID LAST WEEK(MR. steveshane67), but that was my MAIN REASON FOR DOING IT.

You only earn respect from anyone when you show what you WONT TAKE!!!

As referees or umpires in any sport, there comes a time in the game when things can turn in a instant, you can either become a UMPIRE(OFFICAL) or become...... steveshane67!!!!
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Hmmm...

I always thought you earned respect by being consistent and fair.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon View Post
I always thought you earned respect by being consistent and fair.
For some, you are correct. For others, respect is not the issue: they will take advantage of whatever the umpire allows.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Being consistent and fair does earn respect from those who actually know what it means. The jerk the OP dealt with was not one of these kind of people it sounds like. He didn't like the call and expressed that he was a jerk. So, he got EJ.

EJ earns fear of being humiliated and not getting to play anymore. Some, this won't affect them and they will still be an idiot. But, for others, this will prevent them from thinking about doing something stupid. They don't want others talking and laughing at them. And, for those who want to play the game despite what they think, this will keep them from trying to umpire and just playing the game.

It really depends on the individual you are having to deal with.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Being consistent and fair does earn respect from those who actually know what it means. The jerk the OP dealt with was not one of these kind of people it sounds like. He didn't like the call and expressed that he was a jerk. So, he got EJ.

EJ earns fear of being humiliated and not getting to play anymore. Some, this won't affect them and they will still be an idiot. But, for others, this will prevent them from thinking about doing something stupid. They don't want others talking and laughing at them. And, for those who want to play the game despite what they think, this will keep them from trying to umpire and just playing the game.

It really depends on the individual you are having to deal with.
Good post. Just like there are some players and coaches that act up and need to be put in their place, some Umpires take way too much grief. Not only do they have to put up with all the yapping, they pass the problem on to the next crew.
Then we have Umpires who feel that people came to watch them umpire. They are cocky and confontational and toooo quick to toss at the first cross word or look.
95% of the game calls itself. We are there to decide/decipher the other 5% of the plays that are real close or need a rule interpreted/applied.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
Then we have Umpires who feel that people came to watch them umpire.
I have never, ever met an umpire who thinks this.

I've worked with umpire who made mistakes, and I worked with umpire who weren't ready for that particular level. I 've worked with umpires who imitated some pros "big" mechanics. But, despite this coaches' mantra, I have never met an umpire who believed the crowd came to see him. Personally, I think its a horsesh!t complaint.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
I have never, ever met an umpire who thinks this.

I've worked with umpire who made mistakes, and I worked with umpire who weren't ready for that particular level. I 've worked with umpires who imitated some pros "big" mechanics. But, despite this coaches' mantra, I have never met an umpire who believed the crowd came to see him. Personally, I think its a horsesh!t complaint.
I met 2. One calmed down. The other is no longer with our assoc.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I met 2. One calmed down. The other is no longer with our assoc.
You seem to be judging his belief based on his actions. Did you ever ask him? Did either tell you, "the fans all came to see me."? Just because an umpire acts in any particular manner does not necessarily mean he BELIEVES the crowd came to see HIM.

It's an insult made up by coaches.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:11pm

Quote:
Then we have Umpires who feel that people came to watch them umpire.
I go to major league games mainly to watch the umpires, but then again...I'm weird!

And though I realize that nobody (except maybe my wife sometimes) comes to games to see me umpire, I still like to umpire every game as if the late Barney Deary or John McSherry were in the stands evaluating me. I put on the professional show every time out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
You seem to be judging his belief based on his actions. Did you ever ask him? Just because an umpire acts in any particular manner does not necessarily mean he BELIEVES the crowd came to see HIM.

It's an insult made up by coaches.
Of course they would'nt say it. Their attitues, actions and demeanor gave off that vibe, and not just to the coaches! Nobody in our assoc. wanted to work with them. One of them was straightned out by our evaluators right away. The one who no longer works for us would lead in ejections every year, he was so confrontational. He is now with another group doing 11-12 and 13-14 rec. ball.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course they would'nt say it. Their attitues, actions and demeanor gave off that vibe, and not just to the coaches! Nobody in our assoc. wanted to work with them. One of them was straightned out by our evaluators right away. The one who no longer works for us would lead in ejections every year, he was so confrontational. He is now with another group doing 11-12 and 13-14 rec. ball.
Sounds like they want to be the center of attention, not that they think they are. These types cant distinguish between authority and common sense!!!
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For some, you are correct. For others, respect is not the issue: they will take advantage of whatever the umpire allows.
When you let these kids and coaches walk all over you and question things about your judgement and consistency, then what do us as umpires do?

We are given RULES to use to make the game play out by itself, like someone said on here, the game plays itself out.

One thing that gets me about some guys is how they deal with confrontation, some may shrivel up and become the coaches best friend or some may use the tools we are given as a official to make the game that much better for the kids.

Like I was told the other day after talking to a few guys about my ejection, what does the word STAR spell backwards.......
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I go to major league games mainly to watch the umpires, but then again...I'm weird!

And though I realize that nobody (except maybe my wife sometimes) comes to games to see me umpire, I still like to umpire every game as if the late Barney Deary or John McSherry were in the stands evaluating me. I put on the professional show every time out.
Me too Steve! I am always telling my wife "did you notice who made that call at third? It was the HPU!" She isn't impressed.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:14pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Me too Steve! I am always telling my wife "did you notice who made that call at third? It was the HPU!" She isn't impressed.
Time to reevaluate that "starter wife"....

JJ
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

As far as having the crowd come to see you, I did have my girlfriend come watch me work an over-30 game and she constituted the entire crowd in the behind-home section.

Then proceeded to flirt with PU the entire game.