The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Is this a problem or what

I emailed someone about working a HS tourny at some area Junior college and well look at the email he sent me back.
"Thanks for the interest but we use our own players for referees."
Wow am I glad that I am not working with those guys. I'd hate to be a player or a coach either. Can never be good to have Junior College players as refs.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Must not be a very serious tournament.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I emailed someone about working a HS tourny at some area Junior college and well look at the email he sent me back.
"Thanks for the interest but we use our own players for referees."
Wow am I glad that I am not working with those guys. I'd hate to be a player or a coach either. Can never be good to have Junior College players as refs.
Just my 2 cents.
Might be worth the price of admission, though, to go watch.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Isn't there a requirement in your state for hs games to be played with qualified officials?
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Don't you guys see this in your area?

We have quite a bit of it during the off season, even at private colleges. It saves them money. Gives the kids a chance to run up and down the floor, practice on certain plays. The bad thing is it's easy for them to develop bad habits since the students/refs don't always know the rules very well. I don't know how much it happens during the season.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
apperently you've never been to a club with few referees (mine). Almost all our games (except for our two eldest teams) are called by three referees, I'm one of them. We're 16, 15 and 14 years old. Calling evrything from Girls-16 to boys-11. The youngest, nah, who cares. But I have many many games been younger then the people I'm calling (not to mention the coaches). nobody cares though, they know there's no other referees to get...
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

All summer leagues, fall leagues, spring leagues, HS, MS, Little Dribblers, etc. use CERTIFIED and INSURED officials! If you go with anything else, you are BEGGING to get sued and lose your backside! All I can say is NO WAY! I won't even work with a non-certified official. I am not putting my behind on the line for someone who is not even trained appropriately.

Does that mean their officials don't do a good job, NO. I just don't want the liabilities associated with any possible injuries or problems.

But hey, that's just my take.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it just possible that some of these JC players are certified/registered officials? I was registered and worked games back when I was playing JV ball while in college. It was a great way to earn some beer money for those late nights spent studying.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
All summer leagues, fall leagues, spring leagues, HS, MS, Little Dribblers, etc. use CERTIFIED and INSURED officials! If you go with anything else, you are BEGGING to get sued and lose your backside! All I can say is NO WAY! I won't even work with a non-certified official. I am not putting my behind on the line for someone who is not even trained appropriately.

Does that mean their officials don't do a good job, NO. I just don't want the liabilities associated with any possible injuries or problems.

But hey, that's just my take.
I've reffed before (never certified) to help out my old HS, to help out other coaches I know, and to help out youth leagues. How are you going to get certified officials for every 9-10 year old youth league in any major city? It is simply never going to happen. If you don't want to do those games, fine, and I know that most officials, as they move up, leave these games behind. But, if there is going to be any youth basketball in this country, I don't see how this idea will work.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I got the impression, this time of year, that the OP was talking about a mid-season tournament of some kind. I know a lot of states require that any high school games sanctioned by the governing body be worked by certified refs; in Iowa, for example, the penalty for non-compliance is forfeiture of the game by the home team.

If this is a non-sanctioned tourney, that’s a different story altogether.

While it’s possible they have enough certified refs at the college to work a tournament; it’s not likely. Furthermore, if they’re limiting the pool to their players; I’d say it’s even less likely they have enough (unless they require all their players to get certified as officials).
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
How are you going to get certified officials for every 9-10 year old youth league in any major city? It is simply never going to happen. If you don't want to do those games, fine,.
It’s quite easy, you call them. I have lived in and around major cities all my life and there is no problem getting Certified Officials to work these games. So what your saying is not true.

[/QUOTE]and I know that most officials, as they move up, leave these games behind. But, if there is going to be any youth basketball in this country, I don't see how this idea will work.[/QUOTE]

That is true, but there are new Officials coming in every year to fill the void, and they will work these games. There are many Certified Officials that prefer working youth basketball and do not want to move up. So youth basketball in this country will not suffer because of a lack of Officials.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

In Cleveland there are, off the top of my head, at least 5 referee schools. (I'm sure there are more that I don't know about) These five schoolsaverage about 20-25 students in them, meaning that there are over 100 new referees every year. I dare some of them would love to work that younger rec stuff.

There is a significant athletic organization about an hour from where I live that does not use certified referees. Two years ago it made the paper here that a coach of a 6th grade team was charged with assaulting a referee in the parking lot. I never heard the final resolution of his court case, but like everything else, there are two sides to the story.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way condoning the behavior of the coach.

Two brothers aged 16 and 14 were the referees. Apparently this coach was complaining about their calls during the game and in response the older one, "If you don't like the last one, wait until you see the next one." Nice Huh? (Of course, we've all fantasized about saying something like that ) Seriously though, after the game the two young officials were at their car cleaning off the snow when the coach came out. As he walked by he said to the referees something about it not being right that the game was officiated in that manner. The younger 14 year old went off spewing F-Bomb after F-Bomb at the guy. As you can imagine, that set the guy off and he ended up assaulting him.

All could've been avoided if this high profile organization would just use certified referees.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
or if that 14 yo boy would have been smart enough to keep his mouth shut (and his older brother smart enough to make sure his little brother kept quiet)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Isn't it just possible that some of these JC players are certified/registered officials? I was registered and worked games back when I was playing JV ball while in college. It was a great way to earn some beer money for those late nights spent studying.
You should add that you were of legal age at the time, beeref.