The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
New problem to think about

Had a new situation develop yesterday that I'm not sure how to handle if it happens again. I was lead, table-side. The play was closely contested, so I was focused exclusively on the floor. There was a shot, miss, rerbound, and we headed off the other direction. As I picked up my feet to start sprinting, my head came up as well, and my vision spread out. To my right, I noticed a coach and several players walking along the sideline toward their seats. They had been huddled in the corner of the gym at the end of the bleachers, and the bench had been empty. I had not noticed at all.

They sat back down immediately, and as I said, play was intense and fast and I had to get down to the other end and help my partner. I debated momentarily whether to address the "field trip", but before I could really think what to say or do, I just dropped the whole thing.

Later, I asked my partner if he'd seen or noticed this action by the bench. He had noticed, but felt that since this was summer ball, and it was a more relaxed atmosphere, and since the coach hadn't given us any grief at all, so that we knew he wasn't trying to show us up or anything, he felt it wasn't worth worrying about. I asked him what he'd do if it happened again. He said if they did it again, he'd tell the coach that was all. I asked what he'd do if he saw it during the season. He said hoped it never would.

Comments? Suggestions? Rulings?
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
What were they doing in the corner? Trying to tape up a player? Talking strategy? Getting a drink of water?

I agree with your partner in that I wouldn't worry about it in summer ball. In the regular season, I would direct the coach to the bench as soon as I noticed it. If it happened a second time, I would be very tempted to T him just for being stupid.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

In adult rec/summer ball as long as they're off the floor and not interfering with play, are making no effort to enter the floor, or aren't unduly screaming at me or my partner, I'm not too concerned. If it's youth ball (HS or younger) and I thought it was obvious the coach had them off to the side for some coaching and had the kids under control, again I don't much care. If it's kids from a team in the current game and they're unsupervised, at the first dead ball I would tell the coach to get them under control.

School game...whole different story.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Just a random thought to inject into the fray: If a player is not allowed to change jerseys within the visual confines of the playing area, and players are not allowed away from the playing area unsupervised (okay, that's a logical extension of the prohibition against ejecting players, but you see my thinking), then when a player ducks under the bleachers or away from the floor to change a jersey, must a coach go with him/her? And if so, can coaching take place? How long may the player be away from the playing area? May other team members be present?
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the others.... I wouldn't make an issue of it in summer ball. If you wanted to say something to the coach, you could bump him into him/her later and make sure he/she knew that wasn't acceptable during school ball season.

Z
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Just a random thought to inject into the fray: If a player is not allowed to change jerseys within the visual confines of the playing area, and players are not allowed away from the playing area unsupervised (okay, that's a logical extension of the prohibition against ejecting players, but you see my thinking), then when a player ducks under the bleachers or away from the floor to change a jersey, must a coach go with him/her? And if so, can coaching take place? How long may the player be away from the playing area? May other team members be present?
As an official, we do not send a player anywhere other than to the team bench. If they need to change jerseys, the manner and location in which they do so is up to the coach....there are no rules governing the changing of a jersey other than that it can not be in the visual confines of the court. The coach, based only on the rules of the basketball, can send the player out alone to change or may send others to help/supervise.

There may be district or state rules on coach behavior that dictates that the all players must be supervised at all times while participating in a school event but that is not up to officials to enforce.